• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

me or the rifle?

komifornian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2011
Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
Went to the range today and as usual something odd happened.

When I shoot groups of five I usually shoot about a about . 5 to 1 minute.

When I shoot ".5" dot drills" (shooting at 1/2 inch dots) at 100 meters I shoot .25 minutes. Meaning I hit every .5" dot every time - usually in the center.
In other words, when I shoot at one black dot with one bullet I'm a "super sniper." However, when I try to shoot groups I'm average at best.

Weird! Any thoughts on why this could be?

Cheers~

I wonder if when you shoot groups you are adjusting your aim each time you see a previous impact. If you have a scope with food turrets why not dial up a mil and shoot a group while aiming at the bulls eye. The fact that the bullets are not going to the point of impact might help you to avoid chasing the impacts.

Put one of your .5 dots on a blank sheet of cardboard and crank in about 10 moa of windage. Don't look at the holes! If your group is NOT .25 your original story smells! .25 with a gas gun kinda smells anyway.

If your group is NOT .25 your original story smells! .25 with a gas gun kinda smells anyway.

While the OP's claims of accuracy are quite excellent, I don't see where he mentions what kind of rifle he is using.

While the OP's claims of accuracy are quite excellent, I don't see where he mentions what kind of rifle he is using.

No, but his post is in the semi-auto column. He said 100 meters and .25 MOA. Maybe he is shooting one shot groups.

No, but his post is in the semi-auto column. He said 100 meters and .25 MOA. Maybe he is shooting one shot groups.

Indeed it is. I came here from a notification rather than from the Simi-Auto column and I failed to notice that. Hopefully the OP will be back to tell us what equiptment and methods he uses to get such amazing results.

Indeed it is. I came here from a notification rather than from the Simi-Auto column and I failed to notice that. Hopefully the OP will be back to tell us what equiptment and methods he uses to get such amazing results.

Or at least what kinda dope he smokes.

Wouldn't be able to shoot a .25" group with my REPR if I tried....would bet it is safe to say this ended up in the wrong section, otherwise do tell of this holy .25" device.

Wouldn't be able to shoot a .25" group with my REPR if I tried....would bet it is safe to say this ended up in the wrong section, otherwise do tell of this holy .25" device.
A REPR is far from a benchmark for AR accuracy!! The only way a REPR will ever shoot a .25" group is if you chamber one in 6mm and only shoot one round.

Well, it's obvious that the OP stretched the definition of a group, since he is only shooting one shot at each 1/2" dot. Even so, hitting every 1/2" dot on a dot drill inside the black is no mean accomplishment.

Well Komifornian, what kind of rifle is this again? Perhaps you could post one of these dot drill targets.

I think people are missing what the OP said exactly. He did not shoot a .25 MOA group, but rather all his shots landed inside of the .5" dots and he implied .25 MOA by doing so. I think focusing on that is detracting from his question.

First off good shooting! Keeping focus and hitting that well with an auto is impressive! I think some other members maybe onto something by aiming at a point on the target your bullets are not impacting.
100 yard BR targets work this way by having an aiming box a few inches above the center of the bullseye.