• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater MicroProse is back!

IrishWind

Laughing at the Absurdity of it all
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2003
NoVa
Anyone who has played a PC video in the 90s know who they are. They had a good stable of games, including a few military base games/sims. And it looks like their initial offerings will be military based. First is a Soviet/US conflict in Eastern Afghanistan in 1991. Kinda want to see the set up for that, but OK. And then a WW2 shooter that will be more realism than Call of Duty. This is needed. But what got me happy is this:

I loved Harpoon and Harpoon2, and Jane's Fleet Command was alright. And I was sad when Harpoon4 was canceled during the .com bubble burst in 2000. But hoping this is a winner.

Anyone who has played a PC video in the 90s know who they are. They had a good stable of games, including a few military base games/sims. And it looks like their initial offerings will be military based. First is a Soviet/US conflict in Eastern Afghanistan in 1991. Kinda want to see the set up for that, but OK. And then a WW2 shooter that will be more realism than Call of Duty. This is needed. But what got me happy is this:

I loved Harpoon and Harpoon2, and Jane's Fleet Command was alright. And I was sad when Harpoon4 was canceled during the .com bubble burst in 2000. But hoping this is a winner.

I used to play the Harpoon table top game when the Apple IIc was the pinnacle of PCs.

Reactions: IrishWind
I have the minatures version, both with the Udaloy on the cover, and the mid 90s updated Harpoon4. Plus Command at Sea, which uses the same rules modified for WW2 battles. Oh to dream of when I can have a full afternoon for a battle like that again.

I'd never heard of "MicroProse" but back in the 90's I had the "Jane's Longbow II" and that was REALLY quite the game/simulator.

MicroProse was a publisher, like EA and Activison are now. And I miss the Janes' games. The Study sims were a bit too detailed but still fun. Survey Sims, like USAF, had the nice balance of realism and fun.

JANES!!!!! so many hours in those games.

Micropose also published I think civilization 1 and 2.

When I used the Janes pubs it was here:
US_Navy_090722-N-4124C-001_U.S._Naval_Academy_midshipmen_inspect_bridge_equipment_aboard_the_guided-missile_cruiser_USS_Normandy_(CG_60).jpg

There were no Mil or "secret "pubs that were any better for ship/plane identification than the open source Janes pubs.

Fookin Middies. Who the fuck stands watch in whites on a ship? The only time I ever wore whites on a ship we were in a port call in Sasebo in 2002. And it was an all hands reception (open food, open bar) in the hanger deck for local VIPs. Bad news was the Admiral of the Carrier Battle Group had a standing order of "No more than 2 alcoholic beverages in an 8 hour period when ashore". But we were at anchor in the bay. So the good news is the Sea Lawyers in the squadrons quickly realized a critical element of the Admiral's orders was missing. I still have no idea how I got back to my stateroom. And from reports of others, umm, let us just say the Admiral was not happy with the airwing the next day. :D

Janes is great OSINT. I do like Combat Fleets from the USNI for ships better. But for single sourcing Janes is hard to beat.

My favorite game of all time was European Airwar! I do so wish that was available again with updated graphics and a Microsoft Sidewinder!!!