• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis Shipping

Dunaway428

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2023
Kansas City, KS
Recently decided to get into rifle chassis and decided the Oryx would be a good starting point. I have many rifles in more standard stocks but nothing in a chassis. I ordered an Oryx Chassis, LOP Adjustment Plates, Upgraded Cheek Riser, Cheek Riser Knobs, and magazines from the MDT site. Looks like everything except the chassis has shipped. When checking the orders looks like the chassis is estimated at 8-10 weeks. In your experience how accurate is this estimate? That seems like a really long time. I see these now available in the MDT store on Amazon with delivery in a couple of days. Would it be worth it to cancel order and purchase from MDT via Amazon or should I just wait?

Depending on the inlet and color options you needed I could totally see the lead time for a chassis being that long when buying direct from the manufacturer. If you have everything else and you can get the chassis sooner through a different network I'd take that route, it's not going to hurt MDT one way or another.

Thats what I was thinking also. I do always try to order MFG direct if I am able, but 3-4 days vs possibly 10 weeks is a major difference. I could have this build up and running this weekend. Will reach out to them today. Thank you for the response.

My father-in-law ordered a MDT Cky pod from them and was told 12 weeks shipping date. He was surprised when it arrived 3 days after he placed his order. Give them a call to confirm.

So far, my experience is not leaning on the positive side. Not sure if I am unlucky or what. Got the chassis in. Got the Poly / Metal mag in. The mag was hard to feed and rough. A friend adjusted the feed lips and fixed that problem. Halfway through my first trip to the range the buttstock came loose and after investigation the metal insert that holds the screw had popped out. Waiting now on a replacement piece from MDT when it ships. Got my premier vertical grip in today and the screw that attaches the grip to the chassis is too big and does not fit. Contacted support to see what I can do about this unless I can find online what type of screw to use. I just seem to be having troubles all around to the point that I almost want to return everything and get something else.

I've got 2 of those chassis one is a rimfire Never had problems with either. I have those grips on both also, not sure about the bolt? maybe I just used the factory one?

I got the chassis in. Got all the parts but not having a good experience. Butt pad on stock broke first time shooting. Insert for screw popped out. Magazine was extremely hard to feed. Had to adjust feed lips. The vertical premier grip I ordered didn’t come with all the plates. Looking at a couple of weeks for the screw necessary to use the grip. Bigger problem is the buttons and they said today the replacement part wouldn’t be available until June 5th. At this time I have close to 1k in MDT merch into this build that I can’t use. Waiting to see what they say tomorrow but if June 5th is really the date to fix a product defect I think I will just return everything and go with another product. My decision was based on all the rave reviews that MDT gets but I am just not seeing it so far.

Shipping estimate was off. I received one a while ago and it was more like a week instead of the 3 or 4 weeks they said. I have never had the butt pad break and I have 2 Oryx chassis. The MDT mag can be difficult, especially the metal one for .300 WM. Just keep adjusting the retension or feed lips. It will be different for different actions. Sorry about your other bad luck.

First time I got one, I got the thumb wheel knobs for the adjustable cheek but that would not stay tight. I went back to the original allen-headed set screws and set those to german virgin (gutentite.) I have not had a problem. But those are my miles. Your mileage may vary, of course. Not being a brand bunny, just relaying my experiences. One caveat, I am the stupidest guy here, unapologetically.

I got the chassis in. Got all the parts but not having a good experience. Butt pad on stock broke first time shooting. Insert for screw popped out. Magazine was extremely hard to feed. Had to adjust feed lips. The vertical premier grip I ordered didn’t come with all the plates. Looking at a couple of weeks for the screw necessary to use the grip. Bigger problem is the buttons and they said today the replacement part wouldn’t be available until June 5th. At this time I have close to 1k in MDT merch into this build that I can’t use. Waiting to see what they say tomorrow but if June 5th is really the date to fix a product defect I think I will just return everything and go with another product. My decision was based on all the rave reviews that MDT gets but I am just not seeing it so far.
Pictures? Lots of issues you are described making no sense to me. I installed a premier grip an hour ago, there are no plates…? The missing / wrong allen screw, go to an ACE hardware store or whatever there’s in your area and get what you need. Penny’s and not even worth mentioning. How can a butt pad brake?

I’m sorry to say so but it sounds someone else should assemble / build your rifle, this isn’t a task for just anyone. I don’t mean to offend you but there are safety issues especially when it comes to proper mag functions.

There are at least 8 mdt chassis I’m directly and indirectly evolved with, 6 acc, 1 oryx, 1 xrs… everyone loves them.

Shipping estimate was off. I received one a while ago and it was more like a week instead of the 3 or 4 weeks they said. I have never had the butt pad break and I have 2 Oryx chassis. The MDT mag can be difficult, especially the metal one for .300 WM. Just keep adjusting the retension or feed lips. It will be different for different actions. Sorry about your other bad luck.

First time I got one, I got the thumb wheel knobs for the adjustable cheek but that would not stay tight. I went back to the original allen-headed set screws and set those to german virgin (gutentite.) I have not had a problem. But those are my miles. Your mileage may vary, of course. Not being a brand bunny, just relaying my experiences. One caveat, I am the stupidest guy here, unapologetically.

Pictures? Lots of issues you are described making no sense to me. I installed a premier grip an hour ago, there are no plates…? The missing / wrong allen screw, go to an ACE hardware store or whatever there’s in your area and get what you need. Penny’s and not even worth mentioning. How can a butt pad brake?

