• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT GRND-Pod

neeltburn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2013
South Western Indiana
I admittedly I run Harris Bipods with RRS adapters and have really been eyeing the TBAC bipod but I’m really digging the info on the new MDT GRND-POD. Anyone got any details from SHOT?

Last edited:
I admittedly I run Harris Bipods with RRS adapters and have really been eyeing the TBAC bipod but I’m really digging the info on the new MDT GRND-POD. Anyone got any details from SHOT?

If you go on my instagram, Covernoob5, I did a short video on it. It’s in the highlights section of my page.

Ooohh! I want to see more on this, I'm in the market for a new bipod right now.

Reactions: Taylorbok
I checked it out on Wednesday when I was there. For 200 bucks, seems like a great option for a hunting rifle where you don't need all the fancyness of the Ckye pod. They did say they would be coming out with a all black version as well in the future but the green will be first to release.

0862BA3A-36B7-4C59-9D03-2ED4CD4D306D.jpeg
68B1D213-E123-4DFA-B19A-51808F13F1AF.jpeg

Reactions: MDT_Josh
It’s a home run if they offer a pic/arca combo Mount. The Allen head screw mount for pic isn’t ideal though I would probably get the arca mount. It has some good point still though.

Reactions: BigPrince
Cause it's not a Harris
You’re right Harris has much better leg deployment than most bipods on the market. It’s a nice to have another option and they should sell really well at that price. My opinion is they should have spring loaded leg deployment and made the top green piece an inch or two so the apex of the legs would have been over the barrel

The whole “buttonless pull the leg to deploy” thing can be a total pain in the ass, depending on the foot attachment and the level of effort needed to pull the leg out.

First off, I’m not a PRS on-the-clock sort of guy. I’m a stationary varmint hunter and I usually use a huge sandbag.

I have a Elite Iron that is awesome when you have it deployed. But man, the legs catch and slide way out super easy when taking the rifle out of my case or maneuvering the rifle around (bipod folded up). They catch on clothing, shooting tables, and invisible pixie hair; I swear I just glance their way and they extend (maybe I’m just extremely good looking?).

I often wind up with one leg fully extended and the other fully retracted. Sigh.

The EI has really nice feet that work in all sorts of environments, but they stick out like elephant ears. I might call them to see if they can modify it so one must push a button to retract AND extend.

If the you don’t put flared feet on your MDT bipod, there probably won’t be a problem. Just throwing it out there.

In discussions like these, it always amazes me how much Harris bipods got right.

Last edited:
I want to see a 8"-14" version.

I tend to use my ckye pod in that range. I don't like tiny back bags. Need enough height to get above the grass, and shoot uphill.

It's just not comfortable to be smashed into the ground with my head cranked back. Give me some height and I'm way more comfortable.

Shit I’d buy 5 of them right now if they were on the shelves. That’s a lot of bipod for $200.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
aaaaaaaaaand never mind

Still looks nice, and I am sure I'll get one to play with but I was hoping it would be a little lighter.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: b6graham
This is one of those products that makes a guy say to himself, "I think I like what I'm seeing, but, well, umm, (head scratch) maybe I like what I'm seeing...wait, no, I think I can do better" lol. I'm not trying to be harsh, It's a perfectly nice little bipod and I'm sure it'll serve it's purpose well. And I'm glad MDT can produce a bipod under $700 lol. But I don't care for the CF in this case and, is that polymer right at that first junction? Some kind of MIM?

This is one of those products that makes a guy say to himself, "I think I like what I'm seeing, but, well, umm, (head scratch) maybe I like what I'm seeing...wait, no, I think I can do better" lol. I'm not trying to be harsh, It's a perfectly nice little bipod and I'm sure it'll serve it's purpose well. And I'm glad MDT can produce a bipod under $700 lol. But I don't care for the CF in this case and, is that polymer right at that first junction? Some kind of MIM?
i'd be cool with the carbon fiber...if it weighed 8-10 ounces with a mount

The Pic Rail version of the GRND Pod is 0.7 oz heavier than a CAL with ADM 107 clamp. And the MDT product is $100 cheaper.

So you guys are complaining about saving $100 while only picking up a 5% increase in weight. :rolleyes:

The Pic Rail version of the GRND Pod is 0.7 oz heavier than a CAL with ADM 107 clamp. And the MDT product is $100 cheaper.

So you guys are complaining about saving $100 while only picking up a 5% increase in weight. :rolleyes:
i think it has more to do with it being carbon fiber and heavier than a metal bipod

obviously leg weight is minimal either way but for 2oz more than the current version or whatever that weight is i'd rather it be all metal and potentially? cheaper yet

i'm not saying its going to be a bad bipod. it looks decent for the price especially and i'll probably pick one up anyways

I hated my CAL (v1 and V2). I could never get the tensions (locked vs unlocked) where I wanted them.

I'll try the MDT when it's released, I couldn't care less about the weight.

Reactions: kmckinnon
I was just hoping with the polymer/CF and reduced feature set it would be the ultralight Atlas for my hunting rifles I've always wanted.

I
I hated my CAL (v1 and V2). I could never get the tensions (locked vs unlocked) where I wanted them.

I'll try the MDT when it's released, I couldn't care less about the weight.
'm gonna try a CAL on my next rifle, is it just the tension knob you don't care for?

I

'm gonna try a CAL on my next rifle, is it just the tension knob you don't care for?

I like the knob, it's a KMW PodLoc.

When I set the tension to how I want it when locked, it's too tight when unlocked. I could never find compromise. I tried another one and it was the same. I just don't like the design. IME, a Harris BRM-S w/ KMW is far better for tension adjustments.

