• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT LSS-22 Chassis Review / CZ 455 22LR

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    I recently purchased my first 22LR bolt gun, a CZ 455 Tacticool 22LR. I wanted to see first, how accurate this rifle was out of the box and second, how accurate it could be with the proper upgrades and tweaks before installing an aftermarket barrel.

It shot pretty good out of the box but not the kind of accuracy I wanted. I decided to install pillars and bed the factory Tacticool (Boyds Pro Varmint) stock to see if accuracy would improve. I also reached out to the guys over at MDT who sent me their LSS-22 chassis, stock, folding mechanism, picatinny and ARCA rails for testing.

A big thank you to @MDT_Josh and Kyle over at www.MDTTAC.com for making this happen!!

The MDT LSS-22 chassis is made from billet 6061-T6 aluminum and comes cerakoted in either black or FDE. It has a V-Shaped bedding block and free floated forend accepting barrels up to 1” in diameter.

Compatibility
    • Ruger American
    • CZ 455
    • CZ 452
    • Browning T-Bolt
    • Savage MK II – Compatible with 93R17
    • Anschutz Match 54- compatible only with models 1710 and 1712
    • Anschutz Match 64- compatible only with models 1416 and 1417
    **NOTE**
    The LSS-22 now also fits 17 HMR or 22 WMR versions.
    The LSS-22 will fit all heavy factory barrels.

MDT has many accessories for the chassis as well. Picatinny rails in 2.5”, 5.0” and 6.5” and ARCA rails in 3.3”, 7”, 9,5” and 10.25” that attach to the bottom of the forend making it very easy to attach your existing bipods, barricade stops and other accessories.

The stock they sent me is their Skeleton Carbine Stock. The stock is also CNC from 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum and also comes cerakoted in black or FDE. Its nice and heavy which I like on this little/light rifle. The options on this stock are endless, you can get it in 4 different LOP’s to adapt it to any rifle. Adjustable/locking cheek riser, adjustable buttpad, 3 QD attachments, and attachment points for 2.5” picatinny rails.

In the box was MDT’s Folding Stock Adapter as well to test. I really like this folding adapter. One of the nicest Ive ever played with. It is extremely well made and durable. The biggest concern with folding adapters is the lock up. This adapter locks up rock solid, no wobble or play for a solid, stable cheek weld without movement. It also comes in 1-way or 2-way locking.

Test Configuration

CZ 455 22LR 16.5” Tacticool Factory Barreled Action
    MDT LSS-22 Chassis
    MDT Skeleton Carbine Stock
    MDT Folding Stock Adapter
    MDT 10.5” ARCA Rail
    ERGO Tactical Deluxe Grip
    Area419 30moa base
    Anarchy Outdoors Swept Bolt Handle
    Spiral Fluted Bolt knob
    YoDave trigger spring 13oz
    DIP Aluminum Magwell and Mag block
    DIP Extended Aluminum magazine release
    CZ 10rd mags with +2 mag extensions
    Vortex PMR 34mm 1.1” Rings
    Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 FFL MIL
    Area419 ARCALOCK w/Harris Adapter
    Harris 6”-9” S-BRM Bipod with Podlock
    Hawk Hill Harris Spiked Feet

Installing everything was super easy and straight forward. Everything comes with easy to read instructions. Barreled action dropped right into the chassis and bolts were torqued to MDT spec.

Now let’s talk performance. I was able to adjust the stock very quickly and easily to fit my smaller frame which is why I prefer chassis over traditional stocks. Got the cheek riser adjusted and everything felt natural behind the rifle. I tested the rifle from the bench at both 50yds and 100yds with the Harris bipod and rear bag. I shot various types of match grade ammo at 50yds and Federal Gold Medal Match at 100yds which I find the best price/performance ammo in this rifle while way cheaper than the Wolf Match Extra, Eley Tenex, Lapua Center-X or Polar Biathlon. SK Rifle Match and Standard + or a close second and third in accuracy at 50yds. But at distances of 100yds and beyond the Federal GM Match shoots the tightest in my rifle and was purchased at less than $50 a brick. Ive shot it consistently to 300yds and fairly consistent at 400yds on steel.

