• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Medical Course, anyone know these guys?

Re: Medical Course, anyone know these guys?

Curious as to why you are taking the course? Is it for anything more than just good info to have?

Pretty basic curriculum. Price is average. It is a fair introduction to emergency trauma management in the field from the link, but it is not for any kind of certification.

Sounds pretty good to me. But reember its a introduction class,hences the one day training. This is what we use in our Truck Driving Hazmat classes.Minus the realistic "patients" which makes it more real.I'd say its worth the money. If you help save someone or even having the knowledge to save,Its something you will pat your sefle on the back. It could be a family member whose life you might save!

I took an emt-b course a while back. I'm hooked. Very interesting.

I took an EMT-B course at the local Community College. I would recomend taking the medical course from Tactical Response.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://specopsts.org/Courses.html

A friend and I are going to take the course, but was wondering if anyone here knows anything about them. Any info would be great.
Thanks </div></div>

LR-
I have never heard of this company, however, and this is strictly my opinion, I would tend to think a one-day course is not enough time to even "highlight" the necessary skills...even for a basic course. They advertise training in some key areas:

Focus will be on:
-The maintenance of the airway thru the use of manual/artificial airways
-The treatment of major breathing injuries including treatment of gun shot and stab wounds in the chest with the use of occlusive dressings.
-The treatment and management of life threating/severe bleeding thru the use of pressure dressings, hemostatic agents, and tourniquets.

I would give them a call and inquire about what type of hands-on training you will have. Again, just my opinion but I would think a course like this would require at least three days - two days of instruction and the third day consisting of "real-world" scenarios. I would consider also, as previous authors have stated, what will you be using this for and will you be building on your knowledge. An EMT-B certification is a great place to start if you can see yourselve wanting to use it in the civilian arena. PHTLS is a another building block and of course you have SOCM if you are in the military. Sorry to cut this post short, I've got to go but if you have more questions send me PM. I'm not a doctor but I have had the training mentioned above.

I havent heard of these guys either and I would agree that 1 day is not alot of time to learn anything... Basic CPR is like a 4-5 hour block... Army CLS is 1 day.... so what are you going to learn there? I am not saying that you wont pick up something but I would pass. I am here in the sand box and all of our guys go to a couple well known courses that are 3-7 days on average. One in Vegas and the other is mobile.... Both only train Military, DOD/DOS Contractors and LE. If I am gonna pay out of my pocket I am gonna try to get the best for my dollar. If its on my company/agency dime I will go and hope that there is some helpful or refreshing info provided.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long is the EMT-B course? </div></div>

Some courses are about a month.

Thank You for all the feedback so far.

We are taking it because its local (chino, Ca), fits our schedule and budget, and neither of us are medically trained. We called and the guys who teach the class are ex-special forces medics, and the whole class is hands on.

Im not looking for an EMT certification, I just want to be able to keep some one alive until the parmedics arrive. We are shooting every week between training, recreation, and competitions, and right now if someone gets shot the plan is to call 911. I carry a small blow out kit, quickclot/celox, C.A.T., chest seals, misc bandages, ect... but still would like a hands on course.

Second Emilio's comment on the Tactical Response medical course. Took it in 2007 taught by a doc out of Ft. Bragg. It was excellent. regards, Dale.

I am sure you will probably get your moneys worth then. You can learn a lot in a 1 day course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank You for all the feedback so far.

We are taking it because its local (chino, Ca), fits our schedule and budget, and neither of us are medically trained. We called and the guys who teach the class are ex-special forces medics, and the whole class is hands on.

Im not looking for an EMT certification, I just want to be able to keep some one alive until the parmedics arrive. We are shooting every week between training, recreation, and competitions, and right now if someone gets shot the plan is to call 911. I carry a small blow out kit, quickclot/celox, C.A.T., chest seals, misc bandages, ect... but still would like a hands on course. </div></div>

Awesome....good luck, pick their brains, and get your money's worth!

Not having medical training is going to help you. Protocols are a little different in a dynamic environment were a threat exists, and you will have no habits. I took a look at the course sounds like a great intro course. The instructors sound like they have a wealth of knowledge, so ask questions and lots of them. The price is right, I wish I lived in the area. Never pass up a chance at some hands on training with people who know more than you.

As far as it not being long enough, that's a given. But with no medical training, this course should leave you wanting more. I would expect them to put you under some stress, and show you how to use that Quikclot, some basic airway management, and how to know when it is time to go. In short, plugging the hole, and when waiting is not an option to preserve life. If you decide to go further with medic training, send me a PM, I used to teach it a little. Good luck, you should have some fun.

Let us know what you thought of the course.

If you are carrying a jump bag, or something of the sort, you really NEED to know what to do with what you have on hand. That includes when NOT to use something like quick clot. Good Samaritan laws only cover so much. If you show up on scene with gear that you don't know how to use... you can get into a lawsuit if it isn't done right. The first thing you have to do it tell everyone "I don't know how to use this and I have never been to an official school for it and I don't work for the EMS." BP kit, 4X4s and tape and band aids are about the legal limit in Tennessee without some kind of training that gets you a state certificate. In the state of Tennessee if you don't roll up in an ambulance you are required to tell the patient if you do or do not work for an ambulance service and have or have not had training. If they are anywhere near coherent, you need to get a verbal "yes" from them.

I’m not saying these things to step on toes. I’m trying to help you make an informed decision. Training is good. But if you don’t get a state certificate and license, you’re asking for trouble.

Victor does make an excellent point. However it sounds like you have a little just in case bag for you and your shooting team, and you want some hands on training on how to use it. As long as you trust your shooting team not to take legal action over some chemical burns from Quikclot (just an example), when you are attempting to save their life, I would worry too much about not having a license. I would be happy to have my unlicensed partner save my ass and make sure I make it home.

I think Victor's point is geared to the general public, he is absolutely right, you should not go around providing medical attention to people you don't know. With everybody looking for a handout you are asking to loose your house. Good post Victor, it is something people need to think about, despite their intentions.

I think everyone should take and EMT-B course, especially if you have kids...

It's good fundamentals on emergency care.

My suggestion would be to take half the money you are gonna spend on the course and hire a local medic with time in the job to teach you...

Better yet, hire a seasoned medic fresh out of the military..one with a good rep, time outside the fence and some history of actually treating trauma. Do this every year for the next decade (different guys each time) and you might get a working understanding of trauma care on the cheap.

"Victor does make an excellent point. However it sounds like you have a little just in case bag for you and your shooting team, and you want some hands on training on how to use it"

Correct. Anyone besides my family and few close friends is going to get the 911 phone call, nothing else.

Start with a Red Cross first aid class then move up as you feel comfortable. CPR is good for everyone to have. The local community college has a First Responder class that's 1 semester.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
LR338nut said:
http://specopsts.org/Courses.html

Focus will be on:
-The maintenance of the airway thru the use of manual/artificial airways
-The treatment of major breathing injuries including treatment of gun shot and stab wounds in the chest with the use of occlusive dressings.
-The treatment and management of life threating/severe bleeding thru the use of pressure dressings, hemostatic agents, and tourniquets.

</div></div>

By requirement, the FDNY requires FD personnel to only be CFR-D certified. That is less qualified than EMT-B. We learned all those things, my opinion if you want to be more aptly trained, I would definitely do the EMT course. It may be longer, but you will be more/better prepared going that route. JMHO

I have heard and seen good things from Tactical Response. Got some instruction from one of their instructors last week. He showed some video of the medic course, and I was impressed. It looks like some intense training with lots of "stress". Might be a good refresher for a guys that have been on the couch for awhile too.