• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing REID & HIS DOGS

10/26/2023...........we been hunting since opening night and have seen 5 coyotes so far and 2 bobcats.........last night i finally figured out what they wanted to hear with some of Rick Pallets Ok Corral coyote fight........had 2 come to the fields edge about 300 straight north as we sat facing north wind over our back to the north at about 7 mph.......finally caught them at thh edge and i was playing fight so i lit it back up and the female immediately comes out into the field......at that point Patty was meandering right out in front of me as u can see in the vids and im sure the coyote seen her with the moon almost full and bright as u can see it looking as soon as Patty is moving the coyote starts towards us further......Patty at this point is out towards the call about 30 yards right in front of me & Stephy so i start to lip squeak her back to us........the coyote continues towards us and as i let it get closer ILO stopping it and my dogs bolting out i just lead it slightly and lit the fuse.........the coyote dropped immediately and i scanned back to where the other one was standing inside the weeds but it wouldnt show even after i relit the call.......u can see it meander away after the shot while my dogs are out running to find the one i just shot.........got the set packed up after the photo shoot and went to the next stand but before i can get the call lit at the next stand as i just set down all set up a coyote bolts out of the brush behind us about 150 yards to out east and Stephy immediately sees it & bolts towards it so Patty follows.....the coyote turns and starts away back to the far west side of the field and ILO waiting like i should have i let lead loose and was short as it ran away at over 200...... i didnt try again.....i still called but nothing so we packed it up made one more stand with nothing then called it a night......either way it was a great night out and out first coyote of the season:cool:...........65 TEMP 76% HUMIDITY

11/01/2023........got to our first spot tonight and walked about 650 yards straight north next to a cut bean field then through a 200 yard wide brush line before it opens up into the next cut bean field........i get set up looking north over the bean field about 300 yards to the north to the brush line on the other side and about 600 yards wide or west to east.......the wind was over my back into the field from the southeast.....i set the call about 40 yards out in front of me to the northwest just a bit......get sat down get my dogs gathered next to me and light some Rick Pallet Baby Jack for about 30 seconds on the Roughneck and let it rest while i do a scan......well as soon as i look to my left or the west there comes the coyote from the south west working his way to the downwind side of the call out in the bean field........no sonner do i get on the coyote and get the vid lit up & my dogs catch sight of the coyote and tear out after it.........i hear them bolt out from next to me so its to late to try and restrain them as the coyote is only about 60 yards tops....so i wait and so does the coyote..........just long enough to see my dogs off to the right and i let a dose of lead poisoning go.....the coyote flipas as it drops and at the same time hears them dogs coming and gets right back up and runs dead on its feet 40 yards and falls.......Patty gets to it as she was hot on its tail whereas Stephy slows to get a scent trail then follows her up..........they both find it and i do the photo shoot of them and we get back to the truck to get off to the next set......the deer that was further out into the bean field just kinda stood there and watched the whole thing go down....i made a few more stands but the moon lit up about 30 minutes after this set and we couldnt really find to many hides for our spots but still tried with no further luck.......great night out :cool: .........37 degrees 74% humidity

11/03/2023.........got out last night and got to a spot i been waiting for the corn to get cut.........they finally got to it as this is public property i hunt so the farmers bid to plant the crops each season........either way this field was cut so we walked south about 600 yards first 300 through some small woods down the implement trail then the trail opens up into the cut cornfield.......we walk another 300 south next to the edge of the cornfield which runs north to south about 500 yards and 250 wide..........we get set up facing southeast wind out of the southwest and no sooner i start to scan and there is a coyote already crossing the field straigh to the south.........so i immediately i light the rabbit on the Shockwave and he hears it then starts our way.........i ranged a couple times as he came close and finally thought i should shoot with him facing me.....i also kpt holding the range button to long and it will go though your normal high and ultra modes when u do a long press and i was trying to get my pi in pic lit and wasnt pressing the mag button obviously......either way i light the fuse and throw it left with what im sure was my typical trigger jerk........he starts to bolt so i light the fuse again as he gets going and im sure the shot was behind him this time as he ran and got to full speed.........he quickly gets to full speed and was running parrallel to me from right to left so i went for one last attempt and lit the fuse again......this time we got the result and the coyote rolled DRT at 175.........my Babies got out there and got their fur on and were happy.........i forgot my cell phone so no final in color shoot this time............great night out :cool: .......... 62 degrees 64% humidity

