• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Update: MDT Mag Catch Install

Familydude

Spending my kids’ paltry inheritance on hobbies
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2020
    California
    Searched the Hide and internet. No luck:

MDT ACC. Having it cerekoted. Easy enough to remove pin that held mag catch and spring assembly in place. Anyone have any experience in re-installing? The spring tension on the catch is pretty significant and is in a location that makes it difficult to hold assembly in place to re-install without possibly scratching the chassis. I have a couple ideas, but if there’s a simple(r) way, I’d love to hear it.

Thanks all.

Had to have my gunsmith help me install the bitch. Used a slave pin and still scratched the chassis lol
    I don't think there is an easy way

Reactions: Familydude
    Had my Oryx coated. It was an adventure putting it back in. Pretty sure I used a slave pin slightly smaller diameter. Got lucky, no scratches.

Had to replace mine on an LSS XL gen 2 that wouldn't allow me to seat a mag. Ended up scratching both sides while removing then reinstalling the replacement mag latches ttyl g to find the correct size.

Just did it, there is a video but it makes it seam easier than it is. First TAPE all around the hole so you do not scratch the aluminum, then I used a long pin driver to hold it in place while I chased it in from the other side with the pin and tapped it home. Took forty five minutes or so total. Do not forget to tape (I used thick black electrical for the padding.)

Last edited:
    Just did it, there is a video but it makes it seam easier than it is. First TAPE all around the hole so you do not scratch the aluminum, then I used a long pin driver to hold it in place while I chased it in from the other side with the pin and tapped it home. Took forty five minutes or so total. Do not forget to tape (I used thick black electrical for the padding.)

Thanks for the video! This was pretty much how I thought I’d need to install it, though I know without a doubt my spring has much more tension on it than shown in the video.

That’s going to be the challenge.

Slave pin and plenty of tape (and fingers crossed) it is.

Thanks all for your input.

Last edited:
    Reactions: bunny too
    Thanks again all. I’m going to try a couple things I’m hoping make it easier. If one of them works, I’ll let you know. Chassis is at the cerekote place now. Hope to have it back in a few.

Finally got the chassis back from cerekote. I know, it’s their stock grey color. Got a screaming deal on a black one. Wanted Tac Grey. Cerekote.

For the mag catch install, I ended up grabbing a super cheap, small DeWalt clamp from Home Depot and reversed it, making it a spreader. Used a slave pin to keep the mag catch and spring together. Slid it into place and spread the clamp in the mag well enough to put pressure on the assembly and keep it in place, lining the holes up with the pin holes on the chassis. Couple taps and the factory pin was in place.

The spreader allowed me to have both hands free. I was also able to make minor adjustments to the assembly as well to line up the holes as the pressure needed to keep it in place wasn’t exceedingly great. Pics included.
    74384138-000C-4E47-9944-3DB0A394901E.jpeg
    7088C0A2-D9B1-4C1B-BC82-CA4A550D4C61.jpeg
    7B9B20C5-A0CF-47B3-9F92-171D2A6BB301.jpeg
    EC93D1C1-0549-4732-980F-87D8A3E36A9B.jpeg
    636FD28E-294B-4FC5-B130-640CAD5CF8A0.jpeg
    437605D2-3CF1-4F2A-8B6A-44A5DB504478.jpeg
    2FC9D733-2038-4B0B-9E5E-445493FEAB23.jpeg

I've done a few, never really struggled that badly. I use a smaller diameter long pin punch, get that in, hold it slightly shallow on one side and push the real in in. The pin punch can wiggle and apply torque or direction to the spring and mag latch. Works well.

I do the same for things like cz pistols and their sear / safety hole