• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT XRS chassis issues

czgunner

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2007
WY
I bought an MDT XRS chassis over black friday for a good price.
I attempted to install my Savage 110, but the recoil lug was interfering. I contacted MDT and they told me I need to have a 27mm max width lug. I ground it down a bit and it drops in now.
The current problem is that the action screws go in pretty hard. I was a mechanic for a lot of years, so I know how fasteners should feel. Also, when the screws are started, the barrel is clearly biased to the right of the chassis.
What is going on?
Does the lug need to drop in w/out any contact? It's more of a snug fig right now.
Does anybody make good aftermarket lug that works with this chassis? I think mine is from Sharp Shooter's Supply years ago.
Thanks for any help.

The lug should only contact the rear of the chassis no front no side.

Do the action screws go in hard when installed without the chassis? Aka: Is it the action/bolt interface or the chassis pushing it off kilter that’s the issue?

Yes, the lug should go in freely in the front and sides and make solid support across the rear of the lug against the chassis.

Do the action screws go in hard when installed without the chassis? Aka: Is it the action/bolt interface or the chassis pushing it off kilter that’s the issue?

Yes, the lug should go in freely in the front and sides and make solid support across the rear of the lug against the chassis.
Well, the screws are captured (strange design) in the chassis, so I'm not sure. The OEM Savage fasteners run in fine.

Reactions: smtitmelevi
I pulled the barrel and removed enough metal from the lug that it drops in without touching. The barrel still seems to be uncentered.
The MDT polymer mag requires a really hard smack to seat and takes 2 hands to release it. Is that normal?

Thanks, everybody, for the continued help.

Last edited:
Something is really wrong there. My Savage 12 dropped right in. The screws went in nice, and all is centered.

To center my Howa 1500 in my ACC chassis I turned one screw one rotation, then another screw one rotation, alternating back and forth until all was centered.

Turn. Inspect for centered-ness. Turn.

Regarding magazine seating, does it seat properly in the chassis when the action is removed from the chassis? Is there another magazine you can try? Also, is the actioned seated rearward in the chassis? If the action is too far forward in the chassis that could cause the magazine problem.

-Stan

Last edited:
To center my Howa 1500 in my ACC chassis I turned one screw one rotation, then another screw one rotation, alternating back and forth until all was centered.

Turn. Inspect for centered-ness. Turn.

Regarding magazine seating, does it seat properly in the chassis when the action is removed from the chassis? Is there another magazine you can try? Also, is the actioned seated rearward in the chassis? If the action is too far forward in the chassis that could cause the magazine problem.

-Stan
Stan,
I have 2 metal magazines coming that I will try. It is tight with the action removed as well.

Reactions: stanley_white
Stan,
I have 2 metal magazines coming that I will try. It is tight with the action removed as well.
A new MDT magazine not fitting into a new / empty MDT chassis seems like an MDT issue.

Your rifle not centering in the chassis seems like a screw tightening order / turns issue.

I would solve the centering issue first, then take a breather, and contact MDT about the magazine issue.

It sounds like either the chassis or polymer magazine are out of spec.

-Stan

Reactions: czgunner
A new MDT magazine not fitting into a new / empty MDT chassis seems like an MDT issue.

Your rifle not centering in the chassis seems like a screw tightening order / turns issue.

I would solve the centering issue first, then take a breather, and contact MDT about the magazine issue.

It sounds like either the chassis or polymer magazine are out of spec.

-Stan

I emailed MDT about the magazine issue, and I haven't heard anything yet.

Last edited:
Not sure if you saw my reply above. I fit the recoil lug and the action drops into the chassis now. MDT only allows a 27mm lug.
I emailed MDT about the magazine issue, and I haven't heard anything yet.

I saw your previous post.

I am not experienced enough to opine about how the recoil lug would effect the centering of the barrel in the chassis. Admittedly I was probably trying to suggest my ACC remedy to you out of context.

-Stan

Last edited:
The metal mags are just as tight as the polymer mag.
I got an email back from MDT. They are sending me 2 undersized mag release tabs to see if that solves the super tight mag issue.

I also purchased a xrs chassis on black friday for a savage 110 left hand and also having the same problem. At first i was trying to get a Pmag AICS pattern to fit and contacted MDT they said it would not work unless i modified. Purchased a MDT 5 round poylmer mag, received it yesterday and it also is very tight going into the chassis and have to smack it to lock. Just emailed MDT waiting on reply.

Update on magazine issue:
Started working the magazine in and out of the chassis, after about 100 times the magazine started to get better, basically wore the finish off the mag release wore the locking side of the mag smooth. Mag now drops freely. Now having issues with feeding rounds into the chamber. Will bind up randomly. Saw a video from Masterpiece arms about feed lips on mag not being even, letting rounds rock back and forth.

MDT is sending a new chassis out for me to try. Even with the smallest dimension mag catch, it seems the mags are really tight and hard to insert/release. Pretty awesome customer service from MDT so far.

The mag did not seat good until the mag release tab was polished smooth (bright metal). I wore all the finish off by inserting the mag so many times.

I know this is an old post but I am hoping you see this. Please explain what bit head people use to get to these captured action screws! I have purchased 2 different extended bits and can not get any to work. MDT stated I would need to grind out an opening for anything other than a t-handle, so no real way to torque correctly. I also have a recoil lug issue and a Rem700 GAP barreled action will not fit...at all. Most likely an oversized recoil lug and waiting to hear back from GAP.

I know this is an old post but I am hoping you see this. Please explain what bit head people use to get to these captured action screws! I have purchased 2 different extended bits and can not get any to work. MDT stated I would need to grind out an opening for anything other than a t-handle, so no real way to torque correctly. I also have a recoil lug issue and a Rem700 GAP barreled action will not fit...at all. Most likely an oversized recoil lug and waiting to hear back from GAP.
Search for "Capri Tools Long 3/16" Hex Bit Socket, 1/4" Drive, SAE" on Amazon.