• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Memoriation of your MOAs

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Does anybody try to shoot without a dope cards. I have been shooting some with my 308 at 500 to 700 yds at a 12 inch steel plate. Is the goal to learn the rifles elevation and wind moas without using outside info(Krestal, PDA,MOA card)? Sometimes I can go out and make hits on a 12inch plate without using a dope card only at certian distances.

Re: Memoriation of your MOAs

I do it with mils. I made a card and whenever I drive, I memorize my dope in 50 yard increments out to 1K. Also, you can count the yardage on your knuckles. Use the knuckle for 100 yd increments and the spaces in between for 50 yard increments.

I have going to where I shoot and leaving all data and instrusments besides a range finder behind. I'am finding that most of the time on a light wind day 5 to 10 I have been making first round hits 50 to 60% percent of the time. I thought it was interesting the more you are shooting the bullet paths from some rifles are close. I have shot my 260 alot in the last 4 months. When I pick up my 308 I just figure at 500 yds it would be around 9 moa. Sometimes I make a miss but the correction is usually a small adjustment. I think I will start doing the studing while I drive to. I drive a couple of hours a day. That would be a good time to do this.

Don't know about dope cards but I do use a score (date) book for my highpower/1000 yard shooting).

Before I go to a match, I study my score books, paying attenting to the results I had at that range, compairing data on conditions and weather with what is expected at todays shoot.

I also use the score book to check on changes of ammo and loading components.

Yeah I thinkg score/date books are pretty important.

i'm not one to go pissing away ammo....and i want to make first round hits on whatever and where ever i decide.....if its sea-level or in the mountains.....angle down or angle up....in a X-wind or rain.......so..............something like DTAC cards or some easy-to-use ballistic computer is the way i roll

i'm just sayin...

I have to have a dope card on me. I have most of the elevations set to memory, but the wind and lead (for movers) is what I need. I guess you could figure it out if you memorized each factor to figure wind and lead, but during the speed and complexity of a match, I rely on the cheat sheet.
I also make a new card each time I shoot depending on where I am shooting. I factor in the elevation, temp, etc ahead of time.

Chad

If I was going to a match by all means would have a cheat sheet or a PDA. There is more calcuations to relay on. The general shooting in the field memorization would make you a little more fimilar with how your gun and you perform. It might even add some more confidence to your shooting. Matches it would seem to be in a different catergory.

Mistakes = misses.

Unless I am using a BDC turret that I have verified (like the Unertl 10x/MST-100) then I use a table for my come-ups. Pretty soon I am going to scribble one down and stick it in my scope cap.

I verify my ballistics calculator against field data and correct BC/MV so that they are rectified.
I pretty much always have my phone, that's why I opted for a Palm Centro on my last Verizon upgrade. I'm too broke to bother with paying for internet and email for the phone, but the free PSSF program for palm runs as well as all my paid for ballistics programs, and I've also uploaded my real dope sheets as pdf's to the phone.
Leica LRF, phone and rifle and I'm good to go.

There's an idiot proof range card tied to my scope ring with paracord for when all else fails. Been trying to memorize my dope, but that seems an even more perishable skill than my firing ability.........

I had USO make me a BDC for my scope from my dope, and went back to a reglar turret as its easier to use for multiple shots at irregular distances (ie-632yds at 18* incline, 483 at flat then 540 at 12*)15.75,10.5,12.5-bang, bang, bang.

The phone thing would work great. Field data and ballistics once figured out.
I have been shooting a few times without on card. When I miss the steel. It only takes a second or two to make the correct adjustments. It is kinda like miss juding the wind. Knowing the proper MOA corrections for the hit. I try to study more in the field if I miss/ what I had to do to correct the error and make a mental note of that. Then the next time shooting I try to apply what I have learned from my experience last time. I also set up 2 different targets at different ranges anywhere from 500 to 800yds. The 308 is a great caliber to try this with. Sometimes I will try the same methods with a 260 and a 243.

I think the memorization of the MOAs helps in confidence in the first round hits apply with time under the trigger. When you set up to shoot. Try to dial your scope before you actually look at your cheat sheet. Pay attention to what you had to correct and distance. In a match where it is a set distance and you are looking maybe a more calcuations I would use a PDA.