• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Meopta Optika6 -Hands On....Good/Bad?

tactic-als

Jawa Reaper
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
PA
I'm debating the Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 FFP rifle scope. I've watched some online reviews that appear very favorable. I asked someone else who is in "the know" and he said Meopta as a company has underwhelmed them (spotty QC) but they have no experience with this particular scope. Also, said that the list of features for $700 makes him suspicious....???

If you've owned one of the Optika6 FFP scopes, please chime in.

If not this scope, here's a list of requirements I have.....feel free to make suggestions.

1. around the 3-18x power....would consider 3-15x or 4-16x as well.
2. 30mm tube, already have a mount and would love to be able to use it and not buy another mount. I know that's kind of a shame knowing the other great 34mm/35mm tube options, but it is what it is.
3. Illuminated MIL reticle (NO BDC reticles)....preferably something with a floating dot in the center.
4. Just because I know people will ask, it's going on an AR-10 w/18" barrel.

Thanks for your help!!!

Reactions: bman940
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

I own the Optica6, 3-18x50 FFP, MRAD1, and it was a bargain for what I paid at dvor.com. The Glass is clear, tracks well, and has held up. I don't compete, so it's not as many thousands of rounds of 6.5CM. That being said, I would never pay full retail for this scope. Find a deal and i think you'll be happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: wprude
I owned a 4-27 and now I own the 5-30x both are nice scopes for the money
I had a strike eagle 5-25, meopta 5-30, Arken ep5, Arken sh4 and a DMR2 out today.
In order of glass quality
1 Meopta hands down
2 DMR2
3 strike eagle
4 Arken ep5
5 Arken sh4
The DMR2 beat the strike eagle only because the eye box is slightly more forgiving, the strike eagle might have a little better clarity not by much.
But the meopta just left the pack I was surprised how nice it was really.

Last edited:
for the 700 dollars your saying it's going to cost why not just skip over the 4x18 and go 5x25 there are video's showcasing the view from that arken and it's cheaper price , more mag ,
a video look at the glass

best of luck on which ever or whatever you decide to do .

@koshkin might chime in.
He favored the other mag ranges for certain reasons, but the overall package of the 3-18 is a nice scope.

for the 700 dollars your saying it's going to cost why not just skip over the 4x18 and go 5x25 there are video's showcasing the view from that arken and it's cheaper price , more mag ,
a video look at the glass

best of luck on which ever or whatever you decide to do .

From what I seen today, I can’t recommend the ep5 over the strike eagle. Glass is probably about the same but the eye box is very tight in the Arken, you can’t move your head very much and things get blurry and CA gets pretty bad. It’s just about unusable at max power where the SE didn’t have that problem at all. It out performed the Arken today with my two samples. The meopta isn’t even in the same class as those two, it was leaps and bounds better in every way, mine is the 5-30 I can only imagine that the 3-18 would be even better with eye box, and edge to edge clarity. The Arken causes eye fatigue pretty quickly at max power.
The old DMR2 outperformed the Arken in every aspect. I think the Arken is a decent scope and work well for someone who’s starting out on a budget and hasn’t crossed the 1000$ threshold of optic prices. I’d pick the strike eagle first though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Earnhardt
I recently picked up a vector continental 3-18 ffp, and it is extremely nice to my eye. I was also looking at the meopta 3-18 just couldnt bring myself to pull the trigger. I picked the vector up for $600, it is fairly light weight, has decent illumination, the glass is very nice for the price, eye box is pretty forgiving, good light transmission.

I have a zco 4-20 as well and i’d say the zco while better, i dont know if it is $3,000 better. I can see my self picking up more vectors for a few other rifles.

The only thing i can not speak to is durability.

I have the 3-18x56 and 5-30x56. I don't believe I've looked through any scope in their respective price ranges that had better glass. Sharpness is simply outstanding. My criticisms would be with the 5-30: I wish Meopta had used the capped windage turret like on the 3-18 and the eye box is unforgiving between 20 and 30 power.

I have a 5-30x56 and in mine the glass is outstanding, punches well above its price point. Koshkin's reticle is nice and very easy to use.
The miss is as stated above, no capped or locking windage, but yet locking elevation go figure. Zero stop kinda over complicated but works. I think Meopta makes great optics and glass ( yes they make thier own ), they just really have no clue what the market here in the US is really after feature wise.

I have a 5-30x56 and in mine the glass is outstanding, punches well above its price point. Koshkin's reticle is nice and very easy to use.
The miss is as stated above, no capped or locking windage, but yet locking elevation go figure. Zero stop kinda over complicated but works. I think Meopta makes great optics and glass ( yes they make thier own ), they just really have no clue what the market here in the US is really after feature wise.
I went with Burris rings with 20 moa worth of inserts and a 20 moa rail it put me 4 mils from full stop on the turret. I had to pull the zero stop off of the turret but now I have almost all of the turret travel at my disposal. I agree with all that you said about the 5-30.

I've been working with Meopta for about 3 years now and I couldn't be happier with the products they bring to the consumer. I can't think of one optic they produce that doesn't give you more quality and features than you would get elsewhere for your $. The 3-18x50 is an excellent scope that works great on AR and bolt gun platforms. The 4.5-27 and 5-30 Optika6's will let you wring all the accuracy you have in your rifles and not leave you wishing you had spent more money. Reach out to Doug and tell him you're from The Hide and I'm sure he'll help you get what you want.

Reactions: Gohring65
I have the 3-18 you're looking at, a 4.5-27, 2 5-30s, and a 1-6 on my bedside rifle. Yea, you could say I'm a fan.

DVOR has decent prices, when they have them. Sport Optics always has a 16% off code, but availability is spotty. Gotta keep checking, because when they get some in, they go fast.

Midas Tac 6-24 is also great value if you’re not looking for illum. 30mm tube and I still get 22 mils of usable elevation out of a 30moa base and could get the whole 25 by going with Burris bushing rings. Great reticle, capped windage, decent elevation turret, not too heavy (26oz). Honestly inside of 600 yards I can barely tell the glass difference between my Razor Gen 2 and the Midas.

I’ve had a 3-18 optika 6 for a few months now and I’ve been very happy. I’m not much for technical reviews but it tracks as it should and the glass is excellent at its price point.
The turrets aren’t very crisp but it’s a $700 FFP scope not a $3k Zco.