• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Measuring MOA on targets

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    Is there an official way to measure MOA for groups? Is it always assumed that you measure from center to center to get your widest spread on a 5 shot group? (I generally do 5 shot vs 3 shot groups, I feel like 3 shot groups just don't tell the tale very well)

I didn't have my calipers with me on this trip, so I had to just put my tape up there, and this is just store bought, but match grade. What would you guys say this group is?

Attachments

• IMG_20210602_1230218.jpg
      IMG_20210602_1230218.jpg
      286 KB · Views: 67
    Measure the two holes that are farthest from each other, center to center, or out side to outside & subtract the diameter of the bullet you're shooting.
    Looks to be around 5/8th of an inch or .625 moa.
    There are apps you can download to your phone that will figure all this out for you too.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    Measure the two holes that are farthest from each other, center to center, or out side to outside & subtract the diameter of the bullet you're shooting.
    Looks to be around 5/8th of an inch or .625 moa.
    There are apps you can download to your phone that will figure all this out for you too.

It was 5/8 outside to outside though, so center to center it's much better than that right? It may not quite be 5/8 but that's what I remember it being.

Any app in particular that is better than another? I've seen others post with the overlay and figured that's what it was.

I found this app. Don't know how to put my bullet and scope info in it yet but it's pretty cool.

Attachments

• IMG_20210606_161914.jpg
      IMG_20210606_161914.jpg
      216.3 KB · Views: 69
    I've been using Ballistic X and like it a lot. Very simple to use.

Reactions: Scoutabout
    I use something like this, just overlay on top of the target - i like it because it's transparent so you can also see no other flyers that may have been covered.

vgi9ddspue801.jpg

It was 5/8 outside to outside though, so center to center it's much better than that right? It may not quite be 5/8 but that's what I remember it being.

Any app in particular that is better than another? I've seen others post with the overlay and figured that's what it was.
    Ballistic-X is pretty good.

Looking at the pic you posted, it appears that the top left and bottom right holes are the furthest apart from each other.

It's tough to get a good measurement on that paper. Harder paper (card stock) gives holes that are better defined.

I agree with previous posters in measuring outside to outside, subtracting bullet diameter.