• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Micrometer scope base???

guther

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
NC
I searched and could not find any information on this. Does anyone use a micrometer scope base? One company that makes them is Ivey Shooting. I want to be able to shoot at longer range (past 1500 yds) and stay closer to the center of my scope. Thanks for ant info provided.
Guther

Re: Micrometer scope base???

I have two models I am setting up. Takes a lil bit of tweaking but when done are really nice. I tried them both out this weekend out to 800 yards and was very close with using calculations and the dial indicator. Slight tweaking and they should be right on. They have 110 available MOA adjustment up and -5 MOA down.

newmountsabove.jpg

Here is link to his site. Call him up with any questions, he's a great person and always glad to offer help on those mounts. He's in Selma Alabama so you could prob drive over and see what he has to offer and maybe even try one out on one of his guns.

http://vgmount.com/

Topstrap

I tried the Leatherwood 4D and upon inspection and trying to mount it, found impossible to flushly mount, due to poor manufacturing (bolts not shaved flush on bottom of rail) and the threading was weak or completely stripped in each scope mount hole. Very very shotty work. I then found out is was made in china with crap soft steel, so I sent it back.

I have been talking with Ivey for a while but concerned about the locking system and it being robust enough for a .50BMG.

The VGMount rail above looks nice but doesnt have fine (MOA) tuning to it. Yeah I know I can dial it in with my scope and the rail adjusting both but want something precise that locks down tight.

Regards,

Mountain Rogue

Ya might give Chris a call at Miracle Machine and see what he thinks about one on a 50. It's ultra precise using the dial indicator but not sure he's tried one on a 50 yet. I think he's got some on 338's with no problems though.

Topstrap

MR,

I've seen Chris pick up his rifle by the scope, while saying "It looks like I broke the scope mount" to see the looks on a new guys face. The VGM pivots, and then settles back into position when the scope is released. It's very repeatable, works with the fifty, and reasonably priced. The mount itself is less than an inch high. But like you said, fine adjustment is better made with the scope adjustments. Your reticle setting won't be fixed due to the usual culprits; temperature, pressure, humidity.

HTH,
DocB