• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT XRS crossover chassis

Nafta

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2018
Received the email yesterday and I'm very curious. What do you expect? I suspect it will be something to compete with Magpul and Cadex. Could be interesting if the plastic is of good grade, with some texture. Any insights?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191219-064106.jpg
    Screenshot_20191219-064106.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 300
Not sure what your point is spife7980. I'm anxious to see if it will be a polymer stock with mini-chassis, an alu chassis with plastic shells, one piece, modular, etc...

If your point is "hey dude, just wait until Shot !" I can't argue much...

Not sure what your point is spife7980. I'm anxious to see if it will be a polymer stock with mini-chassis, an alu chassis with plastic shells, one piece, modular, etc...

If your point is "hey dude, just wait until Shot !" I can't argue much...

No his point was do a search, already a thread going on it...

Smooth up the sharp lines around the grip and get rid of all those screw looking holes, then I would buy it for under $400!

IMO, MDT have never produced a chassis with good aesthetics. They are certainly functional though, great support and lots of accessories.

Won't win a rifle beauty pageant, but I'm sure it will be a quality product that's well supported.

The A-10 never won a beauty pageant either. But fuck me if it hasn’t won some battles.

I like it better than anything they’ve done before. Forend needs to be longer though and have a spigot or something but they’re on the right track.

I was just thinking the same about the forend. Oddly the forend looks longer in the image located at the bottom right.( stock minus action and barrel ).

Not a fan of having two thumb screws to tighten down the cheek piece, more hassle for quick adjustment (I know I will probably set it and forget it but still). wish they would have made the butt adjustable for cant as well...I definitely think they are going for a price point on this. It will need a really competitive price tag to compete with a bravo that is already established in the market with a ton of available accessories and better aesthetics.

Reactions: Cfshooter
It will need a really competitive price tag to compete with a bravo that is already established in the market with a ton of available accessories and better aesthetics.

Pretty sure they have the Oryx to compete with the Bravo. I think this is more for someone contemplating a Manners of McMillian stock but want the ease of a chassis.

Pretty sure they have the Oryx to compete with the Bravo. I think this is more for someone contemplating a Manners of McMillian stock but want the ease of a chassis.

They have the Oryx in that price point, but for the guy who does not want a pistol grip chassis it does not fit the bill like the Bravo does. This stock is definitely closer to the bravo than a manners from a fit, form, and function perspective. I cant see this thing going for more than $500 MSRP. A molded polymer clam shell over a cast aluminum post machined backbone construction screams low cost high volume entry level stock, it does not stack up well to custom inletted composite stock. If that is their aim they are going to need some really good marketing hype...

With the two cheekpiece thumbscrews, the what seems to be permanent butthook, and the shorter ARCA rail so far it seems like an a bit clumsy KRG Bravo knockoff.

Seems like a lot of negativity around this one, I guess some products just rub us the wrong way. Unless this thing has some reports about it feeling magical in the hands then I probably wont buy one for my LA prone gun. The bravo really has become THE entry budget cross over and that will be a tough market to dip into.

I have a SA bravo that will be replaced at some point by an MDT but it wont be this one. Sorry guys.

I know it's not the market this is aimed at but I would think they would be better off making an oryx 2.0 that has more features and more adjustment/upgrades. That chassis has potential and would fill gaps the Bravo left open.

IMO, MDT have never produced a chassis with good aesthetics. They are certainly functional though, great support and lots of accessories.

Won't win a rifle beauty pageant, but I'm sure it will be a quality product that's well supported.

Agree. Their products appear to be of great quality, but the LSS Gen 2 XL is the nicest looking system they have under the MDT brand and it isn't exactly pretty. I find it interesting that KRG's best looking chassis and the MDTs best looking chassis are also their cheapest (Bravo and Oryx respectively).

Kind of a short foreend, isn't it?
I’ve used a few MDT LSS chassis in the past for Howa actions like my mini action in 6.5 Grendel. Never had any issues to tell you the truth.

I just got the official release email. Only action is Remington SA. Price is $499. I’m not sure why you would choose this over a KRG Bravo at $150 more.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I just got the official release email. Only action is Remington SA. Price is $499. I’m not sure why you would choose this over a KRG Bravo at $150 more.
  • Because thats the MSRP number and not MAP pricing so its not really an apples to apples comparison.
  • And its not true of the other bravo inlets that will eventually be offered for the xrs Im sure. And the bravo only came out for rem 700 sa to start with as well. And depending on the particular inlet the bravo price increases 20-90 bucks.
  • Plus the XRS has a 2" longer forend which means you dont have to add on another price increase like the bravo which would need a spigot and to get that additional length if it matters to you but only on a different plane.

Looks like both will average around 400 bucks. The difference I can see is that the bravo can get down to a pound lighter if you dont go for a spigot and the xrs comes 2" longer with variable grip angle.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Even though I'm a MDT groupie, I'm kind of disapointed. I think it's too close to the Bravo, why make something that already exists. No need to point every little details, it's roughly the same thing. Also, to get a more traditional feel, I was hoping for a more closed grip like those on the Foundation stocks. That said, I think it's priced right and will sell well.

