• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MG Purchase on Form 4, Fingerprint question?

hollowoutadime

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
I've always purchased cans from a dealer. This is a little different. If I buy an MG from an individual on a form 4 (in my state), besides filling out the form 4 and $200, what gets mailed to the ATF with regards to fingerprint cards?

It won't be in a trust, do I go to a LEO and get ink fingerprint cards and stamp them in his presence?

It is possible to buy the FD-258 cards and print yourself. Lots of confusing information online though. Start by reading this.

Reactions: BurtGummer
DIY fingerprinting can be a little tricky. Make sure you have plenty of spare cards. I ordered mine directly from the ATF. They actually mail out pretty quickly. I got my ink pad from Amazon.

You can also have your local sheriff do it. We could never get my wife’s prints to work out so we just had hers done at the sheriffs dept for a couple bucks.

I get my prints taken at the local sheriff's office, on FD-258 cards that I supply. Can they be done at home? Sure, but this doesn't seem like the right place to be saving $8.

In Alaska, I have used private companies who do cards for teachers and other professions that require background checks. They do the electronic scanning of fingerprints instead of ink based ones. For my last few suppressors I have utilized SilencerShop kiosks.

Reactions: BurtGummer
ive done fingerprints for my last 3 stamps myself...never had any issues...even some slightly dodgy looking prints were accepted no issues.

honestly, i suspect the ATF doesn't actually do anything with the prints, im guessing they go into a file somewhere to sit.

I know a guy that fingerprints people at his work.

They come out much better if the customer knows what they are doing and fingerprints themselves.

ATF will send you as many FD-258 cards, as you would like. Have your local SO do the prints, or order the kit from Amazon, and try it yourself. Lots of success stories with roll your own. I've never taken that chance; I always order from ATF, and have a member of local Law Enforcement do the printing.