• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Meat Grinder Recommendation ?

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    It's time that I upgrade my game processing equipment and buy a meat grinder for the deer and antelope that I've been hunting lately.
    I have a couple of bags of trimmings, etc. that need to be ground for hamburger or sausage and while I could take them somewhere I'd rather do it at home.
    Budget is about $ 300.00

The Cabelas options aren't bad. Depending on how large of a unit you are looking for. It would probably be a good idea to get a Grinder account and ask there, they have tons of review for meat processing.

I have a cabelas 1hp model. It's great but above your stated budget

I've got the Cabelas 1.5 HP grinder. I bought it off a guy for $250 and it was nearly new. He ground three deer worth of burger with it.

It'll suck the tin man through it if you're not careful. I've done quite a few deer with it and it always just plain works.

It's definitely overkill, but I don't see why it shouldn't last my lifetime

Last edited:
    I have a hand grinder...... works well for 1 deer or antelope at a time.

Elk, then wish I had a power grinder....

A good buddy did a little research. Bought a used, old cast hand grinder.
    Retrofitted the handle to a wheel. Bought an american made 1HP electric motor with a small wheel and uses a belt to drive. Built it all into a power grinder (stored doesnt take much more room than a commercial model) for around 1/3 the price.

Have done serious meat volume (100+ lbs in a session, making our own sausages) on these and impressed.
    I dont have it all written down, but bet you could find some plans/ideas on the web.

1586527650572.gif

LEM, Cabelas, Weston. Don't get anything less than 3/4, 1-1.5 with a foot pedal is ideal. I do 2 elk a year, with about 80lbs of burger, 40lbs of summer and salami, and some various other meat goodies. I have the Cabelas 1HP model and it will grind meat as fast as I can feed it. I fucked around with one of those kitchen aid attachments and was embarassed to have tried. It's big game, get a big grinder...

Reactions: CaptNemo
    I’m also a fan of the cabelas carnivore 1hp. It can process quickly, as fast as you can feed it. Very quiet and easy to clean. As stated above, LEM and Westons in the 1hp range are solid units as well.

Antelope Culling season and deer hunting got underway in the past week, so it was time to enhance my capabilities.
    490E43F3-6506-4FF9-87E3-45AAAAE272D9.jpeg

looks like I’ll be breaking this over the holiday weekend

The Grinder worked like a champ, I had the hams & rear quarters from 6 cull antelope that it chomped thru with no issue what so ever.
    25AE0227-8A1A-459B-B4EC-DC563F40E0DF.jpeg

I took a back strap and made jerky with it
    5E1D9718-AE6E-4E61-8EE7-D3A35EB5192E.jpeg