• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Micrometer for neck wall thickness

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
Looking to pick up a micrometer with the primary purpose of measuring neck wall thickness of brass, but would also like to use it for other things as well. I was thinking about a Mitutoyo but they have a large variety of anvil styles, tube, ball etc etc. In order to measure the inside of the neck I know I need a round anvil, but would this effect functionality in other types of measurements (as a simple example say bullet diameter or neck diameter)? What micrometers do you guys have and love?

I would save a little money and look at spi or fowler. Either would be plenty good for checking neck thickness. Mitutoya is great quality and will last forever but imho it is a little overkill for checking neck thickness. Either way a unimic with a ball attachment or a round pin would do you fine. As far as being versatile if you use a flat block it would work for most things but maybe not as good as a regular mic. I would check with msc or another industrial supply company before i bought from a reloading supplier. I find it to be a little cheaper.
Good luck

Its actually going to end up being a gift, so as long as its around 150, shouldn't be too much of an issue. Of course if there are better or as good options for less money, that's fine too.

Edit: That is to say, somebody else wants to know what to get me for a gift. I'm not buying it as a gift for somebody else.

Last edited:
ns,

Look at the Mitutoyo one K&M modifies by grinding the stem/contact point to a smaller diameter for more a smaller area.

HTH,
DocB

Take a look at the Sinclair/Starrett model. I have used one for many years and accurate to .0001.