• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Measuring Sight Height...

nations1017

Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
MS
Need some advice...what is the best way to measure sight height? Would like to know so I can enter the correct info into my ballistic app to get a true trajectory. I've noticed that the default sight height in most ballistic apps is 1.5" but obviously there are a lot of different factors that would effect that. Thanks.

Center of the scope tube to the center of the bore...

doesn't have to be to the 10th of inch, but if you can get within 1/8th you are good.

There are different places on the rifle people use, but basically, center to center using the scope's main tube center.

Measure from the split in your scope rings down to the relief hole in the action. That will get you real close.

Straight out of the online manual for "Shooter".

Sight Height - This is the height from the centerline of your bore to the center of your sight. To measure this accurately on guns with a mounted scope, measure the diameter (that is, from side to side, not all the way around) of the barrel just ahead of the scope's bell and divide that number by 2. Now measure the diameter of the scope bell itself and divide that number by 2. Now measure the gap between the bottom of the scope bell and your barrel. Now add these 3 numbers together to get your sight height. It should be somewhere around 1-3".

Measure the scope tube divide by 2 measure the bolt face divide by 2 then measure from the top of the bolt to the bottom of the scope and add the three together and you will be close enough.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Measure it at the windage knob for any scope. Here are the usual pics I put up every time this comes up. No math needed and takes about 30 seconds. This method works perfectly and can be very accurate although as mentioned being off a little isn't going to mess with the results much if any at distance and will only show up more inside 50 yards.

P6120517.jpg

P6120518.jpg

Just saw this...thanks Rob01. Makes things much clearer seeing pictures of how to do it.

Measure it at the windage knob for any scope. Here are the usual pics I put up every time this comes up. No math needed and takes about 30 seconds. This method works perfectly and can be very accurate although as mentioned being off a little isn't going to mess with the results much if any at distance and will only show up more inside 50 yards.

P6120517.jpg

P6120518.jpg

Rob,

Thank you for the excellent pictures. I have one question: Do you make any account for the cant on the rail? My GAP Templar V2 action has a 20 MOA cant on it.

Just for reference, I am will be using Applied Ballistics via a Kestrel.

For most bolt guns you can measure the diameter of the receiver and divide by 2. If a rail is mounted measure the average height of the rail. Most ring dimensions are stated to the center of the rings. Add the receiver diameter divided by 2 plus the average rail height plus the stated ring height.

Rob,

Thank you for the excellent pictures. I have one question: Do you make any account for the cant on the rail? My GAP Templar V2 action has a 20 MOA cant on it.

Just for reference, I am will be using Applied Ballistics via a Kestrel.

Look where that measurement is. About in the middle so it's an average of the 20 MOA. Even if it was off a little the difference is so small it's not going to make a difference. All my bases are 20 MOA including a GAP Templar and works just fine.

You can go and do complex mathematics to figure it down to the .001 but it's not needed and a waste of time. Just run the numbers on a ballistics program and see what the differences are.

How would you do this for a red-dot / eotech? where would one measure from?

If you suffer sheer boredom and/or perfectionism, there is always image ratio analysis ... but this can give you a quick estimate. The shorter height is a 30mm tube, the taller height is a 34mm tube. This was optic height above the crown.

Attachments

• Mike_Sight_Height_28bbl.JPG
    Mike_Sight_Height_28bbl.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Doug_Optic_Height.JPG
    Doug_Optic_Height.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited: