• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mega Ma-Ten 260 1k test drive

rc2125

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2007
Granger, Indiana
Decided to gamble on building a semi-auto rig for my primary 1k steel bang'r. Mega Ma-Ten upper/lower, 24" DPMS .925" 1:8.5 barrel, rifle length gas, JP fore end, Geisselle enhanced 2-stage, Magpul grip/buttstock, Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP Mrad and American defense recon 20moa mount.

aa51d7f8.jpg

Never reloaded for a semi auto rig before, I took several crash courses via search engines/etc and got things on track.
After dialing in the neck tension, groups started looking better. Tried many loads with H4350 and RL17 powders, cci primers, lapua 260 brass, redding full length, .293 s bushing

It was quite a chore getting the 139 scenars to shoot under an inch, couldn't push them past 2715fps without crater'd primers and double digit sd. Once I got the neck tension down, they did around .7 (*max mag length, 2.805 w/.04? jump to lands)

Ordered some hornady 123gr Amax bullets to try. At max mag length 2.805 they are .033 to lands, I can push them just over 2900 with no pressure signs and noticably less felt recoil/movement. The 123's are not finicky whatsoever, they group well no matter the charge or brass variables. Found the max charge of H4350 that produced velocities that don't vary more than 11fps, 43.7gr at 2905fps avg. Could get higher fps with no pressure sign, but the velocities varied more than 20fps. R17 allowed around 30-50 higher fps, but got fps that varied 15 to 40+.

Some 100yd targets, shot off the back of the rzr:
c6391295.jpg

Drove the the range yesterday to stretch it out, but had a scope hiccup that left me dead in the water. When dialing elevation, the reticle would stop it's travel at a point, only allowing +4mrad of travel. Dialed the heck out of it last night, L/R, U/D and it has regained full travel again....?

237e8b89.jpg

139 scenars, 42gr H4350, 2715 fps

5rnds 1000yds: -8.8mil w/200yd zero
8cf11252.jpg

123 Amax, 43.7gr H4350, 2900 fps

5rnds 1000yds: -8.3mil w/200yd zero
1298c4f5.jpg

thru the bushnell spotter before going downrange:
b2a942e6.jpg

Only a few inches difference in wind hold between the two at 1k.

Gonna stick with the 123's, less fussy, cheaper and easier to drive. Might try the 140's for the hell of it some day.

Re: Mega Ma-Ten 260 1k test drive

whats the group size on those AMAX's? That looks pretty sweet!
I always thought those plastics tips wouldnt hold up to the rough feeding of a gas gun.....

very nice looking rifle and groups. looks like a fun day out on the range

looks like the driver's on his A game to get those groups @ 1k. sweet rig, never shot a .260 in a gas gun, any big differences besides ballistics that you've noticed from a .308? I got a JD lower and upper in 308 and this looks like a good way to blow some cash on another upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the group size on those AMAX's? That looks pretty sweet!
I always thought those plastics tips wouldnt hold up to the rough feeding of a gas gun..... </div></div>

ive shot thousands of 60vmaxes through my old ar15 and never once had an issue with them and produced some stellar groups when the driver did his part

I may be switching over to them.....been doing some research and found the ogive is moved farther forward to work better in the Grendel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the group size on those AMAX's? That looks pretty sweet!
I always thought those plastics tips wouldnt hold up to the rough feeding of a gas gun..... </div></div>
Not sure. Haven't noticed any deformation on rounds that were unloaded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may be switching over to them.....been doing some research and found the ogive is moved farther forward to work better in the Grendel. </div></div>
Thats why I got a box and tried them. They're jumping .033 at max length, compared to around .045 that the 139 scenars were, maybe thats why they are not as finicky, berger 130's woulda been over .050, not sure where the sierra's fall in the mix. Coulda been alot easier with a custom barrel/chamber, but at around $210 for new dpms barrels, it helped to stay under budget which allowed purchasing a spare barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lance Criminal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..... any big differences besides ballistics that you've noticed from a .308? I got a JD lower and upper in 308 and this looks like a good way to blow some cash on another upper. </div></div>
Switched from a 308 to a 243win a couple years ago, after seeing how well the 6mm bullets flew, couldn't resist. The switch to 6.5mm just puts me in the middle ground, with potentially longer throat life than a 243(?), flatter trajectory and staying ss a little further out than the 308.

Nice rig, and good shooting. I have a ma 10 set ordered to build a .260. Can't wait to get it.

Nice rifle and nice shooting. If you're up at Young's and run across a white guy in a silver BMW or red Dodge truck, check with him on load development for the .260. Mike's been running a .260 gas gun for awhile now. You guys could compare notes, loads, etc..

Damn good shooting and congrats on the build!

How are you liking the Ad Recon scope mount? I have been running a similar scope unimount setup between a couple rifles and absolutely love the Ad Recon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you're up at Young's and run across a white guy in a silver BMW or red Dodge truck, check with him on load development for the .260. Mike's been running a .260 gas gun for awhile now. You guys could compare notes, loads, etc.. </div></div>
I'll keep a look out, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How are you liking the Ad Recon scope mount? I have been running a similar scope unimount setup between a couple rifles and absolutely love the Ad Recon. </div></div>
It's my second recon mount, they are top notch. On this rifle,load and scope combo, they're "20 moa" mount allows just over 17mil of available elevation with my 200yd zero. The other is on a 556 AR, works great w/vortex 1-4pst, great little scope.

Sent the scope on it's way to Vortex this morning. Sucks, waited what seemed like a year for the scope and after getting everything dialed in, it decided to hiccup.
Fingers crossed, I told them something like ...feel free to swap it out with a razor HD EBR2 if ya got that needs a home, I wouldn't mind. Hopefully they don't take it the wrong way a chuck mine on a shelf for a few weeks.

Seriouly that is a nice setup...sorry you had an issue with the vortex. That upper and lower have to be the most badass looking set availible. Looking at them now. I want an AR-10 build that is not just a off the shelf with with add ons.

Sent the scope in tuesday, for the reticle not moving when elev dial was dialed after certain point in its travel. Fedex dropped off a package from vortex after lunch today, got the original scope back, said they greased collimeter/something and replaced turret pads. Fast turn around! Hope it keeps working......

Got the scope back on and zero'd, got to the range to run the 123's some more,

7fa62dae.jpg

123's 1k .5-.9 left wind
dc34d654.jpg

again
0520a306.jpg