• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

media for tumbling

Re: media for tumbling

I use corn cob with Nu-Finish... lasts however long I guess

they all work

Just go to your local pet store, navigate to where the terrariums are and buy a bag of crushed walnut shells. Cheaper than the gun store by far

I use walnut shell,its free from work and we get it by the 2000lb. super sack.I think I would have to go through alot of brass to use that much.

If you are using a rotary tumbler (Like a Thumlers Tumbler). I started using Stainless Steel media. It last forever and does one hell of a job cleaning. 3-4 hours of tumbling with warm water, Joy or Dawn dish soap will get the looking clean as new! I deprime all my brass prior to tumbling and after they are done there is not carbon inside the pocket, case body, or outside anywhere. I only use corn cob with a little non-ammonia based cleaner added to it to clean off sizing lube!

Picture of stainless media!

media1.jpg

Some 40 S&W brass dumped into my separator!

media2.jpg

Cleaned 40 S&W Brass

media3.jpg

Tumbler and Media In action! I made a Clear Lexan Lid so I can see my progress!

DSCI0005-2.jpg

After I have them all cleaned I toss them onto a towel and dry them off as much as I can. Then they go into my home made brass drying box! It's a 800rnd 5.56 M27 linked ammo can with a 67watt Light bulb, and a axial fan to keep the air flow. I also have several holes drilled into the lid and a couple below where the fan is. leave them in over night and they are dry as a bone the next morning.

Picture of the drying box.

DSCI0001-5.jpg

I will not use any other method! Its quick, Extremely clean, and no corn cob or walnut stuck in the primer pockets or flash holes.

Terry

Thanks for the info. I've been using lymans treated corn cob.

I use Lizard litter from Petco. It's fine walnut. The dryer you keep your media the longer it lasts.

Walnut blasting media in a 25 pound bag in the coarse grind with a cap full of NuFinish for the original clean. Straight walnut to remove lube.

We use corncob and Brasso to pre-clean.
Nice and shiny outside.
Spent primers in.
Easy to check for other problems quickly.

After loading
4 lb corn
4 lb fine walnut

dry

minimal lube requries little cleaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Lizard litter from Petco. It's fine walnut. </div></div>

Switched to that about 6 months a go and wish I did earlier. Doesn't get stuck in the flash holes as much as stuff that's made for the purpose, go figure.

I drop used fabric softener sheets in with the brass and that absorbs alot of the dust.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I drop used fabric softener sheets in with the brass and that absorbs alot of the dust....... </div></div>

Good tip on the dryer sheets; Im going to give that a try...

I use corn grit from a sand blasing supply store as it is dirt cheap. They also have walnut hulls but have never used them.

"I use Lizard litter from Petco. It's fine walnut... Doesn't get stuck in the flash holes as much as stuff that's made for the purpose"

Actually, nothing is made for the purpose. All ground cob and nut is produced by firms that make it for any purpose, blasting is the largest consumer. All others simply purchase quanities from the producers in the grade they perfer and package it for resale.

I have found that an inexpensive fine grit blasting cob media does a great job and also doesn't clog holes. And it lasts so long I'm not sure how long it lasts, I would have to make myself a note when I load new stuff and I don't do that!

Polish is polish (unless it has ammonia in it). The least expensive is as good as the most expensive. I've been using cheap auto polish, Nu-Finish, for years with fine results. Most people seem to use too much polish and that makes for a lot of media dust which need not be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are using a rotary tumbler (Like a Thumlers Tumbler). I started using Stainless Steel media. It last forever and does one hell of a job cleaning. 3-4 hours of tumbling with warm water, Joy or Dawn dish soap will get the looking clean as new! I deprime all my brass prior to tumbling and after they are done there is not carbon inside the pocket, case body, or outside anywhere. I only use corn cob with a little non-ammonia based cleaner added to it to clean off sizing lube!

Picture of stainless media!

media1.jpg

Some 40 S&W brass dumped into my separator!

media2.jpg

Cleaned 40 S&W Brass

media3.jpg

Tumbler and Media In action! I made a Clear Lexan Lid so I can see my progress!

DSCI0005-2.jpg

After I have them all cleaned I toss them onto a towel and dry them off as much as I can. Then they go into my home made brass drying box! It's a 800rnd 5.56 M27 linked ammo can with a 67watt Light bulb, and a axial fan to keep the air flow. I also have several holes drilled into the lid and a couple below where the fan is. leave them in over night and they are dry as a bone the next morning.

Picture of the drying box.

DSCI0001-5.jpg

I will not use any other method! Its quick, Extremely clean, and no corn cob or walnut stuck in the primer pockets or flash holes.

Terry </div></div>

and this method works on bottle necked cases?

Walnut, that is .010 to .015 in size. No stuck media and a little brass cleaner to
get them shiny. The stuff I have now is about 9 years old and I just washed it about
2000 cases ago. It lasts for a long long time. But I ultrasonic clean most of my rifle
brass and only tumble after its all prepped to load. Same with 45acp I compete with.
All the rest of the pistol gets tumbled only.

427Cobra: Yes, I clean 22 Hornets all the way to 50 BMG with this stuff!

Bill: PM sent

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where can you order the stainless media?
Bill</div></div>

I'd like to know, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use corn grit from a sand blasing supply store as it is dirt cheap. They also have walnut hulls but have never used them.