Not as bad looking in that video as it was in the email I got. Wouldn't mind getting a few rounds behind one to see how it compares to my son's Bravo.

• Because thats the MSRP number and not MAP pricing so its not really an apples to apples comparison.
  • And its not true of the other bravo inlets that will eventually be offered for the xrs Im sure. And the bravo only came out for rem 700 sa to start with as well. And depending on the particular inlet the bravo price increases 20-90 bucks.
  • Plus the XRS has a 2" longer forend which means you dont have to add on another price increase like the bravo which would need a spigot and to get that additional length if it matters to you but only on a different plane.

Looks like both will average around 400 bucks. The difference I can see is that the bravo can get down to a pound lighter if you dont go for a spigot and the xrs comes 2" longer with variable grip angle.

The XRS is currently available for purchase at $499 on the MDT website. When I look at their other chassis systems, the MDT website price and reseller prices seem to be identical and basically never change. Have you heard they are planning on dropping the price at some point? From a marketing perspective, it seems like it would be better to introduce the chassis at the same price point as the KRG and then raise it once it has a following. As it stands, the 700 SA Bravo with spigot mount is still cheaper than the XRS. If XRS street price drops to $400, I am guessing it will develop a following. At $500 I'm guessing it won't? Then again, I always underestimate my own tendency to chase new things, even when wholely unnecessary.

The XRS is currently available for purchase at $499 on the MDT website.
That IS a new development, I dont think it was there when I posted, at least not that I was aware of, all I saw were other postings of the MSRP. That said, usually when places post an MSRP number they back down from the to an MAP number. I guess thats not the case here based on their website order form.

As to what is an is not going to be popular and at what price point; anyone can speculate but no one can say.

Even though I'm a MDT groupie, I'm kind of disapointed. I think it's too close to the Bravo, why make something that already exists. No need to point every little details, it's roughly the same thing. Also, to get a more traditional feel, I was hoping for a more closed grip like those on the Foundation stocks. That said, I think it's priced right and will sell well.
More expensive than the bravo and doesn't come with pic rail or arca. Sorry but this a fail for me. Why would I pick this over the Bravo?

Is there some sort of advantage this has over the Bravo that I'm not seeing that makes it cost $150 more?

More expensive than the bravo and doesn't come with pic rail or arca. Sorry but this a fail for me. Why would I pick this over the Bravo?

Is there some sort of advantage this has over the Bravo that I'm not seeing that makes it cost $150 more?
We agree, that's exactly my point. I would pick a Bravo too, in fact it's very possible that I will...
I still think the XRS is priced right though. I can't believe I'm about to say that..., the Bravo is priced too low. It's a very decent offering in an industry where things are often overpriced. I'm speculating, but I'm sure it would sell just fine at 499$. We're just lucky to be able to get it for less.
I will still try to get my hands on an XRS, just to get the feel of it. Sometimes magic happens...

Reactions: DisplacedTexan
The process of product development is fascinating to me. I work in an unrelated industry but the rule of thumb in going head-to-head with an established product is to either provide similar quality at a lower price or higher quality at the same price.

Similar quality at a higher price is a tough sell.

On the other hand, the Oryx chassis seems to be a great example of getting it right... similar quality at a lower price.

Reactions: Nafta
This chassis definitely looks a lot better in black.

I'm in agreance with others, don't think I would pick it up over a KRG Bravo.

But I definitely welcome another budget option for the market. Great to have choices, and I'm sure with the quality and CS that MDT is known for, it's going to make some consumers pretty happy.

Dang one of the things i love about MDT is they are not too good to make chassis and stocks inletted for Savages.just noticed this is 700 only. Wonder if this new one is 700 only for good or just to start production then others.

The XRS is currently available for purchase at $499 on the MDT website. When I look at their other chassis systems, the MDT website price and reseller prices seem to be identical and basically never change. Have you heard they are planning on dropping the price at some point? From a marketing perspective, it seems like it would be better to introduce the chassis at the same price point as the KRG and then raise it once it has a following. As it stands, the 700 SA Bravo with spigot mount is still cheaper than the XRS. If XRS street price drops to $400, I am guessing it will develop a following. At $500 I'm guessing it won't? Then again, I always underestimate my own tendency to chase new things, even when wholely unnecessary.
Raising retail/map price post release is a terrible pricing strategy

We agree, that's exactly my point. I would pick a Bravo too, in fact it's very possible that I will...
I still think the XRS is priced right though. I can't believe I'm about to say that..., the Bravo is priced too low. It's a very decent offering in an industry where things are often overpriced. I'm speculating, but I'm sure it would sell just fine at 499$. We're just lucky to be able to get it for less.
I will still try to get my hands on an XRS, just to get the feel of it. Sometimes magic happens...
The Bravo isn't the same level as the Xray, so they can't have them priced the same.

Raising retail/map price post release is a terrible pricing strategy
I agree. I just don’t know how you get your foot in the door if you are selling a similar product at a substantially higher price. Introductory pricing would at least incentivize people to try it? Who knows... it’s easy to sit and question now. I hope it is a success.