• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Melonite??

Jedi

Team AndiCapp
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2003
Mountains
Ok reason i posted here and not elsewhere, i want to hear from no shit gunsmiths, not your opinion but facts from folk who do this for a living.

Melonite good or bad?

Bad juju for button barrels, any truth to this?

Which barrel if any seems to work better with process?

Which company is more likely not to frak my barrel up?

TIA

Re: Melonite??

I don't recommend it for 416r barrels, the application temp of a salt bath treatment is higher than the annealing cycle.

S&W is using melonite on their M&P15 Sport barrels. I believe they are button rifled. I have one and see no issues so far. They use 4140 steel according to their website.
I would be guessing if I said 4140 was better than 416r.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Decoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't recommend it for 416r barrels, the application temp of a salt bath treatment is higher than the annealing cycle.</div></div>

dip temp is 1016f i belive

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&W is using melonite on their M&P15 Sport barrels. I believe they are button rifled. I have one and see no issues so far. They use 4140 steel according to their website.
I would be guessing if I said 4140 was better than 416r. </div></div>
for corrosion resistance the 416r would lose after the process, while the 4140 would win. has something to do with the 416r's chromium reaction at those temps.