• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Metal finishing help/advice

tireys

StealthMode223
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2009
Show Me State
I have a chance to get a AR15 billet machined upper receiver that is complete except for the anodized coating and painted finish. Where and how much would it cost me to complete the process to build on this upper. I work for an aviation company and we use vendors that do anodizing process but, none that I have contacted are willing to do this because it's not an aerospace component.

Is there any hiders that do this that I can contact?

Re: Metal finishing help/advice

If I go that route then I can do an Alodine Chemical Conversion coating at work in our Alodine bath. This would burn it to protect it against corrosion. Would this and cerakote be enough to help it have a long life?

Type III hardcoat will build up between .0015" and .003" on every surface.

That means a hole that you want to finish at, say, .200" would be drilled to ~.205"...the hardcoat would then build up on the inner surfaces of the hole, decreasing its size to the desired size of .200".

What I'm getting at, is precision fit parts designed to be hard coated, REQUIRE the hardcoat.

This is what I bought. I needed an upper and this was too cheap to not take the plunge(paid less than his asking price). I'm not sure what percent is finished but, all the machine work is done. Ozark Mountain Technologies in Cuba Mo. does hard anodizing and I hope they will complete this step for me.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1101232_WTS_stipped_billet_flat_top_upper.html

If it were me, I just hardcoat anodize it and not look back. Then when it came time to put it together, I'd just fit the pins and barrel nut as needed.

for the pins--chuck in a drill press, hand drill etc. spin it with emery paper til it fit.

for the barrel nut- rod with disk at the end-slotted. I'd simply wrap paper around the disk then work the nut around the disk til it fit.

My guess is that if you get it done by a company that does firearm anodizing, you won't have an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me, I just hardcoat anodize it and not look back. Then when it came time to put it together, I'd just fit the pins and barrel nut as needed.

for the pins--chuck in a drill press, hand drill etc. spin it with emery paper til it fit.

for the barrel nut- rod with disk at the end-slotted. I'd simply wrap paper around the disk then work the nut around the disk til it fit.

My guess is that if you get it done by a company that does firearm anodizing, you won't have an issue. </div></div>

Parts GROW with hardcoat...

So pins and barrel nut will fit loose if the upper is left uncoated...not tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard that US Anodizing does good work.
While I love Cerakote ~ anodizing is a better finish.
YMMV </div></div>

Price seems reasonable. I think these guys are probably more familiar with what I am wanting also. Thanks

I have had 0 luck in getting anything done with US Anodizing as they are apparently backed up with contract work. Are there any other companies that can accommodate 1 aluminum billet receiver?