Reactions: TmisterE and lash
I

I feel like lots of guys bought the CAL, based on other people telling them its what they need, not understanding what the CAL doesnt do. Go through searches here, bunch of "buy the CAL" when newer shooters ask about what to buy, with no explanation of the "WHY". There is some great youtube video explaining some model differences but its considerably older and I believe focuses on the Atlas before the PSR.

The PSR model (for me) was the better choice. Cant imagine using the CAL instead. Even in the youtube video shared, the reviewer says "doesnt have pan, which you dont really need"...why?

A lot of guys buy "PRS" recommended gear, and dont shoot PRS. Pan (IMO) is useful for many situations where you dont have perfectly straight line of sight towards the target.

I love MDT gear, so I'd try this, but (IMO) the Atlas PSR represents one of the best options on the market for bipods in its price range.

I don't know if I missed anyone asking this question. But does anyone know if the existing mounts pic/arca for the ckye pods, will be able to swap over? I have a couple extra and figure that would be sweet if so. 🤙

Semper fi
Horner

"Dont really need pan"? Speak for yourself, but thats a nonstarter for me. Also playing it fast and loose w/ "budget". "Not a top tier price" would be more apt. $200 is still 2 full days of work for many.
Yeah, that exact line is what got me too. At some point people need to evolve towards not blindly repeating the stupid things they hear/see on the internet as fact.

If pan wasnt necessary, it would have never been a feature on any decent bipod in the market.

I mean $200 for a good bipod is budget. This isn’t a cheap hobby. I’d never let anyone buy a shit magpul. Even the Harris isn’t great because by the time you upgrade the parts for arca, cant, etc it becomes a $300+ bipod. So $200 for something like this is factually both a budget and a good option.
Realistically speaking is someone can’t afford this bipod then they probably can’t afford to stay in this sport long either.
And the pan feature as I stated is not used in the comp world. If that’s something you use shooting somewhere for fun then sure It applies I guess.

Yeah, that exact line is what got me too. At some point people need to evolve towards not blindly repeating the stupid things they hear/see on the internet as fact.

If pan wasnt necessary, it would have never been a feature on any decent bipod in the market.
But now you have bipods taking out the pan feature. Atlas cal, the new lightweight ckypod, the tbac, etc. They aren’t taking it out to make them cheaper.

But now you have bipods taking out the pan feature. Atlas cal, the new lightweight ckypod, the tbac, etc. They aren’t taking it out to make them cheaper.
Speak to some of these mfgs. behind closed doors, they tell you they make what sells. If reducing the amount of resources needed to make an item nets them the same (or more) amount of cash because we're in a hobby of parrots and that's what their customer says, of course they'll do it regardless of the practical implications.

If you don't want a pan feature and also think to get a serviceable Harris you need to spend $300 and also think not wanting to spend $200+ on a bipod disqualifies you from the hobby, then you do you. But remember, your thoughts aren't the only thoughts.

Speak to some of these mfgs. behind closed doors, they tell you they make what sells. If reducing the amount of resources needed to make an item nets them the same (or more) amount of cash because we're in a hobby of parrots and that's what their customer says, of course they'll do it regardless of the practical implications.

If you don't want a pan feature and also think to get a serviceable Harris you need to spend $300 and also think not wanting to spend $200+ on a bipod disqualifies you from the hobby, then you do you. But remember, your thoughts aren't the only thoughts.
Speak to some top end competitors and shoot with them and they’ll all tell you they don’t want pan for matches. It’s a terrible idea. When would you actually use it in a match.
And for a Harris you need cant at minimum I think we can all agree on that. If you still want to attach it via the sling stud mount then have fun. So a Harris at $100 then add a pod-loc that’s about $150ish. This is only $50 more with more features. I know which one I’d recommend.

If you can’t spend $200 on a bipod then you probably shoot factory ammo as well, ok fine. 80-100 rounds for a 1 day match will cost you more than $200 at todays prices.
If you reload I’m willing to bet you aren’t attaching your bipod for a match rifle via sling stud so that Harris just got more expensive once you put a pic or arca clamp on it.

Speak to some top end competitors and shoot with them and they’ll all tell you they don’t want pan for matches. It’s a terrible idea. When would you actually use it in a match.
And for a Harris you need cant at minimum I think we can all agree on that. If you still want to attach it via the sling stud mount then have fun. So a Harris at $100 then add a pod-loc that’s about $150ish. This is only $50 more with more features. I know which one I’d recommend.

If you can’t spend $200 on a bipod then you probably shoot factory ammo as well, ok fine. 80-100 rounds for a 1 day match will cost you more than $200 at todays prices.
If you reload I’m willing to bet you aren’t attaching your bipod for a match rifle via sling stud so that Harris just got more expensive once you put a pic or arca clamp on it.
Dont be so quick to make all of those assumptions.

And "top end competitors" make up only a fraction of the competition shooters and all competition shooters only make up a fraction of long range shooters who themselves only make up a small portion of all shooters. So if you want to a play game where you need a niche inside a niche inside a niche to make your point, have at it.

Dont be so quick to make all of those assumptions.

And "top end competitors" make up only a fraction of the competition shooters and all competition shooters only make up a fraction of long range shooters who themselves only make up a small portion of all shooters. So if you want to a play game where you need a niche inside a niche inside a niche to make your point, have at it.
But wouldn’t you want to listen to top end instead of middle pack shooters? I can get tips from mike Tyson or jake Paul. Hmmmm, decision, decisions.