11/14/23.......got back out hunting last night......got to the third stand facing north out over a cut cornfield.....300 yards wide east to west and about 600 yards long north to south and we were sitting at the south end.....the wind out of southeast........i light the call up and start playing the Fox Pro Shockwave but using rabbit sounds i usually dont as i heard other callers last time out.....but just knowing others are calling makes me use non typical sounds......either way after about 3 minutes i see the coyote coming from the east in the XP50 LRF PRO im using as my spotter....i set it down immediately light up my phone on voice record and velcro it to my gun and light up the thermal to get the vid recorded.......i get on the coyote he comes about 125 to 150 yards east to west searching for the rabbit scent and when he stops the second time i send lead......the coyote starts spinning and gets up so i send lead again this time im low or hit a corn stalk and hit his leg.......by this time Patty & Stephy are racing out to find the coyote and Patty gets there first and starts to chase the coyote back towards me......u see the coyote stop and my dog tries to stop and rolls over in the field.......as soon as the coyote stops this time i send another dose of lead poisoning and finish it.......Stephy gets over with Patty & finds her fur & i get out there and do their photo shoot ........great hunt & great night out.......40 degrees 60% humidity...........i as well enhanced the audio by using my phone velcroed to my gun and on voice record to collect more sound then added that sound to the original video for an enhanced sound :cool:

IMG_0022 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
11/16/23...........got back out hunting tonight and the first set was a bust so we got packed up got to the next set......it was a repeat of a set we did a few nights ago walked out 800 yards to the second cut bean field past about 200 yards of woods between the 2 fields.........wind was out of the southeast as we looked north from the south end over the 300 yard further to the north and 600 yard wide bean field.........i get the call about 40 yards out in front of me & light up the Roughneck and play a rabbit distress i normally dont use as i heard another Lucky Duck caller several nights ago........eiither way i get the XL50 thermal scope lit up and go ahead and light the Iphone to get more sound........i do a scan of the field as the rabbit plays and the conditions were still really monothermal from the day as the temp had not shifted yet......either way as the rabbit cries and i start to scan to the left/west the coyote is already coming in about 70 yards out and headed to get downwind of the call.........Stephy my older brown dog is right next to me and sees him but i whisper for her to stay & she does........ as i try to get a scan and do it reads 84 yards BUT Patty/Lil White Lightining takes off as she sees the coyote come into her view now as she was over on my right side and im not sure she heard me whisper either so i let her go ILO trying to whistle her back.......so i hold for second and as she gets set on her run path & gets past where i can lead the coyote i get on the coyote..... even though the LRF was still lit i wasnt even looking at the pic in pic as i didnt know when it was going to go back off........so i stayed with the main cross hair and lit the fuse.........rolled the coyote at 145 yards and Patty caught up to it immediately as shes was on fire out after it and by this time Stephy had taken off after the shot and was lookin for her fur........i get out there and did their photoshoot and then did a scan back to see the coyote is laying at 155 yards from my seat/tripod......either way another great hunt & night out........61 degrees 72% humidity........i also enhanced this video with my Iphone on voice record during the hunt then mated the additional sound straight over the thermal video to add more sound.......thanks for looking :cool:

