• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mega .308 Preview

paulo_santos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2006
NJ
www.spdcrossfit.com
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">INTRO:</span></span>
I just received the Mega Arms .308 from Rainier Arms to T&E today and I just wanted to post my initial impressions before I take it out to the range Monday and Tuesday.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">FIRST IMPRESSION:</span></span>
When I received it at work, I showed it around to my co-workers and the first thing they all said was that it was absolutely beautiful. When I picked it up, I asked myself, "is this a .308?" I thought it would be heavier, even with the PRS Stock.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">SPECS:</span></span>
I don't have all of the details yet, but the upper and lower are the new Mega Upper and Lower set (serial number is 8), Noveske 16" barrel, DD 12" AR-10 Lite Rail, Timney Trigger, and PRS Stock.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">WEIGHT:</span></span>
After I got home, I immediately wanted to compare the weight of the Mega .308 to my 16" LMT Piston AR. My LMT Piston weighed 7.5# while the Mega .308 weighed 9.5#, which honestly didn't feel like 9.5# at all. Definitely balances very well. I knew some of the weight came from the PRS Stock, which are very heavy. I happen to have an A2 stock lying around, so I decided to check the difference. With the A2 stock, the weight dropped to 9#, which is more reasonable. While I like the PRS Stock on a 20" Precision build, I prefer to use the A2 stock for this build. Actually, I think a Vltor EMod would be absolutely perfect on the Mega .308.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">PICTURES:</span></span>
For now, I took some crappy pictures just to show what it looks like. I'm waiting on my new camera to arrive one of these days so I can start up my new hobby. I'll update pictures when I do my full review.

d2e1e0f1.jpg

7c5c4c6b.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">UPCOMING TESTING:</span></span>
I have 500 rounds of the 168 GR Bullets ready for testing with Varget, H4895, and Benchmark. I'm curious to see if Benchmark will cycle because it is borderline fast for the 168 GR bullets. I'm also testing some Hornady 168 GR TAP. I will be doing accuracy and Chrono testing in the upcoming weeks. I also plan on taking this out to 300 yards and see how she does, along with some practical shooting.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS:</span></span>
One of the main reasons I have never really considered a .308 was mainly due to the weight and I had always thought that the .308 was best with a 20-26" barrel. With some of the recent .308's like the LMT and KAC, I have begun to look at these smaller .308's a little different. Up until now, I thought that the Remington 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel were the best options, especially for hunting applications. I'm definitely reconsidering my previous thinking. Premium .308 ammo is the same as 6.8 and 6.5 ammo and the .308 has much cheaper plinking ammo available. Plus we are talking full power cartridge compared to medium power cartridge. I think something like a .308 Hunter Model with a light barrel and a lightweight handguard would be a great seller in the hunting sector.

More to follow...

Re: Mega .308 Preview

Thank you for the review. I'm in the process of putting one together as soon as I get my parts from Mike@ Mega.

Very cool rifle. Surprisingly light as well.

I absolutely agree with you on the shorter .308s. Before I was reluctant to go less than 20"-24" but with that kind of length and barrel weight, you give up a lot if you plan on hunting. My 16" LMT shoots great out to as far as my range allows (600-700yds), so I would imagine you could get to 1K shooting at steel.

What kind of glass are you going to put on it?

Keep us posted on how she shoots!

Just a quick update before I go to work. I just returned from the range and put 100 rounds through the Mega and had NO malfunctions. I used the 168 GR BTHP handloads with H4895 (42-43 GR) and Varget (44-45 GR). Varget was slightly more accurate and faster. I did 5 round shot groups at 100 yards with a Leupy 4.5 powered scope, which is plenty for me. The best accuracy was right around 1.3MOA, which is a very good start because I used the same bullets and I don't know if this barrel likes these bullets. The velocities ranged from 2350-2475 FPS. I am going to see if I can go back on Monday and try Benchmark Powder and some Hornady 168 GR TAP ammo.