</div></div>

bingo.........................i have done the walnut too !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSPKurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where can you order the stainless media?
Bill</div></div>

I'd like to know, too.</div></div>

PM Sent

Gents, I got some corn cob from the pet place today but its way too big. My .223 cases are stuffed full of the shit now.

How fine does it need to be? What should I be looking for perzactly?

I had walnut media since I started back in 2000, same stuff, always worked well but wiping the cases off after just got to the point I didnt bother tumbling anymore since about 2007, forward to now.

I still dont reload much right now due to being in the box, and when I go home I dont mess with it too much dont want to spend much time away from my girls since I only get 2 weeks. Anyway while I was home the time before last I thought I would try the ISSO, it worked fair but still not great. And last time I was home I was raiding the reloading section of Cabela's and noticed the ceramic stuff. BTW, I found Nosler brass to be cheaper than the Win brass for 300WM and 308 win. $35/50 for nosler and the win was marked $37/50. was able to get 5 boxes of each since it looked freshly stocked.

Back to the Ceramic. 1st attempt was a failure which was due to me being a man and thinking directions are for dummies. Appearently you need to put the ceramic in the tumbler alone and let it run for 24 hours. it was nice and shiney when it went in, now its a duller color. tumbler had trouble with the whole 1 gallon bucket but when i started piddling with it I had 100 308 cases, and about 1/3-1/2 the bucket of media in there and a water/cleaner solution. Cases came out looking as new and were clean inside and out. no need to wipe anything just racked them up and sat them outside for about 15-20 mins to let them dry.

I only messed with it for that much, put it outside to let it dry out and back in the bucket it went.

BTW at first some were stuck in the cases, but I put them back in the tumbler and turned it on, took a few seconds and the pieces came right out.

Couldn't find the Lizard shit...litter i mean on Petco's WWW. Hrmmmmmm....

Switch to the Stainless steel media. You'll never look back works just as good if not better than my ultrasonic cleaner. Plus you get to set it and forget it. Don't have to keep an eye on it and change out the liquid till its done tumbling. Then throw the next batch in and hot water and dish soap is all you need.

I see you picked some up off my buddy! Nice stuff
grin.gif
!

All my shooting buddys are using it to clean their brass.

Welcome to the club!

Terry

Yes I did. Thanks once again. Never realized how much time I wasted with other methods. I will never go back to my old ways. Only other thing I would like to try is maybe throwing some of the other types of stainless media in with it. But I can't see it getting much better.

I have had some PM's asking me how I seperate the SS media from my cases! Thus, I have made some Video of how I do it! Hope it helps!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHL8w7aWyl4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHL8w7aWyl4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RPTeJ7ioEUc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RPTeJ7ioEUc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jF9AMv-1V4s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jF9AMv-1V4s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_rZmiSCE5W0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_rZmiSCE5W0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PzGA0lebq-Y"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PzGA0lebq-Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fEWjLuWOFAs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fEWjLuWOFAs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Is there a stainless media that can be used in a RCBS vibratory type cleaner? I shoot a lot of suppressed 5.56, and my brass gets very dirty.

By the time you get enough of the Stainless media into the tumbler you will have exceeded its capacity!

The rotatory action with soap, warm water, and dish soap is the ticket to getting them clean as new. I have tried every method out there and the stainless media in a rotatory tumbler is the best I have found!

Terry

What size drill bit again did you use to put holes the 4th video? I'm hating it. I cant get some tumbling done right now. My cheap plexiglass top I made broke. Getting a Lexan one made.

I forget the exact diameter I used! I do know that I calipered the media and drilled the holes just under that measurement to keep them from falling out the bottom of the separator!

Here is the dimiensions for the Thumler's Lid! This will help you get it made right!

lexanlid.jpg

If you need it I can email the PDf file of the dwg I made! Let me know!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My cheap plexiglass top I made broke. Getting a Lexan one made. </div></div>

I still use the rubber seal and steel lid provided with it! If your not in a hurry and letting it run overnight then no need for the clear lid!

My one lid looks like smoked glass now from the media wearing on it! LOL!

Terry

My steal lid is at the glass shop so they can Make the same size lexan circle. And they are so slow. They have had it a week.

Bastards!!
mad.gif
If you want I can email you the dwg for them to use and you pick up your lid!

Shit, how hard is it to trace a lid and cut it out!

Terry

My Frankford Arsenal tumbler crapped out after 3 years. I went to Harbor Freight today to get one of their tumblers- looks just like the FA unit. While I was there, I saw ground glass media, thought I'd try it. Bad idea. Cases look like hell. Lesson learned. Back to walnut.

I guess its harder than I think. I guess there busy. But hopefully they will get it done this week. But I'm having two made there $20.00 a pice no holes. They wanted five dollars for each hole. I can do that.

Did you buy the big one or the little one! I bought the small one to tumble the lube off my cases after sizing! Get the replacement warranty for it and needless to say I have burned out two in a year! They do not like me at Harbor freight! LOL!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They wanted five dollars for each hole. I can do that. </div></div>

$5 a hole!! Holy shit! So, they are only cutting you two round 9" peices of Lexan and taking that long!!! Damn!

What thickness!

Terry