• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Mega Maten bolt stop

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
I have a Mega Arms Maten in 308 that I built years ago. Gun has around 300 or so rounds through it. I've broken the original bolt stop and bought a replacement. Haven't shot it much after that but recently got it back out and switched from shooting 175smk to 168smk so I needed to adjust my gas block. I noticed it wouldn't lock open on last round. I saw that the there was a dent/chip in the bolt lug that is supposed to catch on the bolt stop. It's allowing the bolt to ramp over the bolt stop. It wouldn't even lock open manually by me pulling charging handle and holding bolt stop, as soon as I let go of bolt stop, it would go forward.

I contacted the bolt manufacturer, Rubber City Armory, and they warrantied the bcg. With new bolt it now locks open.

Now I'm curious if I have the correct 308 bolt stop. When the bolt stop is up stopping the bolt, it barely covers the bolt lugs. I purchased and installed a Strike Industries bolt stop and it extends up covering more of the bolt face. However the ambi-bolt release does not function, which is not a big deal for me.

Anyone have a pic of how much or how high up a LR308 bolt stop should cover the bolt face or lugs when holding it open?

Attachments

• 20240511_102341.jpg
    20240511_102341.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240516_204812.jpg
    20240516_204812.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 20
Make sure the bolt stop covers a good chunk of the bolt lugs when the bolt is locked open. That should help with reliable lockback.

Give the bolt a test to see if it locks back reliably when the magazine is empty.

Check that the bolt stop keeps the bolt from moving forward when it's engaged.