IMG_0040 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
11/18/23..........got back out hunting tonight and got a few stands in & the first couple were a bust but hunting on public and the same spots over & over its just part of it but they are also having the pheasant put & take this week so im sure there were people & hunting dogs everywhere today.........i tried to find spots i didnt think they were huting and called but still those spots didnt produce.........we did get to the third spot walked south into the southeast wind about 300 yards down an implement path where it opens up into a cut cornfield......when i got to the spot i got my tripod out and set it up to stand as i was just gonna use my hand call and do a few howls and didnt even take my back pack off yet........i start to lip squeak my dogs back from out in the corn field back to me and as i get on the thermal to find them i see a coyote come around the corner of the woods point about 170 yards out straight south........i get the phone out get it on voice record & the get thermal lit up then start to lip squeak some more and 2 more coyotes come around this point that sticks out into the field.........i get a range then get the pic in pic on and send a dose of lead poisoning over and connnect........the coyote drops then runs east & i shoot a couple more times and hit it at least once more if not twice but it still makes it to the weeds........i get out there get my dogs over where i seen it go in.......i find the blood and Stephy leads us in about 40 yards where she finds it immeediately.......i get it out back into the field and do their photo shoot and get a range back to the tripod where we found it........the coyote ended up running about 125 yards from the shot spot........either way the Queen got on the job and we found it quickly.........great night out & another great hunt.........40 degrees 70% humidityi also enhanced the audio by using my Iphone on voice record and layed the extra sound over the thermal video for enhanced audio :cool:

IMG_0051 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

11/22/23........got back out tonight even though the weather was extrmely monothermal making the thermal conditions less then desirable.....i get me and my Babies to the first set and its a set ive only called once so far this season as i had to wait for the corn to be picked and this section was last........walked about 600 yards south down an implement path that breaks out into a cut cornfield but right where it breaks out they left about 3 rows of uncut corn about 50 yards long like a natural blind as u enter the field and right at the edge of the field........i set up on the north side facing south looking about 400 yards across the cut corn and about 400 yards wide east to west........the wind was about 9 mph from the west so i take the Roughneck and set it about 40 yards to the south east out in front on me.......i light the call and play some Rick Pallet rabbit for about 5 minutes off & on and use one i think nobody else may be using as this is public hunting property and i was sure i heard a Lucky Duck a few nights ago........then set for a bit 1 to 2 minutes maybe and light up some blondie howls on the Ricks Killers 3...........i use about 3 lone howls seperated by several seconds then i just start scanning around with my backup XL50 LRF and about 3 minutes later see a coyote coming in from the east towards the call.........i set the scanner XL50 down & i get the XL50 on the gun off standby do a manual NUC and start to record the hunt.... i also light my Iphone to use as the extra sound collector ut it was also very windy tonight........i the get on the coyote and start to watch as it comes in...........the coyote makes it about 75 yards from where i first start to record it and i try a walking shot but shoot right in front missing completely.......he begins to run as hes unsure as to what just happened.... so i get on him again as he runs away and send another dose of lead poisoning and connect...........the coyote runs about 40 yards and rolls up DRT.......my Babies get out there and start their running field scan to find the coyote & to get their fur on........i get out there and do their photo shoot and scan back to see its laying at 104 yards from the tripod.........the weather wasnt very good as i said it was extremely monothermal with the wind making it even worse keeping everything with an even temp and the picture not as good as u want but thats just part of it........great night out & a great hunt........42 degrees 77% humidity:cool:

