• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

measure bore to scope center

SuddenDeath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Hartford, Ky.
Hello gentelman,
What is the best way to measure scope center to bore center, I was wanting to play around with some ballistic programs and this measurement is need, I have a guess of 1.875 but I would like to double check it. Thanks

Re: measure bore to scope center

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a standard tape measure/ruler and measure from the center of the bore to the center of the scope tube. Also, it's "ballistic". </div></div>
Yea, I know how to spell it , sometimes my fingers don't hit the right buttons.... LOL....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a caliper? </div></div>
Yes, I do have a caliper and that is how I came up with a eyeball measurement of 1.875

I use a caliper to measure the barrel(d1) and scope(d2) diameter, then measure the space (x) between the scope and the barrel.
Sight Height = x + (d1+d2)/2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HN7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a caliper to measure the barrel(d1) and scope(d2) diameter, then measure the space (x) between the scope and the barrel.
Sight Height = x + (d1+d2)/2 </div></div>

Just make sure all three measurements are taken in the same plane. Barrels and scope tubes taper.

Where do you take this measurement from if your using an angled base?

Objective, ocular, or between the rings near center?

It doesn't matter. The measurement is not critical. To confirm that for yourself, vary the measurement in a ballistic program by a quarter of an inch, and note how little difference it makes to the calculations.

Here's the pics I post every time this subject comes up. Measure bore to center of windage knob. Been using it for years and it works without a Phd in math.
P6120518.jpg

P6120517.jpg

Dont short change yourself, Rob. We all know you are a secret rocket scientist. You and Lindy sneek off after the match and derive the formula for the rate of change of the air density behind a 6.5mm round in the transonic period. It's time to come out of the closet......but just you. Tony can stay IN the closet.

In all seriousness, I measure mine like Rob does. I also did the experimenting that Lindy talks about some time ago and found out it is not as critical as I once thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha! Rocket science is easy. If you want something hard, try to figure out what's going on in the mind of a woman.
laugh.gif
</div></div>The accuracy of which would depend on a unique multiplier derived for each woman.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha! Rocket science is easy.

If you want something hard, try to figure out what's going on in the mind of a woman.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

Debating Coriolis effect sounds 1000 times easier.

don't start that one again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha! Rocket science is easy.

If you want something hard, try to figure out what's going on in the mind of a woman.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

Something is going on in the mind of a woman??!! You must have a different model from me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuddenDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello gentelman,
What is the best way to measure scope center to bore center, I was wanting to play around with some ballistic programs and this measurement is need, I have a guess of 1.875 but I would like to double check it. Thanks</div></div>

Guess

calipers if you're picky ruler if you just want to know
as others have said ballistics prog.'s don't show much difference