• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mental Health/ Resetting

NFAJohn

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
East Bernard, Texas
In light of the recent Mental Health Crisis that unfolded in ye ol Bear Pit it got me thinking about what I do to reset/ not go insane. I work my ass off managing projects for a large pipeline company, wife is a Neurologist, we have two little kids ect ect, shit gets hectic.

When my wife and I bought our place in the country I dug about an acre pond, the construction, stocking and managing the fish population to grow big bass has become one of my primary ways to reset. It's like an aquarium on steroids, but it's not frowned upon to eat the fish. It's 100' from the back door, just 20-30 mins here and there is instant reset.
1699627620308.png
1699627693567.png

What's your reset method?

Well, THAT particular case has seemed to always have been a bit unstable, with latent issues going way back... Some members have said they knew him since he was participating in PRS as a teenager and said he's had a bit of an anger problem. It's like video games. Doing something is supposed to bring you fulfillment, healthy entertainment, and peace of mind. If you cannot participate on the rifle line without getting unhealthily triggered by performance and scores, just like if you cannot play a round of COD without getting butthurt at being beaten, it is time to lay down the rifle or the controller and go take a walk or meet up with friends at your local coffee shop, or something, until you recovered your state of mind enough to realize that there is no need to get triggered over things that we ALL have to face over the course of life: Challenges, competition, etc. Applies to EVERYTHING. We've seen videos of corporate leaders not being able to take some heat and going into utterly embarrassing meltdowns in the office.

In light of the recent Mental Health Crisis that unfolded in ye ol Bear Pit it got me thinking about what I do to reset/ not go insane. I work my ass off managing projects for a large pipeline company, wife is a Neurologist, we have two little kids ect ect, shit gets hectic.

When my wife and I bought our place in the country I dug about an acre pond, the construction, stocking and managing the fish population to grow big bass has become one of my primary ways to reset. It's like an aquarium on steroids, but it's not frowned upon to eat the fish. It's 100' from the back door, just 20-30 mins here and there is instant reset.
View attachment 8268796View attachment 8268798

What's your reset method?
Not sure which mental health crisis your speaking of but I sure wish I could grow King Salmon and Mahi 100' form the back door. Hard to find decent fish in SW Oklahoma.

Being mostly a loner, I enjoy getting away to shoot, and the occasional class to meet up with others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronws
I have two ways. First is spending time with my girl friend…..Anna Eleise. She’s a beaut. Fast t00, especially when well handled in light air. In fact, in a light breeze, she can out run the wrath of GOD. Little Anna, she is a favorite of Brenda as well.

Our little Anna.

FEC96BC8-DC2D-4C99-B9CC-580787C76C13.jpeg

Second and possibly not appropriate, Knocking down steel. Worked best when the I was managing the old Dugdemona range. We had a full set up of handgun silhouette targets as well as swingers. Taking out those rams with an XP100 at 200 meters was very satisfying.

One particularly bad day while out shooting, enough bullets passed through an old shot up silhouuette to chop down a small pine tree growing on the berm. I got so tickled, I forgot all about my problems. Still have the part of that tree trunk that the bullets passed through.

I was listening to a guitar solo by Dave Gilmore and it made me think of your post. While I've sold off most of my audiophile grade gear because of hearing loss, the music can still take to a place of peace, where at least for a few minutes, the world and the evil therein just fade away. @sirhrmechanic will like this one.

I was listening to a guitar solo by Dave Gilmore and it made me think of your post. While I've sold off most of my audiophile grade gear because of hearing loss, the music can still take to a place of peace, where at least for a few minutes, the world and the evil therein just fade away. @sirhrmechanic will like this one.

Ya the air pods usually accompany me when I’m working on the pond or fishing by myself.

Reactions: xsn10s
Not sure which mental health crisis your speaking of but I sure wish I could grow King Salmon and Mahi 100' form the back door. Hard to find decent fish in SW Oklahoma.

Being mostly a loner, I enjoy getting away to shoot, and the occasional class to meet up with others.
Your looking for the wrong fish in them thar woods. Head out by Ft. Smith and there is a pretty dang good catfish joint on the river.

Your looking for the wrong fish in them thar woods. Head out by Ft. Smith and there is a pretty dang good catfish joint on the river.
Ya, I know. Catfish is OK, but there's nothing quite like a piece of properly cooked King Salmon. Especially if youre in the PNW while their running and get it the same day its caught. There used to be a little joint up in 'King Salmon, California' that went down to the dock every day when the boats came in and bring it straight to the restaurant, so youre getting fish only hours old.