I’m sorry to say so but it sounds someone else should assemble / build your rifle, this isn’t a task for just anyone. I don’t mean to offend you but there are safety issues especially when it comes to proper mag functions.

There are at least 8 mdt chassis I’m directly and indirectly evolved with, 6 acc, 1 oryx, 1 xrs… everyone loves them.
Thanks for the info and your opinion. There are no plates you are correct. That was a mistake you can put hardware (screws, washers, etc.) in that space if you like. The needed SHCS screw specifications for the particular inlet and stock require a #10-32 x 2 1/4" SHCS partially threaded screw. I did check all the local hardware stores including ACE, Lowes, Home Depot, and the closest I could find locally was a 2" fully threaded screw which was not long enough. I did find some online from a machine shop and ordered them. Unfortunately, they are not sold individually so I had to buy a minimum of 25 which was close to 35 dollars with shipping, but I did so. The other screws were easily found. I am glad that you have never had any issues with a but pad but unfortunately the screw insets for the, but pad retainer screw released from the stock mold. I could probably sand them and epoxy them in, but why would I do that on a brand-new stock. I am glad that everyone loves them and thus why I was trying one. I have plenty of rifles in other types of stocks. Most inlet and bedded by myself. Yes, I had trouble with the mag and had to adjust the feed lips as well as sand the edge down so that it was smooth and not as sharp gouging lines in the side of the brass. I reload and have been doing so for over 20 years. I try to keep my brass in decent shape for as long as possible if it’s good brass. It works fine now. The second one I received from back order did not have this issue. Saying I don't mean to offend does not make something less offensive and you may have just asked a couple of questions for clarity first before just assuming something. The issue is resolved now. Photos and videos were already sent to MDT, or they would not be offering to fix it. I received a call from MDT management today. Since the wait for a replacement part for the stock would take over a month, they have sent me a new stock and upgraded it to another model. What I can say about MDT, until I put some time in on their products anyway , is that customer their customer service people are the best that I have dealt with. From the start of the issue until the finish they were polite and professional. I sent all the information that they requested and were nice to deal with once it was reviewed. I only had problems with the initial defects and the fact that the fix for a defective product would take over a month and wondered if others had the issues or not. Waiting a month for repair on a product that was defective does not represent good customer service to me. Even though my initial experience has was not great I do understand things happen and did not mean to offend you if you thought that I was saying MDT was bad. I was expressing that my experience up until that point had not been great.

Last edited:
I’m glad to hear that your issues get resolved, I also received excellent customer service from MDT.

Reactions: Ronws
Likewise, I am also glad that MDT has helped you out. And, yes, defective units can get out of the door.

One of my old jobs was tuning and modifying the Motorola SP-10 and SP-11 two-way radios (the kind you see staff at the Gap and Bed, Bath, and Beyond wearing). They had a failure rate of 3 percent worldwide. Which is a really good record. What does that mean?

If you, as a company, did not ship out a defective unit today, that is because the doors were locked and you took the day off. It happens.

Reactions: Schütze
Looking at a couple of weeks for the screw necessary to use the grip.
Wow, they really sent you a wrong screw for the grip and told you it would be a couple of weeks to get one shipped out? A screw? I mean, of course I believe you. I just find it surprising as my experiences with MDT have been excellent like others on the board. Wow.

Bigger problem is the buttons
I may be a wee bit dense today....but, what "buttons" are you talking about. This quote just sort of dropped in without explanation.

And finally, I'm very glad that MDT is making it right for you and doing in a way to repair your view of them. I'm retired but spent a career as a project/program manager of very, very high tech (and very expensive) core telcom network equipment. All kinds of parts screening, testing, QA monitoring programs, blah, blah, blah but nonetheless a stinker would get out of the door despite our best efforts...just like every other manf of pretty much anything. The key is how we responded and made it right for the customer and it sounds like MDT understands this axiom also.

Cheers....oh, what chassis did they upgrade you to?

Wow, they really sent you a wrong screw for the grip and told you it would be a couple of weeks to get one shipped out? A screw? I mean, of course I believe you. I just find it surprising as my experiences with MDT have been excellent like others on the board. Wow.

I may be a wee bit dense today....but, what "buttons" are you talking about. This quote just sort of dropped in without explanation.

And finally, I'm very glad that MDT is making it right for you and doing in a way to repair your view of them. I'm retired but spent a career as a project/program manager of very, very high tech (and very expensive) core telcom network equipment. All kinds of parts screening, testing, QA monitoring programs, blah, blah, blah but nonetheless a stinker would get out of the door despite our best efforts...just like every other manf of pretty much anything. The key is how we responded and made it right for the customer and it sounds like MDT understands this axiom also.

Cheers....oh, what chassis did they upgrade you to?
Butt pad not buttons. Have to love auto correct sometimes if you don't pay attention. The necessary screw is on backorder with whomever they get them from. The Butt pad section had to be produced and would not be made until June 5th earliest. Seems they may just be having supply chain issues like everyone else these days. I know I got a email this morning that the screws I ordered were also delayed for a few days. I just cancelled the order since I will no longer need them so maybe it is a real issue with those particular screws. They upgraded me to the MDT XRS. It's a little different design then the Oryx but from what I can tell seems to be a good stock also. It does seem to offer more features than the Oryx. Yes, sometimes things just happen even when the best effort is made. One of the things that quickly changed my mind was when talking to them about this at the end I could truly tell they were upset both about a defect getting out the door and the inability to fix the issue in a timely manner. In the end they made it right as best they were able and I am good with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronws and Baron23