• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Metal supplier in Dallas wanted

an1913t

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2007
DFW
I've got a couple of ideas I want to try out but can't seem to find a good place to get blocks of aluminum or steel to play around in the Dallas area. Any ideas? Would prefer a place that sells surplus as opposed to paying premium new prices.

I grew up in Wichita, KS, and I guess I got spoiled as I used to go to Boeing surplus and The Yard, both of which offer a large variety of surplus metal and tooling. I've done a fair amount of googling, but just can't seem to locate a place in the area.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Metal supplier in Dallas wanted

Look in the Yellow pages for machine shops, fab shops, , or visit a light industrial park and keep your eyes peeled for metal recycling bins then ask the owner if you can buy some from him.

Around here most of the time he will sell you his scrap for whatever he sells it to the recycling yard for, and sometime free if you don't want much. Don't just start unloading the dumpster without asking, that's theft and illegal.

I get most of my "scrap" stock metal from a jig builder, and if they have anything especially of interest to me (thick plate steel or bar ends) he will usually call me and let me know it's out there.

I have never found a scrap metal resaler that was worth dealing with, and have had the best luck with privately owned small businesses.

When I lived in the Dallas area ( pre 1997) in got steel from Eagle Steel south of Dallas on either I-35 or I-45. Cannot remember for sure now.

Depending on what you are looking for, they sold their "drop" by the pound. It was new stock, but sold just like scrap. I don't know if they still do.

Last week I bought 5 pieces of 1" plate that had been cut into 18" diameter circles and some 3/4" plate that was 15" by 72". All new, all drop and paid .12 per pound. I cannot imagine that the price in Dallas would be that much different, but I would be happy to look at the steel yard here if there is something specific that you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you looking for round stock or flat stock</div></div>

Primarily flat stock (at least for the current projects I'm thinking about).

Look in the yellow pages under recycling. Find the ones that handle metals, call and ask if they will sell to the public. A lot of scrap dealers have areas set aside for resale material. It might take a few phone calls but you should be able to find a source of materials.