IMG_0064 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

well today was the start of the 23/24 pheasant season and my babies were ready to go........we didnt get to the hunting spot until about 12 noon and there were pheasant fluffers everywhere trying to fluff some feathers........we got to our first spot and as we approached i see somebody else go down the road so i go past and go to the other side of the same section......before we can even get in the woods they are lighting their guns up bif time they must have shot 15 to 20 times on 30 to 40 minutes but we didnt see a bird or even get a wiff..........after we get back to the truck i go over to the side i wanted to start and they were gone..........we go out and Stephy get the first rooster up after about 30 minutes and i miss it with 2 shots.......we hunt on and about 15 minutes later shes got a hen in the air and i drop the phone to shoot but the thing is coming righ toward me over my head and u can hear wheni drop the phone the second time the nirds wings flapping as it passes over........as it does im waiting to shoot then just as it passes i turn with it miss the first shot and drop it at about 35 yards plus with the seond.......my nanies get over and get their feathes on and we get back to hunting.......the next field Stephy is working a bird and Patty starts to let out a few i smell something like she does when shes on the squirrels in the back yard & barks....... so i turn and start towards her........as i get over in get direction about 20 yards she puts a he up in the air but i miss it........we get back deep into the spot and Stephy starts to go hot and Patty gets in the acation and starts her i smell something too barking but Stephy finally gets a rooster up but its on the other side pf a giant brush line and i could only hear it leave the ground and never seen it..........we get back to the truck and get to another spot and Stephy works a hen for about 2 to 4 minutes before she put it up but i miss it as well........she then goes after it and puts the hen up again as i didnt fly far as the wind was pretty harsh in some spots at 13 to 16 mph all day.........we tried one more spot and Stephy again pit a hen up but deep in cover and i could only hear it not see it..........all in all a great day out with 6 birds in the air 2 roosters and 4 hens & one twice.........32 degrees & sunny w/wind 13 to 16mph :cool:

IMG_0105 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

IMG_0092 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

got to the hunt spot today about 11 and got out in the first field and my Babies hunted for 2 solid hours going hot several times but couldnt get any birds off the ground.....i heard a rooster twice at distance but we never came across it while out........also showing up mid day the field had more then likely been hunted already...........either way we get to the next spot and get out in the field and Stephy immediately locks up..i walk up so she knows to flush and its a covy of quail..........i didnt even realise what is was at first since we arent hunting them and i havent even seen them for a long time........either way it was a great find & flush for my dogs.... Patty even got in on it at the end and got some scent........we kept moving and about 30 minutes later deep in this giant grass field my babies go hot again and i know by their actions its close.......Patty being a baby still wants to be vocal as shes chases....she gets going & Stpehy is working hard as well...then Patty dives in and i can hear here leeping in the tall grass like Stephy used to do as a pup so i know shes close.......then after a few leeps i hear the rooster leave the ground and attempt to get the lift with the phone.......i drop the phone a light the bird up with a one shot wonder.........we get the photo shoot done and get back to hunting.........my Babies work another hour before they go hot again and start to work for a bird thats in deep briars and small woods egde........Stephy finally goes in deep and i hear the bird..... then even her as she im sure sees the bird and starts to chase lets out a few barks even though i cant see her as shes in 40 yards.......i do get a vid of the rooster after he breaks out & hes about 80 yards to the east flying across the field.......they work for another hour with nothing.......then all the sudden Stephy gets a hot scent & Patty starts to get in on it and cant contain herself as she starts to track..........they get to working and finally get this bird off the ground about 15 feet in front of me as they both start right towards it at the same time........it was awesome to watch..........then as the bird lifts i try to get it in the phone then drop it and start the fire fight and didnt hit a thing..its was ridiculous but it happened.....i know it startled me but to miss all 3 was like i said ridiculous hahahaha.......after that i gather my Babies up and we meander back to the truck as a deer hunter was walking towards us as he walked in about 10 minutes later so we walked out..........not my best shooting there at the end for sure but great hunting by my Babies to say the least.......another great day out......26 degrees temp with 7 -10 mph wind from the west :cool:

IMG_0141 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

IMG_0170 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc and TACC
got to the hunting spot about 1 today.........we hunted for about 1.5 hours ........then Stephy & Patty start to go hot and boy does Patty start to work today ...........she gets out in the tall stuff and starts to weed crash so i know she has to be close & she eventually puts a rooster up and i take it...........i get over and get their photo shoot and we get back to hunting.......about 45 minutes later Patty starts to signal hot and then Stephy gets in on the action........they work for about 10 minutes before Patty agin gets in and gets a rooster flushed..........she puts the bird up and it starts right towards me but i blow it and miss all 3 shots............we hunted for another few hours and seen teh same deer hunter coming in again and called it a day..........another great day out..........38 degrees 7 to 9 mph southwest wind :cool:

