• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mexican match

XP1K

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2017
Texas
Contemplating trying my hand at some Mexican match 5.56

I've got a bunch of the Winchester greentip stuff from academy because that's all you could get for a while, but I've got a few hornady 68gr bthp and some 69gr smk's laying around also.

Anybody tried this before?
What all is involved?
should I dump the charge and pull the decapping pin out of my die to tighten up the neck or just seat another bullet on it ?

Sometimes this works out and sometimes it doesn't.

Some of this depends on how close to Mil-Spec that WIN M855 really is... for example, crimped and sealed necks?

If those are made to Mil-Specs, they would have sealant in the necks as well as a crimp. Both of those features are things you will need to address if you prep that brass after pulling the bullet. Getting a decent performance when you come back on top of sealant residue is the issue. Cleaning that residue with a primer in place is an issue too.

If the necks are just crimped and not sealed, it is less risky. I would guess that for my time, if you care about using 68 or 69 SMK for accuracy, you are probably better off running other brass. If you are just making blasting ammo, then go for it.

Trying to make the best of what I've got.

Didn't know about a sealant. I can see how that might be an issue.

Trying to make the best of what I've got.

Didn't know about a sealant. I can see how that might be an issue.
Just depends on how true to spec they made them as to what condition to expect those necks to be in when you pull the bullet.

Reactions: XP1K
Contemplating trying my hand at some Mexican match 5.56

I've got a bunch of the Winchester greentip stuff from academy because that's all you could get for a while, but I've got a few hornady 68gr bthp and some 69gr smk's laying around also.

Anybody tried this before?
What all is involved?
should I dump the charge and pull the decapping pin out of my die to tighten up the neck or just seat another bullet on it ?

You need to buy a collet type bullet puller if you've got a single stage press.

I've used an RCBS .22 cal to pull 75 TMJs on .224 Valkyrie. But JP said it would work and it does. No, you don't screw with anything else, you pull the bullet and you just seat a new bullet.

One thing you have to be aware of is that you can stretch the shoulder and neck. I've run into this issue with primed cases that are LC pulldowns in 7.62. If you have a case that doesn't chamber, don't force it.

For safety you might want to just try replacing the bullet with a better 62 or even 52/53/55 bullet. You're not going up much in weight but you need to see how much bullet you're adding to the case and I'd expect a pressure increase.

You need to buy a collet type bullet puller if you've got a single stage press.

I've used an RCBS .22 cal to pull 75 TMJs on .224 Valkyrie. But JP said it would work and it does. No, you don't screw with anything else, you pull the bullet and you just seat a new bullet.

One thing you have to be aware of is that you can stretch the shoulder and neck. I've run into this issue with primed cases that are LC pulldowns in 7.62. If you have a case that doesn't chamber, don't force it.

For safety you might want to just try replacing the bullet with a better 62 or even 52/53/55 bullet. You're not going up much in weight but you need to see how much bullet you're adding to the case and I'd expect a pressure increase.
I have an rcbs puller like the one you linked. Also have the hornady.

I have all the bullet weights you mentioned plus some 64gr power points somewhere. I planned on starting out slow.

Reactions: Mike_in_FL
Try seating the bullet very slightly deeper into the case to break the hold of the sealant. Pull as stated about.
Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: XP1K