• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mesh net to catch brass fired in yard? Anybody using one?

hollowoutadime

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
Built a home range and it's getting a lot of use. Currently brass is heading into grass. .22LR to 45acp, fired from handguns and more fun stuff, so it probably goes into a field 25' long x however wide off the centerline it ejects. Thinking of some sort of netting where I can gather it up weekly.

Other option is just to plant ornamental grass and not worry about it. (or pave it and get a broom. haha.)

Reactions: Mountain425
I got brass catchers for my pistol and ar’s , they work pretty good. Bolt guns I just pick up

They actually have a arm mounted one, not sure how good it works

do you shoot from the exact same spot every time? are you shooting off a bench? standing? You could get creative with PVC and some netting or shade cloth.
not mine but something like this.
DSCF0006.jpg

Reactions: brianf
At the range one person brought a mesh tarp. It worked great, I believe he bought it at Midway. Not sure who made it. This action range is all gravel, and the net picked up the brass in seconds.

Reactions: hollowoutadime
We use a mesh tarp, when we shoot steel challenge. The mesh allows us to move the tarp from stage to stage without taking grass, dirt etc. With us. Easy to move fold it up and drag it to the next shooting stage.

Built a home range and it's getting a lot of use. Currently brass is heading into grass. .22LR to 45acp, fired from handguns and more fun stuff, so it probably goes into a field 25' long x however wide off the centerline it ejects. Thinking of some sort of netting where I can gather it up weekly.

Other option is just to plant ornamental grass and not worry about it. (or pave it and get a broom. haha.)
Just tell your dishwasher that she is getting promoted . Certainly she can hold a sammich in one hand and catch brass with the other ?

what about something like this not sure if it would work just a thought

Don't know why but I can't post a link but search baseball net a 7' x 7' net it might work

what about something like this not sure if it would work just a thought

Don't know why but I can't post a link but search baseball net a 7' x 7' net it might work

I was thinking along those lines but know for a fact the holes are just small enough to not let a baseball pass through. brass would definitely pass through. If you could attach some kind of small mesh fishing net to it that would be the the beez knees.

I use a pitching net that golfers practice with. It mounts bench high and just to the right of the rifle rest on my mobile shooting bench. I cut the bottom of the target pocket part free and flip it over the back.
product-image-896444845_grande.jpg

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
*When* I build my range, I'll be screening in the sides to mitigate loss.

I made one of these with a cheap fishing net mounted to two pieces of round stock I welded together.

You could easily make one with a chunk of 2x4 just the same.
I did the same. My son shoots service rifle class and you don't want your brass flying over to next guy and getting mixed up. Also use this method as you cant have a brass catcher on the rifle as you have to single feed every round in SR prone.

So here's what I need to work out. That grass to the right has been mushy all spring because of the rains.
This concrete path runs back 55', I poured it so I could shoot year round (and not stand in mud).
Most shooting done 25' - 45' out. I was thinking about 1/4" galvanized hardware screen angled towards the path.

Range.jpg

This whole thing is a work in progress.

If it were me, I'd rig up a portable frame like shown in post #5. Store it in or behind the target area. Harbor freight sells camo tarps for peanuts.

I had it cut into 3 pcs, each 40"w x 60"tall. Plate was about $1,500 + $200 for fabrication. They drilled 5 - 3/4" holes per plate. 15# per sq ft, so about 250# per plate. Plate above and below is 1/4" AR500, rounds fragment off main plate, to lower plate and into the sand. I made a long box and bolted it to that. Through the box is some heavy pipe that supports it and allows it to tilt. Drilling through the 1/4" plate, even with the correct bits and drill press and cutting oil is no fun, hence had them cut and lasered out the holes in the big plate.

Rounds go into the sand, almost nothing ever comes back. That said, I have a few stations and a bench behind some 3/8" acrylic for "spectators" to stand behind. I ran a F/A Thompson SMG on it Sunday, neighbors have to be like WTF? Usually I run suppressed as we do have neighbors.

1b-jpg.7710751

Well, I went down the rabbit hole on this one. This is not easy work for a 60 y.o. fat man, but I need the exercise.
I have a dump bed Kawasaki Mule, so shoveling dirt and moving it isn't so bad.

Pipe is to drain water from under the new concrete pad. Got some 1/4" black metal screen to provide 6' x 25' of fence.

Got 4 pallets of concrete and gravel coming Friday. Going to pour in 3 sections, I have two mixers, so that part is easy.
It's all the prep (2 eves + weekend) that was labor intensive.

Range051722.jpg

224 more bags of gravel and quikrete.
Mesh netting and a leaf blower.
Kids don't like helping out in the hot sun.
Pavers were 22 cents at Menards, why not.
offthedeepend.jpg

Well this things about done, got some concrete cleanup and another acrylic panel for non shooters to relax behind. The deer ate the new arborvitaes, so while they're coming back, it's a losing proposition. The angled plates do a nice job of depositing fragments into the sand.

r1s.jpg
r2s.jpg