• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Michael Schumacher in coma, 'critical' after France ski accident

Duc

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2007
NE. Illinios
Grenoble (France) (AFP) - Michael Schumacher, the retired seven-time Formula One champion, was in a critical condition on Monday after suffering severe brain trauma in a skiing accident in the French Alps, doctors said.

The German racing legend, who turns 45 on Friday, had been skiing off-piste with his 14-year-old son in the upmarket Meribel resort when he fell and hit his head on a rock.

He was "suffering a serious brain trauma with coma on his arrival, which required an immediate neurosurgical operation", according to the hospital in the southeastern French city of Grenoble where he is being treated.

"He remains in a critical condition."

Shortly after the accident Meribel resort director Christophe Gernigon-Lecomte said Schumacher, who had been wearing a helmet, was "conscious but a little agitated".

But when Schumacher fell into coma, doctors realised the damage was worse than initially feared.

Two mountain police officers who gave first aid to Schumacher said he was suffering "severe cranial trauma" when they got to him and a helicopter was brought in to evacuate him within 10 minutes.

A renowned Parisian neurologist, doctor Gerard Saillant, arrived at the Grenoble hospital in a police car to help take charge of the famous patient.

Schumacher's wife Corinna was at his side with his two children, the hospital said.

The hospital statement was signed by the facility's neurosurgeon, the professor in charge of its anaesthesia/revival unit, and the hospital's deputy director.

Schumacher a 'crazy daredevil'

News of Schumacher's accident stunned the Formula One community and his former teammates joined thousands on Twitter in wishing him a speedy recovery.

"My thoughts are with Michael Schumacher at this tough time.. Michael more than anyone has the strength to pull through this," tweeted British F1 driver Jenson Button.

Schumacher's former teammate at Benetton Martin Brundle wrote on Twitter: "Come on Michael, give us one of those race stints at pure qualifying pace to win through, like you used to. You can do it."

He added that the German was "a crazy brave skydiving/bike racing daredevil".

Brazilian Formula One racing driver Felipe Massa said he was "praying for God to protect you my brother!! I wish you a speedy recovery Michael", the former Ferrari driver wrote.

The next update on Schumacher's condition would be given at 1000 GMT on Monday, a hospital spokesman said.

Police kept guard at the hospital's entrances as journalists and fans, some wearing the colours of the Formula One legend's former stable Ferrari, gathered outside awaiting news of his health.

Police have opened an investigation into the circumstances of the accident, the ski resort said.

Schumacher, who won the last of his world titles in 2004, definitively retired in 2012 in the Brazilian Grand Prix, in which he finished seventh, after an abandoned attempt to quit six years earlier.

Since his debut in 1991, the German towered over the sport, winning more Formula One world titles and races than any other. He had a record 91 wins and is one of only two men to reach 300 grands prix.

Schumacher's duels in his heyday with Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve, fired by an unquenchable competitive spirit, have gone down in Formula One lore.

Schumacher was born in January 1969 near Cologne, Germany, the son of a bricklayer who also ran the local go-kart track, where his mother worked in the canteen.

By 1987, Schumacher was the German and European go-kart champion and was soon racing professionally. In 1991 he burst into Formula One by qualifying seventh in his debut race in Belgium and a year later he was racing for Benetton, where he won his first Formula One grand prix in 1992.

After joining Ferrari in 1996, Schumacher achieved infamy by trying to ram Villeneuve off the road at Jerez in the last race of 1997, and was disqualified from the championship as punishment.

Over the next decade, he went from strength to strength, dominating the podium, before trying to retire the first time aged 37.

During his retirement he survived an accident that knocked him out when racing a motorbike in Spain.

That time he was released from hospital after just five hours.

But the father of two could not resist the lure of the track and in 2010 he signed a three-year deal with Mercedes.

But slower reflexes and a less competitive car meant Schumacher could not reproduce his former glory and he quit for good in 2012. His helmet had a message for fans: "Life is about passions -- Thank you for sharing mine."

I really hope he pulls through and especially with no long term side effects.

This last Sat I spent some time with a friend who had been texting with Michaels wife and they have been trying to bring him out from the induced coma however the progress is not exactly what they had hoped for. However, there is no clear schedule on how that recovery works so they are being strong for him and, as I understand it, having family/close friends talking to him with the hope that it helps his progress.

Freak accident.....too bad the outcome was so severe.

Fingers crossed for him.

Bild.de claims Schumey has gone into pneumonia. The family's official spokesman refuses to comment on speculation.