IMG_0204 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Reactions: crackerbrown
got back out 12/1 after a rain day off and it was windy again but we got after it......my babies worked for about 45 minutes before they went got and started in......took about 5 minutes and Patty had a rooster she was after & i see it running on the ground right in front of me.......i could have shot it but that isnt bied hunting so i tried to get Patty over by me to get it off the ground but it didnt happen......Stephy even finally got in on it and it still didnt come up so we moved on...........got to another field and they worked for over an hour before Stephy went hot rigth as Patty started in with her barking so i knew we were about to see a bird.......both of them were actually leeping in the grass and i assumed stephy was right as Pattty was getting about 40 yards out & still alreating heavily........well after a serious 10 minute chase i think Stephy is about to lift the bird and Patty does and a rooster comes up about 40 yards away so i had to watch it fly off.......we go across the road and they go hot again about 30 minutes later and the chase was on for about 9 minutes before Patty gets another rooster off the ground.......i drop the phone lift the Benelli and miss.......after that i take them back to the truck and get them something to eat and call it a day....

we get back after it the next day 12/2 and hit the first field and they work for about 45 minutes before Stephy goes hot then Patty get in on it and the chase was on for about 6 minutes......then Stephy gets a hen off the ground and i take it with a one shot wonder........they get over and get their feathers on and i do the photo shoot........then we get back to hunting......they work for a while with nothing so we cross the road and they start in.....after about 45 minutes i start to take them in a different direction and Patty starts off into the weeds like shes on amission so i hold up......she gets in about 15 yards and up comes a rooster.......i drop the phone lift the benelli and light the fuse with a miss and light it again and take it with the second shot..........they both get over and get their feathers on & i get over and do their photo shoot........this was our first day to get a limit even though that was my fault each day not my babies as they put plenty of birds in the air......either way it was 2 great days out chasing the birds..........42 to 45 degrees voth days windy 13 mph 12/1 calm 4 mph 12/2 :cool:

IMG_0279 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

IMG_0288 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

got to the hunting spot today about 2 this afternoon.......got my Babies out and we tried a new spot today that we hadnt hunted so far this season but on ethat really gets hit when the pat to play guys are out.........today it happened pretty fast as we werent away from the truck more the 15 minutes and hubting a fence libe that ran through some tall to medium brush on each side.......either way we get out they get working & when my Babies went hot and i knew by their enthusiasum a bird should leave the ground.......well about 3 minutes after they start in up comes the first bird of the day and its a rosster they flush almost straight at me.............. i light the fuse and send lead & completly miss the first shot behind the bird and dont even remove a feather.......i quickly make and adjustment light the fuse again and drop the bird..........my babies get over and get their feathers on.........we get back to hunting and tried a couple more fields and one they worked an acre area for over 40 minutes and couldnt get the bird up.....either way we only end up with the one rooster and i was so happy they have performed so well with all the other people not only going first but then huting each spot each day before we got there which was my fault not my Babies & they still pulled it off every day with birds in the air & i couldne be happier overall..........Patty really came to life as well........another great day out............42 degrees wind 8 mph out of the southwest :cool:

IMG_0316 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Reactions: TACC
12/4/23..........got home from pheasant hunting tonight and my Babies were beat but i had to much energy drink and decided to take the boat across the lake to make a coyote stand...........called rabbit first and a ferrel cat shows up immediately and goes staright to the call to smell the rabbit pee......i let him meander around while i tried some coyote vocals.........didnt see much after about 15 minutes and i wasnt gonna stay long i just wanted to get a hunt in and try for a feathers & fur day since i had got a rooster pheasant hunting.......i started to gather my gear & got back over by the call got everything in my pack and did one last scan before i went down the hill to get back in the boat and go back home.....soon as i did my last scan i see a coyote 50 yards to the east.......then i hear a coyote running and catch it in the thermal as it runs west to east to get down wind of the call.......i watch for it to come up the hill then hear another shuffle in the leaves and see another coyote coming behind the one that just came from that direction ........i get my tripod out get my gun on it and just get on my knees.......i start the Rougneck with some rabbit and call them up once to about 40 yards and just take the vid as i wasnt really worried to shoot while getting this vid quality.......then they start to leave so i start the call again with some Cyanide out of the Roughneck and they start back.........this time the first one breaks the 40 yard mark and gets to almost 35 yards and i take her with a dose of lead poisoning and it was DRT........i get up and look for the others but dont see anything........i do a small photo shoot and get the coytoe gathered up to get it back to the house to wake up the Gang & show them........soon as they come out they start in getting their fur on and i do their photo shoot.........another great hunt even without my Babies this time........38 degrees 80% humidity wind 8mph out of southwest :cool:

