• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors melonite a suppressor

Shortdraw

Alaskan Guide
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Kodiak, Alaska
Has anyone tried it? I have a QD YHM Phantom that is one of the older ones in carbon steel. I literally live in a temperate rainforest and corrosion is a big issue. Melonite treatment was reccomended to me for it's resistence to rust but I am unsure if it has been done or is safe for a suppresor. I tried using the search function but am getting no feedback. Anyone?

Re: melonite a suppressor

I can't think of an answer I'd trust more than from the OEM.

I'd give the manufacturer a call to ask about the Melonite or to describe the problem and see what alternative they recommend.

YHM said they don't reccomend anything as a treatment or any coatings. I told them I am having rust issues despite oiling the piss out of that thing before and after every use. They didn't offer any help other than telling me to keep a light coat of oil on it.

We tried a few nitriding processes like melonite a few years ago. With a sealed/non take apart suppressor, the problem you encounter is the inability to completely flush the salts from the interior. The silencer will come out looking great. A week later, the salts crystalize and your silencer looks like a limestone cave. We tried a number of processes to neutralize and flush the salts. At the time, nothing really worked.

Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
[email protected]

Thanks for the reply, Mike. Aren't the salts used water soluble? Maybe you could send me a good suppressor for corrosion testing!

An all-stainless or all-Ti silencer should offer enough corrosion resistance for 99.9% of applications. Our greatest interest in the nitriding was that it provided a dull, dark grey finish that would not burn off like paint. Another issue to consider is that nitriding some stainless alloys makes them <span style="font-style: italic">less</span> corrosion resistant than they were in the white.

Mike beat me to it....

I would leave the can as is and just enjoy shooting with it. If the finish bothers you Cerakote or Duracoat offer some high heat colors that are VERY durable.

I think this one will get the cerakote treatment. My next can will be TI for sure both for weight and for it's anti rust properties. Thanks for the insight guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this one will get the cerakote treatment. My next can will be TI for sure both for weight and for it's anti rust properties. Thanks for the insight guys. </div></div>

Well done. My favorite silencer finish is no finish at all. I find the appearance of bead blasted Ti or stainless very pleasing.

We melonited the Chrome moly components of M4-SD and Spartan suppressors. The benefit is increased corrosion resistance, wear resistance, and hardness of baffles, and also a black color.

We didn't have issues because our suppressors were parts when melonited so there were no salts inside the suppressors.

We did also melonite an early Spartan first generation can as a test part (welded 304L SS) and it turned black, with some areas appearing to rust. We couldn't get the red areas to wash off. We scrapped the idea there.
-----------------------------------------------

As far as actual advice, I would say don't bother. Chrome moly steel is actually pretty corrosion resistant. If you are having issues with rust I would suggest something like grill paint on the exterior to keep the air from being able to touch the suppressor.

That reduces areas that must be treated with oil to the inside, threads, and thread shoulder on the exterior.

Chrome moly has a benefit in that it is extremely strong, so even after significant corrosion has occurred the suppressor will be fit for the task.

In Europe even where suppressors like BR Tuote have very thin like .030" wall thickness, they give reasonable service lifespans- 7500-10,000 rounds.

Maxim suppressors were also steel, and there are more than a few that remain in serviceable condition 90-100 years later.

Obviously the YHM approach seemed more like "make it to the same specs as SS" < IE .125" wall thickness. (judging from weight). I didn't design the thing, but I would be surprised if the suppressor was not capable of safe performance at 30% lighter weight than the designed weight. Barring baffle strikes, your chrome moly can will probably last more than a lifetime.