Even before the "news" of the pneumonia leaked out, a former F1 doctor, Gary Hartstein, opined that based on what facts have officially been released, and what he can deduce about his treatment from what he knows of standard medical practices, the outlook is "...Not good. Starting to be really not good."

The pneumonia has passed.

Michael's wife Corinna has put the kaibash on the press but Felipe Massa visited recently and said, "He looks normal and he also gave some reactions with the mouth and everything." Not quite sure what to make of that, but Felipe tried to paint it as a positive.

A German news magazine, Focus.de, is reporting doctors have halted the efforts to try to wake MSC.

This prompted the family spokesman Sabine Kehm to issue a non-denial ("no new developments"), which in itself was unusual.

They don't say how they came buy this information (no doubt with good reason), nor do they speculate what was happening that caused them to change treatment.

"Nach FOCUS-Informationen kam der Aufwachprozess nicht weit voran: Vorläufig habe er sogar abgebrochen werden müssen."

My German is not very nuanced but what I don't get from this is exactly what that infers, if anything. Does that mean they no longer are shaking him and whispering, "wakey, wakey!" or does that mean they have resumed zonking him with coma-inducing meds? But if they were forced to reverse course by brain injuries sustained 57 days ago, that to me sounds pretty grim.

In today's La Gazzetto dello Sport, they claim they got something of a sound bite from MSC's spokeman, Sabine Kehms, while she was attending the Geneva motor show in the company of Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo. What she said, allegedly, is that Schumacher is out of danger, but still in serious condition, and breathing without assistance.

However, also dated today (07 Mar), several other European sources are publishing a written statement from Kehms, which reads in its entirety (transmutilated into English), "Michael is still in the wake up phase. The situation has not changed. Any medical information published which is not confirmed by the team of doctors treating Michael or his management has to be considered as not valid."

Once more, the written statement is being portrayed elsewhere as a denial of the statement in La Gazzetta. But this is a non-denying denial that is a virtual carbon-copy of her earlier non-denials. The only way I can reconcile the two would be if Schumey long had been out of danger and breathing spontaneously but they simply had not stated so publicly. Maybe the La Gazzetta reporter simply caught Kehms in an ungaurded moment, or overheard her speaking privately to some unnamed third party.

Dr. Hartstein has not yet commented (in his blog) on today's non-news but in earlier statements he expressed alarm over possible damage to Michael's brain stem, noting that one of the brain stem's functions is to control "awakening and arousal of the brain" (arousal as to consciousness, not as to getting a boner, you buncha horn-dogs). And that he neither has awakened nor demonstrated voluntary movement could be an indication his brain stem is partially compromised, just not enough to shut down the breathing response.

I didn't remark to it because it wasn't really news but about a week ago, two other British physicians publicly offered what basically amounted to a seconding of Hartstein's opinions regarding MSC's (diminishing) chances for a recovery.

That he is breathing spontaneously is good news, but I'm not convinced it's enough.

EDIT:
Not worth a new post but one British tabloid (and I emphasize "tabloid") reported yesterday that the family has been told his only chance for improvement is a miracle. Dr. Hartstein's reaction is here.

Last edited:
A couple of days ago some of the Euro press was reporting Michael had lost about 45 lbs since the accident, and is down to 121. Then the usual publicity whores came out to offer an opinion on how that bodes ill for him. As usually happens when there is any "news" on Michael's condition, Dr. Hartstein takes a couple of days to catch his breath and then offers his take on the matter. Today he posted an update to his blog.

He says the weight loss isn't particular cause for concern, but then he goes on to speculate why Michael still is in an ICU bed instead of being moved somewhere closer to home.

...I think that serious lapses in judgement were evident during Michael’s initial management (I have this from usually impeccable sources who have access to this information). Because these lapses could (and almost certainly did) worsen the outcome in Michael’s case, it is possible that the staff at Grenoble feel duty-bound to NOT place any pressure on the family to transfer out, despite the terribly dismal prognosis . . . because of the clear (but unquantifiable) contribution of medical misjudgement to that prognosis.

France is such a nanny state, they spent weeks chasing their tails to confirm the ski resort's operators were not to blame for Michael's injury, even though he had deliberately skied out of bounds. Imagine the shit storm to come if they decide Doc Hartstein's sources are right.

EDIT:
That didn't take very long. UK's Daily Mail, a rather notorious tabloid, picked up on Dr. Hartstein's blog and is running in on their "front page."

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates Dobbs. I check in every once in a while hoping for good news.