I don't want to get too much into the recoil yet until I try out the Benchmark. It was ejecting at the 1 o'clock position with Varget and H4895. I'm no expert on the .308's yet, but I don't think it should be ejecting at the 1 o'clock position. I want to see how it ejects with Benchmark and the Hornady factory ammo before I determine if it is overgassed or not. When I contacted Hodgdon, I spoke with one of the guys who has a .308 AR and he said H4895 and Varget are ideal for the .308 and Benchmark is borderline fast. His cycles with Benchmark, while his buddy's short strokes.

I believe it is Armalite. The firing pin has a spring. Once I do the full review, I'll have all of the info and take pictures of everything.

Great write up Paul. I keep stareing at the reciever sets everytime I head over to Rainier's websight. I'll be looking foward to hearing more on your testing.

Is this the matched sets used as a build by Rainer or did you build it? Just wondering, very nice! I'd love to have one.
grin.gif

Awesome looking rifle! Thought I was starting to get over my urge to build an AR10 but now that I've seen yours, its back.....thanks alot!
grin.gif

Mega makes some nice stuff. I recently finish an Ar15 build for my son (which was a gift for his 14th birthday) that I used a Mega Upper and Lower for the recievers.

Paulo,

You should drive south and lets test that joker!!!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paulo,

You should drive south and lets test that joker!!!

John </div></div>

LOL. Don't temp me. I'll see how long I get to keep it.

ACCURACY RESULTS:

Support Used: Front and Rear sandbag.
Optic: Leupold 1.5x4.5x scope set on 4.5x.
Trigger: Timney Trigger.
Range: 100 Yards.
Shot Groups: 3 5 round shot groups.

168 GR BTHP.
Brass: Winchester.
Primer: CCI #200.
OAL: 2.800"
Temp: 70.

42 Gr. of H4895: HI: 2398 fps, LO: 2322 fps, AVE: 2365 fps, ES: 76, SD: 20
ACCURACY: 2.78"
42.5 Gr. of H4895: HI: 2442 fps, LO: 2376 fps, AVE: 2413 fps, ES: 66, SD: 17
ACCURACY: 1.30"
43 Gr. of H4895: HI: 2473 fps, LO: 2398 fps, AVE: 2432 fps, ES: 75, SD: 19
ACCURACY: 1.61"

44 Gr. of Varget: HI: 2478 fps, LO: 2406 fps, AVE: 2443 fps, ES: 72, SD: 19
ACCURACY: 1.38"
44.5 Gr. of Varget: HI: 2482 fps, LO: 2398 fps, AVE: 2450 fps, ES: 84, SD: 24
ACCURACY: 1.31"
45 Gr. of Varget: HI: 2510 fps, LO: 2455 fps, AVE: 2473 fps, ES: 55, SD: 13
ACCURACY: 1.39"

41 Gr. of Benchmark: HI: 2464 fps, LO: 2402 fps, AVE: 2419 fps, ES: 62, SD: 18
ACCURACY: 1.72"
*41.5 Gr. of Benchmark: HI: 2482 fps, LO: 2428 fps, AVE: 2462 fps, ES: 54, SD: 17
ACCURACY: 1.56"
*42 Gr. of Benchmark: HI: 2530 fps, LO: 2469 fps, AVE: 2499 fps, ES: 61, SD: 15
ACCURACY: 1.46"

* = hot load (41.5 GR had very light ejector marks. 42 GR had ejector marks. According to Hodgdon, 42 GR should be at 49K PSI).

CONCLUSION:

With Benchmark, it still ejected at the 2:30 position, but it was lighter recoil that the Varget, H485, or the Hornady TAP ammo. I am pretty sure this barrel is overgassed, but still very accurate. So far, I have 220 rounds through the barrel without any malfunctions. Surprisingly reliable. I also did some practical shooting from the prone, kneeling, and standing position and it was very controllable. With the Benchmark Powder, it felt like an overgassed 6.8 SPC. More to come.

Hey Paulo,

Nice writeup, as usual.

I agree the Noveske barrels are a bit overgassed. I have a Tubbs flat wire spring in my MA-TEN carbine receiver extension and ejection out of my Noveske 6.5 Creedmoor barrel is right around 4-5 o'clock.

Keep it coming! I need some insperation to start a new 308 SA build and I love the billet combo's. Would love to see some close-up shots of upper and lower now that it has some use on it.

Cheers!

Rooter