• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing MDT ESS forend - easily stripped

FCSA-UK

UK
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2018
A word of warning for all you MDT ESS users. Took of the forend from my MDT ESS chassis today to remove the bipod stud (to fit an MDT picatinny rail underneath), went to refit the forend using a fairly small hex wrench, just snugged up with very little force indeed in preparation for torquing with a torque wrench and hey presto, the bolt just spins, and spins, I stripped the thread - and thats before its been torqued up to 30 inch. Beginning to think I should have stuck with KRG... I'm the kind of person who treats these rifles like they are made of glass, so gutted.

Do you guys run your forend with the bolts not tightened at all, or just an inch pound and some loctite?!

Last edited:
Its been a while but I think the ESS fore end has steel inserts in the forearm, its possible that they
can get loose and rotate.

I would re peen them or use some red locktite between the aluminum and steel inset overnight to bond
it.

I was way under the 30 inch pounds as stated in the manual, I'll tighten the remaining 2 to this torque and see what happens.

Attachments

• 20240302_155730.jpg
    20240302_155730.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hmm, not happy at all now, my "finger tight" torque was indeed finger tight, using the torque wrench the middle bolt continued to tighten but then spun out at 26 inch pounds, the 3rd was OK, half a turn and it locked tight at 30 inch pounds.

Torque wrench is calibrated and used for my scope rings.

So that's 2 threaded holes ruined at under the manufacturers torque.

These are steel inserts (tested with magnet) but must be super soft. I'll speak to MDT, hopefully they can be pushed out and replaced.

Last edited:
Hmm, not happy at all now, my "finger tight" torque was indeed finger tight, using the torque wrench the middle bolt continued to tighten but then spun out at 26 inch pounds, the 3rd was OK, half a turn and it locked tight at 30 inch pounds.

Torque wrench is calibrated and used for my scope rings.

So that's 2 threaded holes ruined at under the manufacturers torque.

These are steel inserts (tested with magnet) but must be super soft. I'll speak to MDT, hopefully they can be pushed out and replaced.
They will probably just replace the fore arm

Reactions: FCSA-UK
Update. Well MDT made good, they replaced the fore end without any argument, in fact its worked out slightly better as there were no 15" in stock so ended up with an 18" which'll suit my rifle better anyway. Now I'm slightly apprehensive about tightening this one up, will probably snug it up to 20 inch pounds then re-torque to 25 after a few rounds.