IMG_0332 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

I like this thread alot. Awesome how your dogs are "multi-sport athletes" and can hunt roosters as well.

I live in MT, but go down to TX every year to shoot hogs and coyotes. It's amazing the difference in behavior between the coyotes I hunt in MT and the ones down in TX. We can call the TX coyotes in much closer, average shots are always under 100 yards. Up here, shots are usually between 250-350, even at night. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: REID2168 and TACC
got back out tonight coyote hunting as the weather is awesome out......first set we had an owl come in for a visit so i did a small photo shoot to add to my vid............the bext set we were calling ot into a cut beanfield facing northeast with the sind over out back when a coyote comes up behind ua on the implement trail we uased to cut throught and Stephy seem him before i did and bolted after him.......i get to where i can see south and catch the coyote as it goes back into the brush........u can see when i take the vid its a long north to south cut and i got straight south to the end for the next set........i thought maybe i could get south of the coyote i had just seen and get him to the call..........i get back to the truck get down where i cant to be get back out and play a few sounds with nothing,,,,then as i do my last scan i see a coyote about 500 yards out so i immediately light up the Rough neck and go staright to Shelterbelt just as he starts over a rise in the field awy from me and i cant see.......then less then 10 seconds later i see his head pop back up over that rise so he can make sure what he hears........i see him hesitate then start to the call..........so i get the phone lit for some extra sound and get the video started on the thermal.........i see him come past the brush line into the cut a good ways down the field but hes still coming to the call..........he gets to about 25o i think and goes into the brushline but then pops back out before going back in........i knew with us facing north as we watched him and the wind out of the southwest over my back he was gonna show up on the right side of that brushline when he came out......sure enought thats what he did...........he got to about 120 and i lit the fuse with a adrenaline soaked jerk to the right........i am not very good at the first shot as of late BUT get ready when its time fo the back up..........he starts to run obviously so i get back out front of him and light the fuse again and conect.......Stephy gets out there and finds the coyteo abvout 160/170 yards out in the field or about 80 yards past where i shot him at 85 yards from the tripod........i got out there with Stephy did her photo shoot and we drug this sucker back to the truck so we could bring it home to weigh it tomorrow and put the weight on this post as its our biggest one yet for sure...........31 degrees 82% humidity wind 8 mph out of the southwest :cool:

p.s. Patty missed this one and was already beat and wanted to stay in the truck:sleep:

IMG_0347 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

12/11/23......almost exact repeat of the 12/4/23 hunt i just had a week ago but in white hot this time....got home from coyote hunting tonight and my Babies were beat but i had to much energy drink and decided to take the boat across the lake to make a coyote stand again tonight like last week...........called rabbit for 13 minutes and didnt see a thing and i wasnt gonna stay long i just wanted to get another hunt in......i started to gather my gear & got back over by the call got everything in my pack and did one last scan before i went down the hill to get back in the boat and go back home.....soon as i did my last scan i see a coyote 60 yards to the east.......first thing i do is again drop to my knees in the exact same spot as last week & remove my pack take out the tripod & get the gun locked to it.........take the new X24 out set it right by the pack and light it up with some MFK rabbit.....first thing the coyote im watching does is cock his head to hear that rabbit better then he looks over and i know theres another one even though i cant see it yet....the coyote starts my way after it knows what its hearing and along comes the other one with it i knew was there.........i let the lead coyote get to under 30 yards this time as it comes around a tree i knew was less then that from me i light the fuse and send a dose of lead poisoning to drop it right there.........the other i watched run away and could have taken a shot but will save it for another day.....i did a small photo shoot and got the coytoe gathered up to get it back to the house to wake up the Gang again & show them........soon as they come out they start in getting their fur on as usual and i do their photo shoot obviously.........another great hunt even without my Babies .......30 degrees 76% humidity wind 6mph out of southwest :cool:

