• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mega MA Ten Monolithic build

Matt.Cross

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2010
North Carolina, USA
In February this build began when Dave Branson started the Mega Arms group buy. I signed up for a matched monolithic receiver. While I was waiting for my receiver to arrive, I began scouting out parts to complete my build. I ordered a custom barrel and matched bolt from Lothar Walther, and bought a SI Defense Fail Zero bolt carrier at the same time. The bolt carrier was still in development at that time, and though they're now completed, SI is still waiting for their bolts to ship back so they can begin shipping to customers. SI also sold me a MIAD grip, which will ship with my bolt. Brownells was the go-to source for the smaller components to complete the lower assembly. A DPMS lower parts kit supplied the mag release, trigger pins, and buffer stop. A Tubb flat wire spring drives the Enidine hydraulic cyclic reducer. All this is topped off with a PACT SR Gold trigger, the finest I have ever encountered in the AR world. Fulton Armory came through with an affordable, low-profile clamp-on gas block for the .936" barrel I'd ordered. I decided that the Bennie Cooley tactical muzzle brake was a good choice for muzzle rise and recoil reduction, and ordered one promptly. A fellow from another forum offered up an OD Green Magpul PRS in the AR-10 style. Even though I wanted a black one, it was a price I couldn't refuse, so I bought it anyways and Krylon came through with the flat black I'd wanted. After getting tired of waiting for SI Defense and Lothar Walther to come through, I ordered a Douglas barrel from Fulton Armory with a matched bolt, and had Young Manufacturing ship me one of their excellent chromed bolt carrier. I also opted for a CAA UPG 16 grip to complete the build. The result is as you see it in the picture. When I got my rifle built, I had Mr. Dave Tooley time my muzzle brake onto the barrel for me, and I'm very satisfied that the rifle is a top-quality build.

Build specs from stem to stern:
Magpul PRS - OD Green but Kryloned flat black, has picatinny monopod
Tubbs Flat Wound buffer spring
Enidine Hydraulic recoil buffer
Mega Arms Monolithic .308 matched receiver
DPMS Lower Parts Kit
PACT SR Gold AR fire control group
Young Manufacturing Chromed bolt carrier
Fulton Armory Bolt matched to an 18.5" Douglas barrel, .308, 1:10 twist, 9.36GB
Magpul Rail Covers
Harris Bipod on Larue QD bipod mount
Fulton Armory low profile gas block & rifle length gas tube, .936 gas block
Bennie Cooley tactical compensator, turned to .930 and timed by Dave Cooley
SWFA AR 30mm optics mount
NightForce Placeholder optics 10-40x50, Red/Green lit Mil-Dot reticle

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

[img:left]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/DSC00020.jpg[/img]
[img:left]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/DSC00019.jpg[/img]
[img:left]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/DSC00018.jpg[/img]
[img:left]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/DSC00016.jpg[/img]
[img:left]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/DSC00015.jpg[/img]
[img:left]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/DSC00021.jpg[/img]
[img:left]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/DSC00022.jpg[/img]

Hope you enjoyed it, happy shooting!

Re: Mega MA Ten Monolithic build

Matt,
This all looks great. Not that my opinion matters much as a total newbie to rifles, but I wanted to express myself positively.

I've been communicating with Dave about a possible MA Ten build for myself. So, when members like you post results and your detailed build specs, process, and results it is a huge help to starters like me.

Thank you for sharing. Perhaps someday we could get together depending on your location in NC.

Thanks for your comments. This is my first build that I actually completely assembled rather than modifying an off the shelf gun, so I'm no expert, but it was great fun. I'll send you a PM about my location.

Matt, just like you I went with Dave on the GB and couldn't be happier. Dave is a stand up guy that was more then willing to help with specs. Hell we even BSed for a while. Great guy with aswesome CS and will deal with him in the future and suggest him as well.

Michael, here's my post as well showing how I speced mine out, (Matt sorry for the high jack-just wanting to let others know options)
http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2780045&gonew=1#UNREAD

Matt, have you been tracking on the possible 18 in bbl/rifle length gas problems? Have you had any yourself? I went 18/mid so hopefully won't have any problems myself. I haven't been able to shoot mine yet, gotta love college, but this Tuesday or Wednesday I'll take mine out.

Mine is weighing in at about 14.5 lbs empty, what's yours weighing?

Matt,
Wow, thats a great looking rifle you have there. If you don't mind me asking. How much does it cost to put all that together. I was thinking of building something similar to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where'd you get the douglas barrel? </div></div>

Fulton Armory sells them. I like buying from Fulton Armory because they will assemble your gas block and match a bolt for you before shipping your stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Matt, have you been tracking on the possible 18 in bbl/rifle length gas problems? Have you had any yourself? I went 18/mid so hopefully won't have any problems myself. I haven't been able to shoot mine yet, gotta love college, but this Tuesday or Wednesday I'll take mine out.