Now Dr. Hartstein is backtracking on what he'd posted yesterday. Claims people were taking him out of context. Claims when he wrote that "serious lapses in judgement were evident during Michael’s initial management", he wasn't referring to any human errors -- not the first responders or ER staff or the brain surgeons -- but he was "very clearly criticising a system that allows head injured patients to be brought to non-neurosurgical centers, in the absence of other clear reasons to do so."

But he fails to explain, if it was so "very clear," how come 99% of the world got it wrong. Without that detail, I would not have wasted your time with an update to this thread. So that's the last I'll be posting to this thread from him, unless he happens to come up with a factual "scoop."

Sorry 'bout that.

As I understand it Michael is not waking up so they are being patient. He is able to wiggle his fingers but driven by stimulous but not through a request. Corrina still visits him daily and tells him about how everything else is going. Sounds like she is being a real trooper about this.

I will be talking with our mutual friends later today when I have more time and will post more if there is anything else post worthy.

Earlier today (4.4.2014), Schumacher family spokesman Sabine Kehms issued the following statement (English transmutilation via Google):

Michael is making progress on his way. He shows moments of consciousness and awakening. We are on his side during his long and difficult fight, together with the team of the hospital in Grenoble, and we keep remaining confident. We would like to thank you all for the continuous sympathies. At the same time we again ask for understanding that we do not intend to disclose details. This is necessary to protect the privacy of Michael and his family, and to enable the medical team to work in full calmness.

Good to hear he is starting to regain consciousness.

Last edited:
Today they're reporting Michael has opened his eyes and his eye movements show reaction to light and noise stimuli. As usual, the statement asks more questions than it answers.

Michael Schumacher is showing "small signs of progress" according to his manager, Sabine Kehm, who visits the German on a daily basis along with his family. Kehm, speaking to Germany's ARD, confirmed that the seven-time champion is often conscious and can "interact on a limit basis" with his surroundings. "There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," she said. "There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious. "Of course I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings. "I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field." She stressed that any interaction is "on a very limited basis", adding that "a medical prognosis is not possible" at this time, due to the severity of the injury. Kehm also urged fans and doctors who haven't even seen or treated the German, to avoid speculating about his condition. "What upsets the family most is media quoting doctors who are not treating Michael and untruths are constructed from these," she added. "It has been a problem when outsiders comment and it means we have to set the record straight, even when we don't want to."

Schumacher interacting on a limited basis - Kehm

There is a rumor circulating today -- which I suspect will gain world-wide distribution before the truth breaks cover -- that Michael Schumacher has awakened and recognized Corinna.

At this moment, I believe these stories to be false. It struck me as odd right off that all these stories -- citing a supposed statement from Sabine Kehm on German TV -- are appearing only in Spanish-language news sources. And the Germans have a virtual monopoly on Schumacher "scoops." Rooting around looking for the original source, I found a 'tweet' from Nicola Pohl, who writes for Germany's Bild magazine. Pohl tweets:
Nicola Pohl ‏@NicolaBILD 1h
Schumacher awake? Sorry, but those Rumors from Spain apparently not true. Kehm just texted me she hadn't confirmed anything to RTL
(RTL is a German TV network and magazine)

The Bild website is on my regular F1 news rounds, and it's the first place I would have expected to see any new information on Schumey's condition. And there's no mention of it there. Or anywhere else where they write in German. Or anywhere they write in anything except Spanish. And Pohl claims Sabine Kehm contacted him directly to contradict the story.

As long as I've reopened this thread, I thought I'd post some of the detritus from the last couple of weeks I didn't think merited a post of its own. Not citing which "medical experts" rendered these opinions, Germany's Stern magazine had a lengthy article agreeing with Dr. Gary Hartstein's assessment that errors in judgement in Michael's initial rescue -- underestimation of the potential seriousness of the damage -- only could have worsened his injuries.

And two men were caught trying to sneak into Michael's hospital room, one of them disguised as his father, apparently wanting to snap a pic with a phone camera (probably to sell to Bild).

EDIT:
Speaking to the tabloid Kölner Express, Kehm denies having made any statement to RTL concerning changes to Michael's condition.

Last edited:
There are reports (which I'm not altogether sold on) that Schumacher has been moved out of ICU and into rehab because his life no longer is on danger.

I first read this this morning on Marca.com, a Spanish F1 site, but they were one of the same sites that reported last April that he had awakened and recognized Corinna. That turned out to be a hoax the Spaniards themselves had instigated by faxing an unsubstantiated rumor to each other (probably a game to see which agencies would 'bite' without first fact-checking).

