• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT vs XLR Folding mechanism

Kansas_Born

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
Brownsburg, Indiana
I have a MDT Tac21 that I picked up during their Black Friday sale and want to add a folding adaptor to the chassis. Has anyone used the new MDT folder? How does it compare to the XLR folder? Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• B9CED11D-06F0-4732-876E-13C7D90C5E50.jpeg
    B9CED11D-06F0-4732-876E-13C7D90C5E50.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 54
Been wondering myself, no idea never seen one of the MDT versions IRL

I had the XLR folder on a chassis. Tight lock up and you can adjust for wear via 2 set screws. My complaint was it flopped like grandma's flapjacks while open. I used a huge bungee to keep it secure. I will be getting the MDT 2 way locking soon and will find out I guess.

I had the XLR folder on a chassis. Tight lock up and you can adjust for wear via 2 set screws. My complaint was it flopped like grandma's flapjacks while open. I used a huge bungee to keep it secure. I will be getting the MDT 2 way locking soon and will find out I guess.

I have the mdt on an Orias chassis. My only complaint so far is that as a right handed shooter I can bump the button on the folder with my right arm/hand and it will open. I haven’t spent enough range time with it to determine if that’s user error or not. Time will tell.

I have the mdt on an Orias chassis. My only complaint so far is that as a right handed shooter I can bump the button on the folder with my right arm/hand and it will open. I haven’t spent enough range time with it to determine if that’s user error or not. Time will tell.

Yeah, please do an update.

thats weird mine doesnt

I have the old style xlr with the set screws for lockup adjustment. I also have the new style without the screws but with the decent ball. The new one doesn’t lock up as tight as the old style but the detent is nicer locking open though

The XLR folding mechanisms are terrible. I’ve had 3 of them, none locked up 100% tight and they don’t lock into the folded position.

Never messed with an MDT folder but that’s how I would lean.

Guess it doesn’t matter for my tac21. Website says it doesn’t work with that particular chassis. Made my decision easy I guess.

Attachments

• 20B19EED-60E6-4EAA-96A9-3EA810F88562.png
    20B19EED-60E6-4EAA-96A9-3EA810F88562.png
    583.2 KB · Views: 55
I have what I assume is the old XLR folder.
It’s not super special but mine does lock up tight.
Obviously it doesn’t lock open though.

I do hope they do some work on it, as it could be better.
I use mine for storage, in a Vertical scabbard for hiking and for cleaning.