In my testing, the MDT LSS-22 is shooting more accurately and consistently than the pillar and bedded Tacticool (Boyds Pro Varmint) stock. The Tacticool stock in its factory configuration doesn’t even compare to the LSS-22 chassis in the accuracy department. I found the factory stock had lots of flex and the barrel channel was not 100% free floated back to the action, only the first 2/3 was 100% free floating. Any pressure on the front of the stock caused the barrel to make contact with the stock. If you are handy, have the tools and time you can install pillars and bed your factory stock which should show you a noticeable improvement in accuracy. Most people don’t have the time, tools or know how to do this themselves so they will end up paying someone to do this for them.

With the LSS-22 chassis starting at $399.99 without a buttstock, it makes sense for most people to buy the cheapest CZ 455 Varmint they can find. It uses the same barreled action as the more expensive Tacticool and Precision Trainer. You can either trash or sell the factory stock and drop your barreled action into the LSS-22 chassis for an immediate accuracy improvement and better ergonomics and adjustability. No hassle with milling out your Boyd’s stock for pillars, messing with bedding compound, making sure you properly coated your action with release agent and packing the holes with clay, so it releases from the bedding compound, cleaning up and milling out excessive bedding. Or, by the time you pay a smith to do all this for you, plus the downtime of sending them your barreled action and the wait for it to come back you can have a drop-in chassis shipped to you and installed in minutes at roughly the same cost.

The initial testing was done at 50 and 100 yards. I plan to take the rifle out to 200, 300, 400 and try for 500 next on steel. With the pillar and bedded Boyd's stock I could make consistent hits on steel out to 300 and 70% hit rate at 400. We will see what I can do in the LSS-22 chassis at distance.

50yd Ammo Testing - MDT LSS-22

100yd 5-Shot Groups with Federal Gold Medal Match

My final conclusion is this chassis is very well made, has tons of adjustments to fit any size shooter and lots of accessories to configure the rifle exactly as you want it. The MDT LSS-22 provides a drop in upgrade that shows instant accuracy improvements for your factory CZ 455. The other positive is you can use your existing butt stocks like a Magpul CTR or PRS if you so choose. (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
    Hey! That target looks suspiciously like the 1-2-3-15 from RFC's 100 yard CZ Challenge!
    Hp1yF2fDMpjz1jh3Rud4yshOe9DyA4_tDYC1D4eVKHbpt-xbsJTTo6PJ77Ifij4LPfMl97gOCmJA9PNjtw=s20

Nice touch with the red dot stickers.
    sJb9yGTIN3wrjVD1Cj647k2vb6HvpEVOQNkF2Qx-iFsRtEBTCaAyT1aIVKyNRJmqjT3erCnIt0hpw6b3KQ=s20

Reactions: padom
    Just out of curiosity, how did you tighten the stock bolts - each a little at a time until both tightened equally? Or some other approach? What torque did you use?

I have the same rig as you in terms of CZ 455 Tacticool into LSS-22 and YoDave kit. I don't think I've getting quite as good accuracy as what you're seeing. Close, but not quite. I want more ;-)

Just out of curiosity, how did you tighten the stock bolts - each a little at a time until both tightened equally? Or some other approach? What torque did you use?

I have the same rig as you in terms of CZ 455 Tacticool into LSS-22 and YoDave kit. I don't think I've getting quite as good accuracy as what you're seeing. Close, but not quite. I want more ;-)

I installed the barreled action and bolts loosly, then stood the gun up on the buttock and tighten them both down till they touched then backed off a 1/8 turn so they were just loose. I then torqued the front down to 40in lbs with my Fat Wrench then the rear down to 40in lbs.

Did you test ammo? I mean thoroughly? I have a few different lots of each ammo. Example, 1 lot of SK Standard + shoots 3 or 4 shots tight and always a flyer or 2 that opens up groups to .75" at 50yd. A second lot of Standard + shoots tight clover leafs every time.

I've found out quickly getting into this 22LR game it's all in the ammo. Find a lot that shoots and buy tons of it. These 2 bricks of FGMM shoot really good at 50 and out to 300yds and I got them for under $50/brick on sale.

padom, that folder is different than my 3. Does it lock folded?

When they sent it to me, they said it was their new version so that's probably why it looks different. I will have to check if mine does. Their website says you can get it in 1 sided or 2 sided locking to shoot in the folded position. I'll have to check which they sent me

I installed the barreled action and bolts loosly, then stood the gun up on the buttock and tighten them both down till they touched then backed off a 1/8 turn so they were just loose. I then torqued the front down to 40in lbs with my Fat Wrench then the rear down to 40in lbs.