Today's story allegedly originated at Bunte, a German celebrity news weekly. As of yet, they have not posted the story online (at Bunte.de), and I do not have access to the print edition. However, several prominent English language news agencies are running the story, and citing Bunte.

But I still find it worrying that none of the non-English-language F1 I visit regularly have picked up on this. The German web sites are particularly prideful on being the first with Schumacher news, especially Bild (Bild.de), and it isn't like them not to post it if they believe it to be true, regardless of the source.

Even if true, this doesn't necessarily indicate that his condition has improved materially, only that he has gone some arbitrarily set period of time without suffering any setbacks.

There is disagreement among the differing news agencies as to whether he now is in rehab in the same (Grenoble) hospital or has been moved to a specialty facility. There was a story a couple of months ago (never substantiated) that Corinna had spent $17 million remodeling their Lake Geneva home, adding SOTA facilities to provide long term care for a severely disabled individual. They made it clear this was not a rehab facility, which was taken as an indication that Corinna had been briefed that no 'recovery' was to be expected. That particular story did not get much traction, and there were (unofficial) attempts to discredit it, but it does lend the possibility that Michael has been taken home.

A couple of weeks ago, Dr. Hartstein posted this grim assessment:
I’m quite afraid (and virtually certain) we will never have any good news about Michael.

EDIT:
More than a day later and the Bunte story is still the only original source. There's a growing number of news sites echoing that story, but the most prestigious German sites are still ignoring it.

Something just don't smell right.

Last edited:
Schumey no longer is comatose, and has in fact left the Grenoble hospital for a rehabilitation facility.

Here is the entire statement from Sabine Kehm, released today through Bild-Zeitung, transmutilated into English by Micro$loth Translator:

Michael left the CHU Grenoble, to continue his long period of rehabilitation. He is no longer in a coma.

His family would have afforded expressly the excellent work in these first months of for all physicians, nurses, nurses, and therapists in Grenoble as well as thank the first responders on the scene.

The family thanks to all the people who sent so many good wishes Michael. You have helped him.

Please understand that his more rehabilitation outside the public is to be for the future.

The complete Bild article (in German) is online here: Schumi ist wach!

EDIT:
This reads like a LeCarre novel. When they moved Michael, to guarantee his anonymity, they hired an ambulance from a service unconnected to either the hospital he was in, or the hospital to which he was being moved.

The ambulance drivers arrived looking for a Fake Name, and were told they'd have to surrender all their communications devices, or the deal was off. Apparently this was not a radio-dispatched emergency services vehicle, and I guess there are no roadside pay phones in Switzerland.

What they're saying now is that Michael is frequently in and out of consciousness (they're not saying "sleeping"). He's receiving therapy to try to improve his cognitive abilities, but is said to tire quickly, so the sessions are brief. So when Kehm announced so dramatically that he was out of the coma, she wasn't being entirely forthcoming.

In fact, this was nothing but a retooling of the announcement she already had made in early April, when she said he was conscious, opening his eyes, responding to stimuli, and interacting with his environment. Which meet the threhold of the Glasgow Coma Scale for elevating him from the category of comatose.

But that was in April. If he's made any impovement since that moment, if he has shown any reasoning ability or made any attempt to communicate, even unsuccessfully, there's been no news of it.

Last edited:
23 June 2014 Last updated at 15:21 ET
Michael Schumacher 'medical data offered for sale'

Medical files purporting to relate to F1 legend Michael Schumacher are being offered for sale, his management team has warned.

Manager Sabine Kehm said it was unclear whether the documents were genuine.

But she said they were "clearly stolen" and warned that criminal charges would be pressed if such "confidential files" were bought or published.

Schumacher, 45, was placed in a coma after a skiing accident in December but has now left hospital.
'Private and confidential'

It is not clear what the alleged medical data might contain or relate to.

However, in a statement Ms Kehm said: "For several days stolen documents and data are being offered for sale. The offerer claims them to be the medical file of Michael Schumacher.

"We cannot judge if these documents are authentic. However, the documents are clearly stolen. The theft has been reported."

She added: "The contents of any medical files are totally private and confidential and must not be made available to the public.
Michael Schumacher

Born: 3 January 1969
First GP win: Belgium 1992
Last GP win: China 2006
Races started: 303
Wins: 91 (155 podium finishes)
Championships: 7 (1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004

"We will therefore, in every single case, press for criminal charges and damages against any publication of the content or reference to the medical file."

Schumacher's management team announced on 16 June that the F1 champion had left hospital in Grenoble in France and was no longer in a coma.