Or the little place down in San Diego that gets the Mahi off the boat. If youre in the area try 'Blue Water'. Its down by the airport and USMC base.

Or down in Corpus having fresh Red snapper.

Great ranges up here though(y)😁 and you dont have to go to Ca.

My favorite at the moment, PRS DGT...
I dont recognize the DGT?

I forget the exact year, 85, maybe, I had a Custom Whale Blue one piece 10 Top with the birds. Really sweet axe but it got ripped off in a home burglary. So did the Harry Kolbe modded Marshal and a really sweet 63 Fender Black Face Super Reverb. Broke my heart and I never bought another one. fortunately, the insurance treated me right and I got a good settlement.

Reactions: charbroiled

Interesting he went back there, because Pink Floyd did a live recording/music film at Pompeii in the 1970's. I still don't have the 'album' or tracks but I have heard it is is quite remarkable.

Yes, Pink Floyd is relaxing for sure!

But not as relaxing as cuttting chips or making sawdust. Or putting holes in holes...

But everyone's relaxation is different!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: mtrmn

ODWC is in the middle of their restocking period of Medicine Creek with rainbows and browns. There's good fish just up the road from you.

Reactions: Maggot
Interesting he went back there, because Pink Floyd did a live recording/music film at Pompeii in the 1970's. I still don't have the 'album' or tracks but I have heard it is is quite remarkable.

Yes, Pink Floyd is relaxing for sure!

But not as relaxing as cuttting chips or making sawdust. Or putting holes in holes...

But everyone's relaxation is different!

Cheers,

Sirhr
"Maben closed all the entrances to the amphitheatre, but a few children managed to sneak in and were allowed to watch the filming quietly from a distance.[7]"

Imagine having been on of those kids, and the stories you could tell 50 years later.

Reactions: charbroiled
ODWC is in the middle of their restocking period of Medicine Creek with rainbows and browns. There's good fish just up the road from you.
May have to go drop a line....Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Jonny_
Biggest improvement for my mental healt was getting the fuck out of the city. Now, we do Jeep shit in the pretty part of Iowa that we won from Wisconsin in the Great hills battle of 1836. We do motorcycle stuff and fixing shitboxes also.
20231029_172851.jpg

20231027_180846.jpg

Truth be told I've been leading the charge for my brothers so we all fix our mental health and lead by example for all my nephews and nieces.

Right on bro!
Biggest improvement for my mental healt was getting the fuck out of the city. Now, we do Jeep shit in the pretty part of Iowa that we won from Wisconsin in the Great hills battle of 1836. We do motorcycle stuff and fixing shitboxes also.
View attachment 8269220

View attachment 8269223

Truth be told I've been leading the charge for my brothers so we all fix our mental health and lead by example for all my nephews and nieces.

Reactions: Romeo458
Absolutely zero. I have been working crazy. It has been 4 years since my last vacation. Till about two years ago i used to work out 5 times a week to reset and gave that away too. Funny this thread, i was thinking about this subject on my morning drive to work. Because it is catching up to me already.

Absolutely zero. I have been working crazy. It has been 4 years since my last vacation. Till about two years ago i used to work out 5 times a week to reset and gave that away too. Funny this thread, i was thinking about this subject on my morning drive to work. Because it is catching up to me already.
I got caught up in work about 20 years ago. My wife went through breast cancer and survived at age 40. Then my dad died of pancreatic cancer at age 65. That really had an impact on my outlook on life.
Do yourself a favor. Don’t wait for things like that in your life to make changes.

Started the day on the ground with a big Iowa 8 and ended the day watching another shooter run does. Didn’t get to shoot either but that’s why I love bow hunting (takes 100 things to go right)

Attachments

• IMG_1401.jpeg
    IMG_1401.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1412.jpeg
    IMG_1412.jpeg
    750.4 KB · Views: 37
I got caught up in work about 20 years ago. My wife went through breast cancer and survived at age 40. Then my dad died of pancreatic cancer at age 65. That really had an impact on my outlook on life.
Do yourself a favor. Don’t wait for things like that in your life to make changes.
Yep, it'll be there tomorrow and if if isnt I didnt need it anyway.

Go and reset bro, you won’t even be cold yet when they’re looking for your replacement on indeed. Few weeks back the wife and I took a trip, had been since our honeymoon in ‘15 that we honestly checked the fuck out and did our thing. Used United Miles to book the flights and rooms….came back with a slightly different perspective, we work too hard to not enjoy some free time. Scheduled a long weekend block 6 months from now for another trip

Reactions: xsn10s and Maggot