• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mechanics of the Support Hand

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Another Article posted on the Home Page,

What does the support hand actually do during the firing sequence?
    It’s very hard to see and understand the role of the support hand when it comes to shooting your precision rifle in the Prone. It’s hidden by our body position and the subtle movements are masked by the attention put on the firing hand. We know, the firing hand has two tasks:

1. To Manipulate the Trigger without disturbing the lay of the sights
    2. To hold the rifle in the shoulder pocket supporting Trigger Control
    supporthand-1440x960.jpg
    What does the support hand do when the firing hand is off the rifle

We know it’s holding the back of the rifle, but many people only see it holding the rear bag. We use a rear bag to support the butt of the rifle in the vertical plane. The support hand controls this by relaxing or squeezing the bag. So if we are holding the rear bag, how do we support the horizontal plane with the butt of the rifle?

The support hand has to do several things at once, manipulate the rear bag elevation, and then hold the butt of the rifle. It has two purposes just like the support hand however this one is more a dance. Let’s look at this part of the rifle and how we interact with it. I use my thumb and index finger to hold the stock, and my, Middle, Ring and Pinky to adjust the rear bag.

See More by Following the Link

As a new shooter I have been scouring this forum for knowledge, skills, and techniques, that are freely shared here on the Hide. There was one thing that was happening that I could not trouble shoot. During the recoil impulse, after the shot, the crosshairs of the sight would end up 2-4 mills to the left of target. I tried many things including video with my phone. I videoed from behind the bipod and to the side. The recoil impulse was going straight back with no hopping or twisting movement that was noticeable. Then I came upon the above article that Frank posted. I was holding the rear bag with all of my hand and realized that was more than likely the issue. I went out to the range a few days ago (ranges are a essential business here in Arizona) to try my new found technique. I used my thumb and index finger as discussed above which solved most of my issue. Im sure there are other things I can do better, but at least I can now spot my own hits or misses much easier. Thanks to Frank and all the other members who have made me a better marksman.

Your welcome . Looking forward to Improving my craft with you and Mark at TreadProof in August

I am I the habit of loading the bipod a little and not using the firing hand for support except for moving the rifle into position when I scoot side to side, and then squeezing the trigger (wrap around grip). I could remove that hand from the rifle without changing the rifle position. Is this a poor habit I have been able to compensate for? I'm not in the habit of using firing hand to pull the rifle into me when prone, I have the top of the recoil pad tucked under my clavicle.

Apnea: If I may suggest there is no need to reinvent the wheel. I would suggest reading and applying the techniques in the above article and mechanics of the firing hand on the home page. There is another thread called rifle position in the shoulder pocket. Learn these skills and use the specific techniques and evaluate the results. It doesn’t mean that it is gospel or can’t be modified but more than likely you will get good results. The Information is coming from some of the most experienced and skilled people in the field. To discount it or not try it is at your own peril. Develop a checklist of the various techniques and skills you want to practice. Dry fire them in the comfort of your home and then take it to the range. At the range use your checklist to make sure you are incorporating your new techniques and skills Into your thought process. Then send some rounds down range, and as the student evaluate your success for what your trying to improve. Such as reticle staying on target and seeing your misses or hits and follow up shots. Then put on your instructor evaluator hat and evaluate yout performance and then be your own instructor. Did you incorporate all the techniques you were trying to accomplish etc. I do believe some people are more able to teach themselves certain skills and technique. Thats why it behooves most of us to seek training somewhere along the way. I hope this may be of some help. For all I know, you may be applying all the above already.

Great article but being a left handed shooter on a righty bolt gun a few adjustment are required.