Schumacher has been transferred to Lausanne university hospital in Switzerland.

The seven-time F1 champion was placed in a medically induced coma after suffering a severe head injury in a skiing accident in the French Alps on 29 December.

His management has tried hard to protect his privacy, saying the rehabilitation would "take place away from the public eye".

Medical experts say rehabilitation from this sort of injury could take months or years.

Investigators probing the accident said Schumacher had been going at the speed of "a very good skier" at the time of his crash in the resort of Meribel.

He had been skiing off-piste when he fell and hit a rock, investigators said.

Schumacher retired from racing in 2012 after a 19-year career.

He won two titles with Benetton, in 1994 and 1995, before switching to Ferrari in 1996 and going on to win five straight titles from 2000.
BBC News - Michael Schumacher 'medical data offered for sale'

I could care less about his medical files.

Was relieved to hear he is out of the coma and well enough to return home.

According to Bild, the name on the email offering the medical records for sale was "Kagemusha," Japanese for 'shadow warrior,' and also the title of a 1980 Kurosawa film. Asking price is €50,000. Police are investigating it as a crime.

The stolen records were computerized. The hospital's IT director claims there was no sign of intrusion, which could mean in was a very clever break-in, or could mean it was an inside job. Michael's records were filed under the name "Jérémy Martin," which the hacker would had to have known to know which records to filch. Which further points to an inside job.

The law of supply and demand dictates that the scarcer something is, the more valuable it becomes. So the harder Corinna tries to keep Michael's condition secret, the more incentive there is to steal the odd memento or snap the surreptitious cellphone pic.

Several sources are reporting that Schumacher might be discharged to home care next month. It was reported several weeks ago that Corinna had their home renovated to provide any long term care he might need. This story originally was published in Sonntagsblick, but I can't find it online. However, it is being repeated widely enough (with attribution to Blick) that I'm confident it's legit.

However, the UK Mirror (which is more tabloid than newspaper) also is reporting Schumey is communicating by fluttering his eyelids. They do not report how they came by this information. And it doesn't do the article's credibility any good that it goes on to mention potentially restoring his mobility with a "revolutionary microchip implant" to allow him to walk and to talk again.

EDIT:
Corinna is selling the family jet, a Falcon 2000EX. Asking price is 20M Euros.

I suspect this is not because they're hurting for money but out of sheer practicality. It was less impractical before the accident because Schumey was always flying somewhere. But the costliest airplane of all is one that you're not flying, because there are fixed costs -- insurance, hangar fees -- and calendar costs -- annual inspections, etc -- that you can't escape, but you're not getting any return on that investment.

As they say, if it flies, floats or fucks, it's cheaper to rent.

Last edited:
You ain't gonna believe this shit.

The Swiss police arrested a guy they believed had stolen Michael's medical records. Apparently he worked for the helicopter rescue service. And he hanged himself in his jail cell.

Or at least that's what the Swiss say. I think they let Rolf in to work him over.

German celebrity magazine Bunte(.de) is reporting that Schumey could be moved out of the rehab center and into the private care facility Corinna had built in their home by Christmas. Other news sources are citing Bunte but it must be print issue only because it isn't yet on their web site. Bunte happens to be the same source that got the news first, and got it right, when Michael was moved from ICU to the rehab facility.

They're reporting he still needs constant assistance, and no one can tell how much longer before he can talk, walk or start to remember events.

Sabine Kehm released a formal statement yesterday saying Michael was being moved to his home "forthwith." Just last week there was news he could be released to home care by Christmas. That obviously was a head feint.

EDIT:
The police have cordoned off Michael's house in Gland to drive away the rubberneckers. One Russian TV station tried to set up live streaming video from their front lawn. Got to love them Swiss, they don't want nobody's tranquility disturbed.

Last edited:
Bilde is reporting that Michael's home rehab facility is staffed with 15 doctors, nurses and therapists, enough to run a small clinic. Ironic, isn't it? He obviously took steps to insure his family's financial security was never in doubt, never realizing he'd be the chief beneficiary.

The article quotes a well-known German psychiatrist and brain researcher, who says that the familiar sights and smells of the home environment are important for reaching the emotional centers of the damaged brain.

If M. Schumacher had to spend 6 mos in the hospital jet to get to the point where he could be moved home - to continue his assisted rehab. This is bad. I wish him and his family the best. I hope he recovers to where he can enjoy a certain quality of life. I doubt he will ever function without some deficits. A tragic accident for a talented road warrior.