Did you test ammo? I mean thoroughly? I have a few different lots of each ammo. Example, 1 lot of SK Standard + shoots 3 or 4 shots tight and always a flyer or 2 that opens up groups to .75" at 50yd. A second lot of Standard + shoots tight clover leafs every time.

I've found out quickly getting into this 22LR game it's all in the ammo. Find a lot that shoots and buy tons of it. These 2 bricks of FGMM shoot really good at 50 and out to 300yds and I got them for under $50/brick on sale.
    Ok, just for fun I think I'll remount the barreled action in the chassis using your process. My approach was similar to yours except I tightened the the screws 10 pounds at a time front-back-front-back. I don't think I wrote down the torque I used but I think it was more than the 40 inch-pounds you used.

Ammo: O yeah. Ten or twelve brands/labels, from CCI SV through various flavors of Eley to Lapua Center-X. So far, my 455 like Wolf Match Extra best, so I bought five bricks of that favored lot and ration it for competition. I bought a case of Prime .22 during the recent sale; it's disappointingly inconsistent but satisfactory for positional practice on 2-3MOA targets out to 300 yards.

Thanks for a great review, and thanks to @MDT_Josh for his contributions.

Reactions: MDT_Josh

@padom is right and we do have 2 different folders available; 1-way locking and 2-way locking. The 1-way locking folder will lock up solid in the "unfolded" and ready to fire position, but only relies on friction pads to stop it from flopping around when unlocked. The 2-way locking folder will lock up when in the ready to fire position AS-WELL-AS locking in the "folded" or stored position :) I find they work pretty well and have put a few hundred rounds through some of the prototypes without any wobble.

Reactions: padom
    Super review! Thank You! I'm running an MDT, LSS-XL Gen2 chassis on my Savage 6.5 CM and I'm thrilled with it. Looking to build a .22 LR gun next Spring and it'll likely wear an MDT chassis as well.

VooDoo

Reactions: MDT_Josh
    well damn it. Guess I'm going to have to order one of these. Great review!! Thank you!!

Reactions: burneyr
    You listed a LOT of parts in addition to he barreled action and the chassis.

What is an estimate of the total cost to get it to your configuration?

There are some plans in the works for our rimfire chassis, but nothing is finalized yet.

Emailed you guys beginning of the year about the exact same thing. A longer forend would be much nicer (and the capability to mount NV towards the front like your other chassis too)

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
    Great looking set up.
    I recently ordered a similar set up for my sons savage mkii. I was wanting to order the ARCA rail also but wasn’t certain it fit the ls22 stock looks like the 10.5” one fits perfect. Just to make sure that is the mdt mlock 10.5” ARCA rail they sell on there site?

Also if you don’t Mind where did you get those cz +2 mag extensions since I saw this I’ve looked all over for them and have had no luck finding any.
    Thanks for any help.

Great looking set up.
    I recently ordered a similar set up for my sons savage mkii. I was wanting to order the ARCA rail also but wasn’t certain it fit the ls22 stock looks like the 10.5” one fits perfect. Just to make sure that is the mdt mlock 10.5” ARCA rail they sell on there site?

Also if you don’t Mind where did you get those cz +2 mag extensions since I saw this I’ve looked all over for them and have had no luck finding any.
    Thanks for any help.

The ARCA rail is this one from MDT not MLOK and its 6" bolt on

https://mdttac.com/products/bolted-arca-rss-adapter

Mag extensions are from a guy here on the hide selling them in the Rimfire PX.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/cz-455-22lr-2-mag-extensions.6886631/page-2

Awesome thanks a ton for the info. Really looking forward to getting mine all set up

Did you have any targets from when it was in the factory stock for quantifiable comparison? A _____ % increase in accuracy statement would be interesting to me. My 455 17HMR in factory walnut is a laser as it is, but this interests me in a number of ways.

Did you have any targets from when it was in the factory stock for quantifiable comparison? A _____ % increase in accuracy statement would be interesting to me. My 455 17HMR in factory walnut is a laser as it is, but this interests me in a number of ways.

I do, posted in another thread prior to reviewing this chassis but I'll repost them in here later today.

I saw the biggest difference in group consistency going from the stock Tacticool stock to pillar/bedded stock which is on par with the MDT. I'm a chassis guy so I find my setup and shooting more consistent with the ergonomics of the MDT vs a traditional stock