• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Measuring Ogive to Lands

markefuller

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I am trying to use the Stoney point tool to measure when the bullet ogive touches the lands on my factory .308 rifle.
I am following the suggestion in the instructions and using a .25" wooden dowel down the muzzle end so I can move the bullet back and forth with the plastic rod on the tool and the dowel, examining the point it catches.

On three measurements, I got 2.097" until the slighest little bit of resistence that I can detect. If I apply just a tad bit more pressure, the bullet will go in to around 2.112, 2.113, and 2.118 where it stops hard.

If I desire to seat off the lands by about .010, should I use the first measurement that has slight resistance, or the bottom out measurement?

Bullet: Hornaday 168gr A-Max
Rifle: Savage Model 10FP .308

Thanks everyone

Re: Measuring Ogive to Lands

The trick with the Stoney point (now Hornady) is to sure the empty case is really in all the way. What I do is:

put the bullet in the case

put the case in the chamber by fingers

rap the base of the case with a dowel & hammer several times

then screw in the bullet seating tool and push the bullet forward until it hits the lands, lock the setscrew

remove & measure

IME, seating depth (except with Barnes bullets) is one of the least significant variables in handloading

You can also smoke the end of the bullet and see if it is really touching the lands. You also need to measurer at least 5 bullets and then take an average of the readings. Then you seat a bullet to that depth buy measuring it and the screw your seating stem down until you reach the setting that you want.
larryj

Alliant Reloader 15 44.0 CCI BR2 Hornady 168 A-Max 2.875" COAL.

Call it a day. Shoots good in almost every 308 Ive shot, factory savage or rem that is.

MarkFuller ........

There's a much easier way. I use a resized case that has a slotted neck. It holds the bullet loose enough to allow you to chamber it, and have the bullet push deeper into the case when it's chambered. However, the case neck is tight enough to hold the bullet when you open and retract your bolt.

OAL-3.jpg

Then measure it (from the ogive) with an inexpensive device like this:

calipers.jpg

You can read more about this technique (and others) our website.

- Innovative

One of the mods on PM made a tool to measure land engagement. Works with any bullet and any rifle .204 cal + up.

It works EXCELLENT and everyone who's tried it recommends it highly...

Here's a LINKY to an amateurish "how to" about it on PM...

Question related.... I'm using a rcbs precision mic , when placing the fake case and bullet into battery should I close bolt hard, measure repeat? Or firmly but slowly closebolt measure repeat? To get most accurate reading of land touch?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Innovative</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MarkFuller ........

There's a much easier way. I use a resized case that has a slotted neck. It holds the bullet loose enough to allow you to chamber it, and have the bullet push deeper into the case when it's chambered. However, the case neck is tight enough to hold the bullet when you open and retract your bolt.

OAL-3.jpg

Then measure it (from the ogive) with an inexpensive device like this:

calipers.jpg

You can read more about this technique (and others) our website.

- Innovative

</div></div>

I did this before I got my Hornady tool. They both came out with the same measurement so I know that this method is just as good as any tool.

As for closing the bolt. I just push the cartridge in all the way with my fingers then pull it back out. Then take the measurement. You have to make sure that the slotted neck still has a good amount of tension in it. You load the bullet long into the cartridge, then push it into the chamber. The lands should push the bullet back.

I have the curved stony point tool and i could never get a repeatble measurment with it. I also went with ths sinclair tool and never looked back. I get repeatable measurments with it all the time