Mine is weighing in at about 14.5 lbs empty, what's yours weighing?</div></div>

I haven't weighed it yet, but I'm guessing it hefts @ 11-12. The PRS and the bipod probably account for quite a bit of that. That barrel uses the rifle-length gas system, so I don't anticipate any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Feel-da-fury</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt,
Wow, thats a great looking rifle you have there. If you don't mind me asking. How much does it cost to put all that together. I was thinking of building something similar to that.</div></div>

I don't mind your asking but I can't disclose the cost of the reciever set publicly, as a courtesy to Dave Branson. I can tell you that I managed to build all of what you see for just shy of $2000, and I didn't get very many components @ discount.

Well, today was range day, and I found out that the MA TEN Monolithic doesn't like the Young Mfg bolt carrier too well. I swapped a DPMS bolt carrier into it and it ran like a top! So I'm going to be ordering a Fulton Armory chromed bolt carrier to put in it, unless my SI Defense coated carrier comes in first.

Those Mega Mono's are the sweetest thing going.
I have two AR 15's and a MA TEN.
Love the stuff.
PS ... some of the stuff I too got from Dave's group buy ~ I hope there is another soon.

Nice looking rifle there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those Mega Mono's are the sweetest thing going.
I have two AR 15's and a MA TEN.
Love the stuff.
PS ... some of the stuff I too got from Dave's group buy ~ I hope there is another soon.

Nice looking rifle there. </div></div>

Thank you. This one shoots so impressively that I'm already hitting Dave up for another monolithic receiver. This build will stay as is and the original build I wanted will be built.

I just thought I'd update this thread, I shipped my bolt carrier off to Young Mfg last monday, and they had it back to me by friday of last week. It's fixed and shooting great!

I'm getting ready to build something very similar... Using the mono upper and lower...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting ready to build something very similar... Using the mono upper and lower... </div></div>

Sounds good! What are you planning to put in your build, and what is it's intended use?

I will be using it as a Law Enforcement SWS in my classes. I'm trying to keep the build logical, and simple to reproduce. My thought process on using the mono upper, is the ability to load the bipods like a bolt gun, with no torque transmitted into the barrel nut. I have not decided on the barrel just yet... I'm torn between an 18 inch with a mid length gas system, or a 20 inch rifle length. I'm considering a Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrel / bolt carrier... Jury is still out.

Trigger will be a Geissele SD-E.
Glass is a USO SN3 3.2-17 TPAL

I just spoke with Richard at Fulton Armory. He said they don't do Douglas barrels in .308 but are looking at using Krieger barrels in the future. He and I discussed their medium contour stainless 18.5" with rifle length gas system. I'm still shopping...

UPDATE:

Ok, I spoke with Rainier Arms today as well. They do an Ultra Match Barrel made on a Shilen blank, but they are out of stock at the moment, and they do not know when they will get them in. I emailed White Oak, and John wrote back to me... stating that they do them in lots of five. I only need one.

So, I called Frank at Compass Lake, and talked to his wife... I'm waiting on a phone call from him to talk about a barrel. I'm also checking with SI Defense...

Bottom line, I want to use this rifle as a Police SWS, and see how it stacks up against my PWS MK214... or vice versa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just spoke with Richard at Fulton Armory. He said they don't do Douglas barrels in .308 but are looking at using Krieger barrels in the future. He and I discussed their medium contour stainless 18.5" with rifle length gas system. I'm still shopping...

UPDATE:

Ok, I spoke with Rainier Arms today as well. They do an Ultra Match Barrel made on a Shilen blank, but they are out of stock at the moment, and they do not know when they will get them in. I emailed White Oak, and John wrote back to me... stating that they do them in lots of five. I only need one.

So, I called Frank at Compass Lake, and talked to his wife... I'm waiting on a phone call from him to talk about a barrel. I'm also checking with SI Defense...

Bottom line, I want to use this rifle as a Police SWS, and see how it stacks up against my PWS MK214... or vice versa. </div></div>

I didn't realize Fulton's barrels weren't on the Douglas blank, it would be interesting to know who actually makes their .308 barrels. You can also get .308 AR profiles from Lothar Walther if you're interested, but you might have a lengthy wait if they don't have pre-made blanks.

I've never dealt with FA before but found that when I called and spoke with Richard, he was very helpful and knowledgeable. I only repeated what he told me about the Douglas blanks. He did say that they would be using Krieger blanks in the future.

I spoke with Frank at Compass Lake... I will be visiting him soon to spec a barrel with him. He's here in Florida, so I will work with him to build a barrel for me.

Can't wait to get this build started!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never dealt with FA before but found that when I called and spoke with Richard, he was very helpful and knowledgeable. I only repeated what he told me about the Douglas blanks. He did say that they would be using Krieger blanks in the future.

I spoke with Frank at Compass Lake... I will be visiting him soon to spec a barrel with him. He's here in Florida, so I will work with him to build a barrel for me.

Can't wait to get this build started!</div></div>

I'll bet! Good luck man, I hope everything goes really well for you. Be sure to update this thread when you have some pictures of your build, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Roger that Brother. Will do...