• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Michigan damage management assistance permit

I Am Hero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Well my friends dad owns about 700 acres of produce fields so each year he receives thousands of dollars worth of damage to his corn, turnips, squash, and carrots as a result of white tail deer. Michigan DNR approves him for 4-5 tags each year and I am on his list of hunters.

My friend amd I went out Monday night and each got ourselves some very nice sized doe (his is the larger in the truck that I realized put mine to shame. The weird fur is a result of dragging it out of the field). We were set up on a riser watching the edge of the corn field that was 311 yards out. The deer ended up walking out and crossing the ditch to our right about 50 yards away, but We let them walk out to 300 yards before taking the shot. We had both adjusted for 300 M (oops, still getting use to using mil/mil) so as you can see I hit a little high. Both deer dropped without moving a foot. He got his with hand loaded 162 SSTs in his 7mag and I shot mine with a 208 amax out of my 300 win mag.

We have two more tags to fill before the first of September so we are hoping to take a couple more of this weekend. We give them to some of the local migrant workers who take ever scrap of meat off those bones and we get homemade tortillas and tamales in exchange! Our freezers are still full from last years pest control amd season tags!

Cheers!

Growing up in Michigan I had a friend that use to say when the strawberry's are ripe so are the deer.....I have eaten a couple deer from late July and early August that fed on Michigan fields...some very good meat that time of year.