IMG_0378 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
got back out tonight before Santa Claus was running around the skies & scaring all the coyotes with Rudolph and that nose.......got to the second set of the night and im facing north looking out into the cut cornfield with a south east wind over my back into the field blowing out to my left..........i get the Fox Pro X24 set out about 40 yards futher then my seat to my right and about 30 yards out into the fieldas well........i get all set then light some MFK various rabbit distress and called for a bit with nothing........then i lit some howls and went silent for a few minutes....i did this back and forth for over 20 minutes with various intervals...i do one last scan before im gonna pick up the set & i see a coyote coming right to left to get down wind about 400 yards out straight in front of me in the field......i try to range it but i dont get a reading so i let it go and keep the rabbit playing........the coyote disappears behind the brushline and i dont see him for 2 minutes while the rabbit plays and i know its not that far and the coyote must have stopped moving in my direction........so i stop the rabbit & i light one lone howl then cut the call.........then i just set there again & within a minute here comes the coyote the rest of the way and down that brushline far enough that i can see it again..........i get my shot of adrenaline now and get a range reading and its about 75 yards...it takes a few more steps then stops and i send a dose of lead poisoning over & connect.......the coyote bolts & simultaneously my Babies bolt after it........i try another shot and miss as it runs straight away then have to wait till my dogs clear and try again.......i thought i hit the coyote again but reviewing the vid i cant really tell.......either way it doesnt matter cause he stops & Patty has caught it as she was on it heels and bayed it then Stephy gets involved as well to help......i get out there and dispatch the coyote and get their photo shoot done while they get their fur on........u can see as Stephy get her last bites of fur and shakes the coyotes legs the coyotes foot hits Patty in the nose and she jumps back and barks......it was funny to see.......another great night out.........50 degrees.......82% humidity........wind 7mph out of the southeasti also enhanced the audio with my iphone and mated the sound:cool:

IMG_0425 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

got out to do a set behind the house last night and on the way over i see a couple coons moving along the lake so i did a small vid of them while i was still in my boat as they meandered along..........got my boat parked got up the hill got set up and didnt see a thing for 25 minutes......got my gear picked up got back to the boat and started back to the house.....did some scanning as i did and think i see a bobcat or at least a cat so i circle and try to get a vid and see a coyote heading in the direction i was just calling then i lose it and see another trailing behind it..........i start to get vid as i drive the boat back towards where i just came from.........sure enough the coytoes are going right to where i just was and actually stop in a small opening i was waiting on them to come through towards me at the set.........i see them standing in the opening before they came down the embankment the exact opening i was just waiting for them to show up in.......you see them mark their territory and watch me as i come towards them in my boat...........i get within 60 yards and one comes to the bank and then i get within 40 yards at it starts to do kickbacks and warning bark at me.......he wanders off and i pull right up to the bank where i always park and he comes right over to see whats going on.........i get a small bit of vid with the coyote at 8 yards then he finally doesnt like the scent as i was just standing up there less then 15 minutes earlier and he bolts........the other coyote never showed itself other then when i got them in the opening together staring at me while they marked their spot........no shooting in this case as the gun was not loaded but still a great vid to have for viewing later......32 degrees 72% humidity wind 7mph from southwest :cool:

