• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Measuring wind speed

PMPerformance

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2008
Surprise,Az
I'm in the market for a wind speed device any suggestions?? Noticed that the I-phone has an app,anyone tried it or should I buy a specialized device??

Thank you..

Re: Measuring wind speed

Krestrel 4500 would be my choice as well, I bought the 4000, but wish I would have gotten the 4500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krestrel 4500 would be my choice as well, I bought the 4000, but wish I would have gotten the 4500. </div></div>

Why would you want the 4500 over the 4000? I don't yet have either and am currently making up my mind. I had leaned toward the 4000 as it's cheaper and I didn't think I needed the compass or NV features of the 4500. But I've kept my mind open and am looking to be convinced on the 4500. Thanks.

I like the compass feature alot, the difference in price is worth it IMHO.

Any quality wind meter will serve you well but remenber its not the wind at the shooting position that will get you its the many diffrent winds between the shooting position and the target. Get Jim Owens book on reading the wind and learn it. Thats how to shoot in the wind!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PIGtooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one day they will combine a kestrel a garmin and an iphone. then life will be complete.</div></div>

and on that day....your batteries will die....then what ?

I'm also in the market. Wind direction, crosswind, head and tail wind features in the 4500 needed for Exbal?

is it hard to use one i never have and was thinking of buying one to tinker around with at the range

I don't think the directional and crosswind features of the 4500 are really needed, unless you just have a surplus of funds and like gadgets.

Ballistic programs just want the magnitude and direction of the wind. You can judge for yourself the wind direction to within 30 degrees or so, and that's perfectly adequate given the other uncertainties associated with the wind speed, some of which have been mentioned above.

A 4000 is handy if you're going to use Density Altitude firing tables, because it computes DA for you.

If you're not going to do that, a device which measures the wind speed, temperature, and pressure is fine. Add humidity if you're going to extra-long distances - at distances at or under 1000 yards it may be ignored.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PIGtooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one day they will combine a kestrel a garmin and an iphone. then life will be complete.</div></div>

and on that day....your batteries will die....then what ? </div></div>

Are you saying that the old "Murphy's Law" is hard at work again?