• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mental Training

Leaddog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2009
Delaware
In addition to a good diet and exercise... what mental training and/or conditioning do you bring to the front sight?

Re: Mental Training

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition to a good diet and exercise... what mental training and/or conditioning do you bring to the front sight?</div></div>

Law School. I guess I'm screwed....
cry.gif

A great book to read is <span style="text-decoration: underline">The Unthinkable</span> by Amanda Ripley. It is a study of disasters and how people react to them. Really interesting stuff, it gave me more insight on how training and mental preparedness need to overlap.

Training in security and emergency management. Doesn't help me shoot better, but sure has come in handy a few other times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Training in security and emergency management. Doesn't help me shoot better, but sure has come in handy a few other times. </div></div>

Obviously you didn't read the book. The book goes into detail about how training works well in certain instances and how it fails in others. One thing I took from this book and use it in the classes I teach is the term "Task Saturation". For instance in the book they talk about a plane simply falling out of the sky because the crew was focused on one specific task or alarm and failed to notice they lost altitude. It is a situational awareness issue but discussing task saturation takes it one step further. I see it a lot with students dealing with a new malfunction or one they are not familiar with or a new student thinking they have a grasp on room clearing and then freeze up when dealing with multiple danger areas.

If you are serious about training don't get caught up in thinking that everything has to do with pressing a trigger.

Fair enough, I was thinking about other aspects of the job when I posted that, but you've got a point. I don't shoot for a living so I was thinking purely in a hobby sense. I see how that could be a huge issue for those who do, and it is a big problem for us on the management side as well but in different ways.