• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Meopta ZD 1-4x22 ???

plong

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2010
    USA
    With all the discussion here of low-power variables I haven't heard much about the Meopta ZD 1-4 (nothing really...). I'm intrigued by what I've read elsewhere about the quality of the glass and effectiveness of the illumination in daylight. I'd really like to take a look at one in person but I haven't run across any locally.

Any here with first-hand experience?

Re: Meopta ZD 1-4x22 ???

These are great scopes with great glass for the money. The reticle is Aimpoint bright which makes it ideal for 3-gunning/action rifle. The only criticism I have is that Meopta don't offer a TMR type reticle on this scope, I would buy one immediately if they did. The reticle they offer gives you no ability for holds on moving targets or for wind. I have asked Meopta on countless occasions to consider offering a TMR type reticle, but they seem pretty blinkered about making any changes.

I am running one on a 16" 5.56, just got it in for review 2 weeks ago.

Great glass, really good...

Grue 1x, no fisheye, flat and true image

Reticle is definitely "daytime bright"

Running a 100 yard zero and XM193 I tested at 250 and 500 yards.
    At 500 yards I was holding the tip of the chevron to the bottom of an 18" plate, basically a 6 o'clock hold and was making hits.

At 250 yards I was hitting low as expected holding dead center on 12" plates./ If I bracketed the plate between the dot and the tip of the first chevron (300 yard hold) I was hitting center of plate.

It's a very slick little scope...
    If the reticle works for you I think you will like it.

Used one for a big 3-gun match on top of a 16" 7.62 LaRue OBR. It's a great scope! Daylight bright reticule that is very fast to pick up. Works great for 3-gun, good glass, good reticule, light weight. Little expensive compared to the competition especially with all the 1-6x scopes coming out just a few hundred bucks more than the ZD. Good little 1-4 if you can find it cheap

The ZD 1-4 is an excellent scope and IMO is one of the best low power variables even competing heads up against the more expensive 1-6 offerings.

Meopta makes some incredible glass...I have used several Kdots (ZD predecessor) and currently have 3 ZD's. They have all had extremely bright glass.

The Meopta reticle is one of the best in the business. They had full daytime visibility/brightness figured out long before anyone else. Also with the new ZD it is a very usable reticle that is uncluttered and centers on the target easily. If you zero the center of the dot at 50/250 then 200 is top of the dot 300 is bottom of the dot. Then each chevron runs approximately 425, 525, 625.

In my use of these scopes they have seen a fair amount of abuse and I have not experience any durability problems whatsoever.

Thanks for the feedback! The reported daylight bright illumination is what drew my attention to this scope in the first place. Good to hear its actually true. I've been disappointed by several others in that regard so I'm always skeptical when I hear that claim. I'm not sure why the the other manufacturers have such a difficult time getting that one figured out...

ccoker: I run 55grn (M193, mostly) and 62grn (M855) when I can find it at a reasonable price.

Here is a video we did on the MeOpta ZD, this scope is very nice. The MeOpta ZD has great glass, great RET, day time bright, and strong. We have them in stock.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a-38IX2frOg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike @ CST

Sorry....

55 gr Nosler BT's at 3250
    and
    75 gr Hornady BTHP at 2925

FYI the subtentions for the chevron tips are 4.5, 8, and 12 MOA respectively.

I've been shooting one on my 3 gun rifle for 2 years now and I have zero complaints about the optic. Majority of my shooting is done at 200+ and we typically have 500yard shots at our matches and I can routinely make first or second round hits with the BDC.

The glass is crystal clear and the I'm not exactly gentle with my stuff and the optic hasn't given me any problems at all

I'm shooting hornady 75gr training ammo as well and using a 100yard zero.

At 450 I'm holding bottom of a 10" plate and right on at 500 and top edge at 600.