• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Medium action for 6.5 PRC

clcody

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2023
Wyoming
I'll start by saying I have very limited knowledge and this is my first custom build. I have a few questions about a 6.5 PRC I am planning. I've seen that the general consensus is that a medium action is the most appropriate for the PRC, even though long and short actions do work, it seems like you can't have the optimum load with a short action and a long action may have feeding problems. I found the action I think will work, but I am curious about what stock to use. The defiance action I was looking at is a medium action that is a Remington 700 short action footprint. Does this mean I can buy a stock that fits a remington 700 short action? If so, I think it would be perfect. My gunsmith prefers to work with short actions anyway. I am also curious about other custom actions that have similar pricing and quality as defiance. Thank for the help ahead of time!

Its not completely clear you're aware of this from your post, but a Defiance medium is the same internal length as everyone else's short action. Yes they will fit a standard 700 footprint. Their XM length action is a true Medium with 3.2” internal.

The easiest and most cost effective medium is probably the Zermatt Origin medium action.

Its not completely clear you're aware of this from your post, but a Defiance medium is the same internal length as everyone else's short action. Yes they will fit a standard 700 footprint. Their XM length action is a true Medium with 3.2” internal.

The easiest and most cost effective medium is probably the Zermatt Origin medium action.
Awesome. Thank you that’s exactly what I needed.

Awesome. Thank you that’s exactly what I needed.

Unsolicited advice, and call and talk to Front Range Precision out of MT in regards to an action and build parts.

Top notch outfit to do business with.

Zero affiliation other than being a satisfied customer and have had great experiences buying from him.

Mediums available that are of same footprint:
Zermatt mediums tl3, sr3 origin
Lone peak medium
Defiance xm +
Stiller medium
Bat Vesper medium

Defiance xm is it's own proprietary action screw spacing, and is kind of the bastard child now. If you're seeking a budget option, a Tikka t3x magnum action is essentially a long medium, at 3.4". They work quite well for the prc. I've done a few.