• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mega Billet Upper Handguard Compatibility?

Capri_Man

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2018
Washington
I have a mega arms billet ar15 receiver set that I will be building into a 6mm ARC with a 24" +2 barrel. I'm looking for see what handguards other people have used with the mega billet uppers. I'd definitely like to find at least a 15" maybe a 17" handguard to either come right up to the gas block or cover it. Bonus points if its a flat top but not required.

Pictures would also be greatly appreciated!

MEGA-AR15-SET-BIL_media-1.jpg

Some of the handguards I am looking at are:

BA Logic
BA-Logic.jpg

Rise armament stinger
rise-stinger.jpg

Geissele mk14
Geissele-mk14.jpg

Last edited:
I put an SLR on mine. I really like the HG but it needed some relief under the .875 ID gas block. The reason I bring it up is most 24" barrels use gas block journals larger than .750" so slim HG's may have clearance issues.

I put an SLR on mine. I really like the HG but it needed some relief under the .875 ID gas block. The reason I bring it up is most 24" barrels use gas block journals larger than .750" so slim HG's may have clearance issues.

The SLR ion ultra lite is an interesting unit. Your right I did spec out a .875 gas block, and thats why I am pretty sure that if I go with a slim handguard that it will need to stop just before the gas block.

Have the same setup and went with the ZEV hand guard as it closely matches the anodizing and fitment is spot on.
The ZEV wedge-lock handguard has one of the best lock-up systems on the market.

ZEV 14 5/8” Wedge Lock Handguard

When I first picked-up the ZEV handguard, I immediately noticed the distinctive color and smooth and lustrous finish. The ZEV handguard has a velvety, luxurious look that feels so good in the hand. The ZEV handguard is sure to stand out on the firing line.

zev_wedgelock_handguard_003-2349074.jpg

The US patent for the wedge lock mechanism employed in the ZEV Wedge Lock Handguard states that it was invented by Michael Miller and James Reid. The patent was originally granted to Mega Arms and has more recently been transferred to ZEV Technologies.

wedge_lock_patent_01-2445789.jpg

The wedge lock mechanism that secures the ZEV M-LOK handguard to the ZEV barrel nut is a simple, yet elegant approach to fastening a handguard to an upper receiver. Speaking of the barrel nut, the ZEV barrel nut is a hefty 3.6 ounces of finely machined stainless steel. The ZEV handguard comes with a custom barrel nut wrench.

zev_barrel_nut_001-2445805.jpg

The ZEV wedge lock assembly sits in a bottom lip of the ZEV handguard. The slim design of the wedge lock assembly allows for a sleek, streamlined handguard profile when compared to some of the more bulbous designs on the market.

wedge_lock_patent_004-2445826.jpg

handguard_lip_01-2445818.jpg

wedge_lock_in_handguard_001-2445819.jpg

wedge_lock_in_handguard_front_01-2445825.jpg

The wedge lock assembly consists of a top wedge and a bottom wedge with a Torx bolt sandwiched in between them.

wedge_lock_patent_001-2445827.jpg

wedge_lock_002_resized-2445831.jpg

wedge_lock_bottom_wedge_001-2445833.jpg

wedge_lock_forward_view_001-2445978.jpg

wedge_lock_patent_003-2445847.jpg

top_and_bottom_wedges_separated_01-2445852.jpg

The top of the top wedge has a concave shape that perfectly matches the curvature of the barrel nut. The top wedge and the bottom wedge are mated at an angle such that when the Torx bolt is tightened, the top wedge is pulled rearward and upward wedging itself between the barrel nut and the bottom wedge and handguard forming an extremely solid lock-up.

The top wedge prior to being tightened . . .

wedge_lock_in_handguard_front_01-2445825.jpg

. . . and after being tightened . . .

top_wedge_after_tightening_001-2445864.jpg

The ZEV Wedge Lock handguard used for this build is the 14 5/8” version and it’s manufactured from 6061 aluminum. The handguard, barrel nut and mounting hardware have a combined weight of 15.5 ounces.

The ZEV handguard has an indexing/anti-rotation pin at the 12 o’clock position. The hole in the ZEV handguard has an interference fit with the anti-rotation pin and mates precisely with the anti-rotation hole in the SOLGW upper receiver. The ZEV handguard also employs two anti-movement set screws at approximately the 04:00 and 07:00 positions.

wedge_lock_antirotation_pin_02b-2446748.jpg

SOLGW_upper_receiver_antirotation_001-2446117.jpg

wedge_lock_handguard_attached_01-2446112.jpg

The installed ZEV Wedge Lock handguard had zero degrees of rotation referenced to the picatinny rail of the upper receiver.

wedge_lock_handguard_zero_cant_001-2446906.jpg

When selecting a gas-block to use with an M-LOK hand-guard, you’ll want to pay particular attention to the inside diameter of the hand-guard and the outside dimensions of the gas block. You don’t want to make the amateur mistake of installing a MK12 gas block under an M-LOK hand-guard that doesn’t have appropriate clearance for that gas-block. For this build, I used a V Seven Weapons Systems 17-4 PH stainless steel, set-screw, low-profile gas-block with an IonBond finish.

v_seven_gas_block_installed_01_resized-2482051.jpg

That's great info on the mega/zev handguards! They will be my fallback, but I'm just not particularly fond of the styling.

On the way home today I remembered that I have a shorty Balistic advantage logic rail in the cabinet. So I dug it out, spun the barrel nut on and..... damn it!
20231106_161404.jpg
20231106_161415.jpg

20231106_161500.jpg

20231106_161504.jpg

As you can see because the rail tucks in at the receiver it won't mate up to the billet upper. If someone was real brave and had that section cut off the rail it might work but I'm not gonna risk it.

Does it need to be aluminum? Faxon makes a really nice 17" carbon fiber handguard. I have the 13" version. Lancer makes a nice CF handguard too.

Does it need to be aluminum? Faxon makes a really nice 17" carbon fiber handguard. I have the 13" version. Lancer makes a nice CF handguard too.

I was leaning towards aluminum for perceived durability and lower cost, but that faxon carbon unit is tempting.

My Geissele MK16 doesn't fit my GTR-3H upper:

fFtnnaN.jpg

QD4jJOA.jpg

Emailed ZEV, got this response:

Update for Case 28730 - "GTR-3H Upper is not MilSpec?"

Good afternoon,

That is correct. Our MEGA GTR-3H Billet upper has a different Hex shape with flats instead of the smaller rounded profile of a MIL-SPEC upper.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

ZEV CS Team

I think I'll need to take a dremel to the upper to get it to fit.

Ya that's one of the reasons I went with the WOA handguard. It can be done, but it's gonna take some work.

Incase anyone in the future finds this thread the WOA 14.6" TR handguard fits the mega upper and clears the +2 Gas system.
20231215_184231.jpg

I'm going to jump in here and ask this same question about the Maten. Any alternatives that fit it? I've got one that has the old keymod and I'm thinking about finding a keymod.