• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Microtech OTF knife - blade steel

Chief_Rick

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2020
MS Gulf Coast/World Traveler
Looking to buy my first OTF knife for EDC.

The three I have been looking at are the Microtech Ultratech, the Microtech Dirac and the Benchmade Phaeton.

The Benchmade has a blade made of CPM S30V. The Microtech's blades are made of "Premium Steel".

What is premium steel?

The Microtech's are both lower priced than the Benchmade.

Which is a better buy? Which is more durable?

From the MicroTech site:
1693684357475.png

My M/T Troodon is marked "204P." I've been happy with it. It's my only M/T and my only OTF. I don't own any Benchmade knives... though, lots of Spydercos.

microtech.jpg

Reactions: Chief_Rick
My son got me in to knives, all Microtech. Personally, I’d choose a Microtech. I’d go to a good dealer and try a bunch out, you’ll most likely find one you prefer. My son has quite a few, I have 4 I think. My wife bought me a very limited edition Marfione for Christmas last year. It’s cool but I don’t carry it very often, I’m afraid I’ll lose it. They are kinda addictive, once you get one you’ll want another one. There are a few very good dealers around if you can find them that carry some unique Microtechs.

This place in Nashville has some really cool Microtech’s if you ever visit the area.

Last edited:
So if you plan on using it then you will need to maintain the edge. That said I would rather spend 10 mins in the octagon with an 800 pound lowland gorilla than sharpen S30v without the help of diamond... I honestly prefer steels along the lines of cpm 154, b390, d2 etc... for the ease of maintenance given the fact I use em. All modern steels honestly are more than capable. If you are in a saltwater environment then some other considerations come into play and you might want to look into materials like talonite or stellite.

Last edited:
My son got me in to knives, all Microtech. Personally, I’d choose a Microtech. I’d go to a good dealer and try a bunch out, you’ll most likely find one you prefer. My son has quite a few, I have 4 I think. My wife bought me a very limited edition Microtrch for Christmas last year. It’s cool but I don’t carry it very often, I’m afraid I’ll lose it. They are kinda addictive, once you get one you’ll want another one. There are a few very good dealers around if you can find them that carry some unique Microtechs.

This place in Nashville has some really cool Microtech’s if you ever visit the area.
I am a knifeaholic, have been for over 50 years. I have collected Microtechs as well since long before they were available to civilians. They are incredibly well made and great knives. That said in the world of knives today there has been a loss of transparency. Lots of products are misrepresented as to where they are made, sadly this includes some MT's. So do your research and make sure that if the one you want is taiwan made, you are paying a price that reflects its origin. Caveat Emptor.

So do your research and make sure that if the one you want is taiwan made, you are paying a price that reflects its origin.

I don't know about M/T knives made in Taiwan. Mine is marked "USA."

But, I'll say the Spyderco models made in Taiwan are SUPERB quality.

I am a knifeaholic, have been for over 50 years. I have collected Microtechs as well since long before they were available to civilians. They are incredibly well made and great knives. That said in the world of knives today there has been a loss of transparency. Lots of products are misrepresented as to where they are made, sadly this includes some MT's. So do your research and make sure that if the one you want is taiwan made, you are paying a price that reflects its origin. Caveat Emptor.
Thanks, good info to know. There’s a dealer in Tyler, TX we buy mostly from. I think most all of our knives came from the same dealer. He invited me back to the secret area one day, a safe where he keeps the really good stuff. I was like a kid in a candy store. That place I posted above in Nashville had one of the best collections we’ve seen. It’s an odd business with some unique, high end stuff. He had some of the best knives I’ve seen.

Reactions: ACard
Here are a few I have. The one on the left is a Heretic, made by one of the Marfiones, maybe one of the sons. I forgot the story but it’s a cool knife. I believe ten were made, this was is S/N004.

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    487.2 KB · Views: 53
Here are a few I have. The one on the left is a Heretic, made by one of the Marfiones, maybe one of the sons. I forgot the story but it’s a cool knife. I believe ten were made, this was is S/N004.
Correct, Tony's son is the owner of Heretic

Reactions: FuhQ
I’ve got 204P on my LUDT and it keeps an edge very well. Bought it as a coming home from deployment present to myself 3 years ago and it carried it every day since. It’s a great knife.

I'd personally go with the MT over the BM. Another 2 to look at are the Heretics and Guardian Tactical. As far as I'm aware, all 4 brands I just mentioned are entirely made in the USA. GT is at least as high in quality as a MT, and priced a slight bit lower. Heretic has a couple interesting looking features, and is also on quality par. Any of the common blade steels can be sharpened with diamonds, it's not really a big deal at all. Get a KME sharpener, for $200~ you can get everything you need, in diamond.

I’ve got 204P on my LUDT and it keeps an edge very well. Bought it as a coming home from deployment present to myself 3 years ago and it carried it every day since. It’s a great knife.
What's the button feel like on it? Any grit feel? Do you have any other autos to compare it to?

I think the button is great. It can get a little gritty after a while, but a little CLP or oil fixes it up. The tension on it is where you won’t accidentally fire it, but I’ve never found it fiddly like some of the Benchmades I’ve had.

The main auto I’ve had to compare it to is the BM Auto-Styker. I will say I like the LUDT more in every category. The action fires way harder and the knife opens faster. I always thought the auto Stryker was a bit anemic.

The only complain I have about my LUDT is that the pocket clip has become a little looser than I’d like just from carrying it so much in uniform with thicker fabric pushing the clip away from the knife body. Just makes it not grip my thinner clothes as well and I worry about losing it sometimes.

If you’re on the fence I’d say give it a go, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Reactions: plinkin
I had a micro tech , OTF , loved that knife , hard to sharpen though, lost it somewhere, still hopeful it will turn up ,kinda pricey, most I've ever paid for a pocket knife., got scamed on one before I got a real one , still have it unfortunately, guy came by the job site selling them , couple of us ironworkers bought some not realizing they all had the same serial # , Chinese knockoffs .

I've had a Guardian Tactical OTF for about 2 yrs. Its nice. But the mechanism must be getting some pocket lint in it as its starting to not lock out.

I regularly carry my Microtech Ultratech and have never worried about it accidentally opening in my pocket. The force it takes to open the knife appears to me to preclude having the knife open accidentally while it's in your pocket.

I've been collecting and carrying Microtechs since 2005... Awesome knives, amazing warranty and customer service. I also have a Heretic Manticore, and it's an amazing knife. I had no idea it was one of Tony's sons, but that makes sense to the quality and design now. Glad both my favorite OTF brands are made by Marfione's. 👍🏼

I wish Microtech had an option for a blade steel like Cruwear. I've seen some Spider Co blades in Cruwear do some scary things that many of the "super steels" can't.

I really like my MicroTech OTF and it's my EDC. As far as Bench Made is concerned, I avoid them. Here's why:

I really like my MicroTech OTF and it's my EDC. As far as Bench Made is concerned, I avoid them. Here's why:

Interesting.
The first half of the video about helping the local PD destroy firearms can potentially be explained away fairly easily. For the second half regarding their donations, well, there's no excuse for that.
I don't tend to buy from BM because their quality control is so-so and they're overpriced for the types of blade steels they use.
Now I guess I have more reasons.

Reactions: Longshot231
"I've seen some Spider Co blades in Cruwear do some scary things"

Like what?

"I've seen some Spider Co blades in Cruwear do some scary things"

Like what?
Cut things in a way that I've never seen knives cut before. Like it starts cutting as soon as it touches the surface of the medium. No pressure necessary. Crazy stuff like that.