• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Measuring 100 Yard Range-From chamber or end of barrel?

Winchester59

Minuteman
Nov 9, 2013
Missouri
This has got to be the dumbest question I have ever asked on here (and I did do a search prior to posting). I have set up several 100 yard ranges over the years and just place the front of the bench at the 100 yd. line. A flood recently took out my current bench and as I was replacing it, I got to thinking about where to set the bench, the muzzle end or the rifle breech at the taped 100 yd mark?

Every decent rifle range I have been to that has BR or sanctioned matches the range is set up so that from your sitting position at the bench your muzzle is basically at the starting mark for yardage.
Unless your cheating with an unusually long barrel ?

Thanks XLR308, that's what I have always assumed to be the case. Just over-thought it this time I guess!

I use the advice richthe1 posted. I think the edge of the bench would be a good easy to measure point between the turret and muzzle.

Using my competition rifle, I am at statistical zero from 80 to 120 yards. I adjust up .1mils at 125 yards.

It makes me wonder if it matters if you are off by a few feet here or there.

If that 20" odd inches makes a difference in your group location you are shooting the tightest groups known to man. I wouldn't sweat it one way or the other.

Reactions: ...
when i set up to shoot prone matches..... my elbows are on the firing line...

when i shoot offhand.....my left foot is on the firing line.....

ballistically speaking....everything is measured from the muzzle.

practically speaking....it doesnt matter.

The beginning of trajectory is the muzzle.The point of convergence for line of sight is the reticle plane, which is more or less under the turrets. Choosing a spot in the middle would be a logical compromise between the two.