1/26/24....got back out last night even though it was misty and drizzly again and had been monothermal all day with no real nightly temp shift....made several sets with not much but opposums and deer & and owl catching mice...then at a set i hear a coyote just keep howling & howling like i never heard about 1/2 mile to the west and i actually thought it was another caller...but then thought other callers dont keep going back to back to back with the same exact howl but this coyote did....i get back to the truck drive just short of a 1/2 mile west stop the truck get my Babies out and walk another 200 yards to where the road im on Ts the road that runs north to south parelling the field i knew the coytoe was in.......i get across the road and into the field edge then start to scan the field and there he is crossing tje field about 230 yards north of me..i drop in the field and get the tripod out light the call and get the remote fired up...first thing i think is light a howl as hes been searching for a mate with all that howling......i light up Sookie on the Roughneck and he doesnt like it and starts to go the ooposite direction....i stop it & light up Shelterbelt and he changes his mind.....i fumble around trying to get my Babies settled as he approaches as they know when something may happen......either way i play the rabbit and he comes from 230 yards to 72 before i couldnt wait anymore.........i felt it was time to let lead lose ILO getting him even closer so i did.........the coyote drops and my babies get out to get their fur on at least Stephy does hahahaha...Patty watched as she was tired and ready to go back to the truck as we had been out all day and she goes to fast all day and fades...... haha....thermal conditions were herendous and i hink i need glasses to adjust my focus as it looks out of whack to me based on my icons.... haha.........another great night out..........40 degrees 93% humidity after a monothermal day with a 7mph northwest wind :cool:

IMG_0554 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
got out tonight and hit a few sets first one was a bust with not even a peep from a coyote......got to the second set got set up facing southeast wind over my back from the northeast about 5mph......put the X24 about 40 yards out in front of me and played a few MFK lone howls....the first set was boone lone howls then im pretty sure the second set of howls i played one was Tory on his mouth call as i remeber watching them before they sold electronics and it sounded like him.......the coyote about 400 yards south lit up immediately so i played to him stalling a bit with the remote between each howl then went silent........ then played some whipmers....this coyote couldnt take it as when i swung back with the whipmers playing he was already there at the brush edge and u see him start immediately towards me as they play........the wind was more less directly at him from our position as i expected them to come from a more westerly spot but this one was standing directly in our down wind......i do a range and hes at 140 so i try to get my adrenaline soaked arms ready and i let lead loose.....he drops right there but then decided to make a few more steps and so i lit back into him until he stopped....he got about 60 yards already dead before it was over..its easier then letting them get to far in waist high brush with my dogs which we do but not if we dont have to.........either way my Babies get out there find the coytoe and get their fur on barking and raising their hell they like to do after we get one........made a couple more stands and got one more response at a different set but the coyote wouldnt break the brush for a shot.........another great night out.........36 degrees 82% humidity 5mph northeast wind :cool:

IMG_0606 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
got out tonight and got some sets in before the rain/snow drizzle started..........first set a coyote comes out at the complete oppposite end of the field.......i get set up quickly and start the X24....im facing east the call is another 30 yards east and the wind is over my back out into the field from the northwest at about 7 mph.....i light a howl and the coyote doesnt respond....he stops to listen but doesnt get interested.........so i try a higher pitched sounding female howl and again he stops but doesnt find the interest to come towards the call.......he gets out of sight over into a dip in the field and i try pup distress 3 and before i know it he pops his head up from behind that dip he was in and starts towards the call.......you can see him stop and dart towards mice as hes coming towards us...........then he finally gets far enough back to the north that hes in front of the tall part of the embankment further to the east so its safe to shoot........he stops a couple times like i said trying to catch the mice he sees as he comes towards us.....i get the pip lit on the scope and he stops again & i send a dose of lead poisoning over and center puch the coyote........he drops right there BUT then hears my Babies coming in hot and decides hes got another 60 yards worth of life and gets up and gets right to the fields edge before hes done........my Babies get out there find him and get their fur on & get to raising their hell & barking & biting the coyote like they want to do.......Patty even is starting to want to get in the action and bite the coyote ILO just barking and watching Stephy do it....got their photo shoot finished and made a few more sets but couldnt get anymore players before it started stedy drizzle so i called it a nght...another great hunt and great night out .........42 degrees 75% humidity northwest wind @ 7mph :cool:

IMG_0645 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr