• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mega MATEN thoughts

Hogshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2003
Powhatan, Va
I have been looking for a 7.62 gas gun for a while and ran across this one locally. I have not heard a lot regarding them as far as accuracy and function are concerned. This one was built by the owner after purchasing the upper and lower receivers from Mega using the below listed components. He has put less than 200 rds. thru the rifle. Any feedback or experience is appreciated. He is asking $1900 for the rifle.

Mega Receivers
Rainier Arms 18" Select Barrel w/ pinned RA gas block
Chrome DPMS BCG
BCM Gunfighter CH
PRI QC brake
Magpul UBR stock
Slash Heavy buffer & spring
Palmetto Lower parts
Geiselle SSA-E trigger
LaRue Apeg grip
Apex Handguard w/ top rail

Re: Mega MATEN thoughts

I've got a Mega MA-Ten receiver build.
Components are pretty similar to what you have listed there. Accuracy will depend on the component particulars, and importantly how it was put together.

Sounds good to me, but shame on him for not doing Rainier Ultra Match instead of Select.... I would go for it with the idea of re barreling later but maybe offer a little less. Mega receivers top shelf!! Overall quality parts list.

Mega doesn't build rifles (to the best of my knowledge). they just make the parts, YOU build the rifle. or i guess you could have a 'smith build one.

other than the Apex handguard, i like the way this one sounds! i'm not a fan of heavy HGs on my rifles, they can add too much forward weight.

NoFail is right though, why didn't the previous owner use an Ultra Match barrel?! i suppose, there is a bit of difference in cost, but if saving money was the goal, he could have built a DPMS

as far as cost? $1900 sounds pretty decent. i mean, you could probably build one for about $1-200 more, but this one is already done
wink.gif
i've seen them for as low as $1600 locally, but that's not frequently!

For that much money I would build it myself and upgragde the barrel but that is just me.

I have a Maten with a 24 in Rainer Ultra Match it is nice.

Still trying to find the ammo it likes.