• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Measuring Powder

Chris399

Online Training Member
Minuteman
So have I been over thinking my powder drop????

I have a scale that has a readability of 0.002 grains, so I am trying to maintain a thrown charge of +/- 1 kernel weight. If a kernel of Varget weights 0.020 grains, I try to keep my charge +/- 0.020. And the same with H4350 which is around 0.030.

My initial drop is with a Redding powder dispenser about 1/2 grain low. I have found this Redding unit to be, what I consider, somewhat unreliable +/- 0.3 grains

I do have low SD's (2-5 fps in the 6 creed and 7 - 9 in the 308) but it takes me about an hour to charge 50 cases and then another 20 minutes to seat bullets as I measure each one after seating. I generally break this up 50 on Thursday evening and 50 on Friday evening.

Maybe I'm just being too anal?

Chris399

If you enjoy the time spent and you are getting the results you want, what the heck? Full disclosure, I have a similar regimen, so it would be hard for me to criticize.

I have the same issue with my hornady, same style powder throw as redding. Im thinking it has something to do with the way it handles extruded powder. Even with the micro adjust it can have a .3 range. Blc2 which is ball meters more consistant.

I bought a trickle for exact load dev but im not sure a .3 range will matter enough for me.

Sounds like the point where someone would buy an auto dispense scale combo.

Trickling up doesn't take long. What wastes time is all the handling between cartridges. I have started experimenting with my process.

I just started setting my old school mechanical RCBS powder thrower 1/2 grain light and charge all the cases and set them in a reloading tray. After all are charged, I pick up the case, pour it into the pan, trickle it up, pour powder back in and then set it in another tray on the other side.

It has saved me a bit of time, not sure if I'm gonna stick with it yet.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
For speed with accuracy, switch up to an Auto-trickler with Auto-throw.

There also seems to be a new diy trickler option if you like a project.

For speed with accuracy, switch up to an Auto-trickler with Auto-throw.

There also seems to be a new diy trickler option if you like a project.

What is this dyi trickler you speak of? I love projects.

I run 2 RCBS chargemasters and call it good enough. Unless it’s a powder that meters well then I just use my Lee powder measure and call it good enough. Life is too short to do what your doing imo.

Thanks for all of the input. After the initial charge from the Redding, I use a two speed trickler made by Dandy Products to come up to weight.

I guess I was really fishing for how many don't measure at all other than by volume and what are your results down range?

Yeah at what point between 1 kernel and 15 kernels off do you really start to see a difference down range?

Thanks for all of the input. After the initial charge from the Redding, I use a two speed trickler made by Dandy Products to come up to weight.

I guess I was really fishing for how many don't measure at all other than by volume and what are your results down range?

ive played with loading by volume or dropping out straight out of a powder throw...fine out to 300yds past that things get sketchy.