• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Messed up sizing

ARShooter91

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2019
    Resized 50-6arc casing without measuring my shoulder. Set back is .0014 instead of the normal .004-.005 I do with an AR. These have any use other than plinkers? Just started load development for it. Going to do a seating depth test on some 95g Berger's next.

Edit: .014 not .0014.

Last edited:
    I'm assuming you've already loaded the ammo? Or did you mean .014" and not .0014?

.0014 (I need to get your calipers) shouldn't be too much of an issue.

If the brass isn't loaded yet, I don't see any problem (assuming .0014) of sizing them again to get to your desired .004 - .005 bump.

Reactions: Simonsza1
    I'm assuming you've already loaded the ammo? Or did you mean .014" and not .0014?

.0014 (I need to get your calipers) shouldn't be too much of an issue.

If the brass isn't loaded yet, I don't see any problem (assuming .0014) of sizing them again to get to your desired .004 - .005 bump.

How would you size them to get a .005” shoulder bump when the shoulder is already .014” short?

So you are way short. It will be like shooting factory brass again. You will be ok.

Factory new Hornady is .01 short. I suppose I'll just load them with a mild charge and see how they shoot. Ring some steel and see how accurate the listed BC is on these 95s.

Reactions: diggler1833
    So you are way short. It will be like shooting factory brass again. You will be ok.

Do you think it's worth trying different seating depths to find a length it favors? Worse case I do it again with properly sized brass.

Geezo that is tight. My 308 WIN brass stretches .011" to fired length. My 300 WM .017".
    What is your jump?

I use SAAMI max chamber length and subtract SAAMI min cartridge length (bolt/base to datum) to determine maximum delta for a specific chamber. For 6ARC, that would be 1.2001" - 1.183" = 0.0171", so take your actual chamber length and subtract 0.0171 for your min safe cartridge length.