• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mid cost entry rifle and gear

AW24

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2022
Canada
I am currently looking to get into long range/precision shooting, and would like advice on what to buy. I just got a membership at a range that has targets up to 500m (about 550 yards), so let us call that my max distance I will be shooting for now. I was looking at shooting either .308, .223 or 6.5 Creedmoor, but I have now decided on .308 for a number of reasons, I could be convinced otherwise however.

I have limited experience shooting .308, 6mm, 30-06 and .375 H&H up to 300m (330 yards).

My budget is low to mid range, would love to keep it all to <1500usd, but I could stretch to 2000.

I recognize this is an expensive sport/hobby, and like any sport, especially at the beginning, the latest best gear is not as necessary as the practice, so I am ok with sacrificing some quality of product, in order to buy more ammo and shoot more. I see this as an activity I can improve and grow in as I go through life, and there will be time to upgrade later.

My main question is, for a beginner such as myself, based on the info I have provided, would you have any recommendations for the gun, scope, and whatever other gear I would need - additional gear is something I would like to know more about, in addition to the rifle and scope what are the other essential pieces of gear for a beginner?

Some additional info: I plan on mostly target shooting, but would like the ability to hunt deer (this ruled out .223 for me). As well, I will be shooting up to 550 yards for now, but the ability to shoot out to a mile would be nice for future (which is also why I eliminated .223). 6.5 isn't ideal because I find it a bit expensive and elusive right now in comparison to .308.

Over at reddit I kept getting recommended the Bergara B-14 HMR and the Tikka T3x CTR.

I will be in the Rockies of British Columbia, if that information is relevant.

Hope I didn't write too much, but I wanted to be detailed.

Thanks again if you read this far!

Surprised you haven't gotten any responses to this yet, but: I went with the B14 HMR myself originally. While the function of the thing is pretty good, and honestly the factory stock is excellent with the addition of an ARCA rail (useful for shooting off a tripod, but not necessary), I find the rest of the gun somewhat lacking. It's highly upgradeable, don't get me wrong, and if it was just a trigger upgrade and an ARCA rail I'd say go for it. If you went bigger money and got the HMR Pro (much better bolt, TriggerTech trigger, and stainless + cerakoted action and barrel), I think you can really start to capitalize on a solid package well below the custom price tier.

Unfortunately, my personal experience was that it needed a new barrel. The factory barrel wouldn't print a solid 5-shot group, although I'm sure they shipped it with a nice sub-MOA 3-shot target to cover their accuracy guarantee. I put a $650 Hart barrel on it and it improved immediately, but that's not what you want for a mid-price entry gun. I don't know that others experience this issue, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Conversely, I haven't heard any Tikka owner yet gripe about their gun; quite the contrary.

Sincerely,
A Semi-Remorseful Bergara Owner

I've shot a couple HMR Pro's, they shoot very well. I've heard the same thing about the B-14. Definitely not the same quality barrel on both. Tikka puts out a nice rifle as well. Don't think you will go wrong with either.

Your listed requirements: 1) initial target shooting to 550 yards, 2) hunting deer, 3) shoot out to a mile in the future. You seem to indicate desire for 308. However, to me, those requirements would lead to three to separate rifles.

You said 1500 USD, is that for everything, or just the rifle? I understand it to be for everything.
With todays lack of availability and high prices, that will be a tough nut to crack.
The Bergara would be a pretty solid pick.
Howa does catalog a 24" HB .308 in the hogue stock, those are usually very reasonably priced, you can usually pick one up and drop it in a KRG Bravo or Oryx chassis and have less than 1100 USD invested.
That leaves you about 400 for optics, which typically means China, unless you go with the SS 10 or 12 power scopes, which are excellent scopes, but dated in design.

Tikka ctr will shoot great from the start and is solid enough to build off of later. $1100

Euro optic still has gen2 pst's with the 2c reticle on sale for $550-$650. You get alot of scope for that price.

Add in some good rings for $100 and you'll be ready to go for $1850.

As far as other accessories, the basics are a bipod and rear bag. A brake will be helpful too.

Reactions: Draftpick
I have a Tikka Tac A1 in .308, it shoots awesome. I highly recommend it.

I just bought a used Tikka T3 in a KRG Bravo chassis for $900 on here. If you put an Arken Optic on top you'd be inside your budget and I don't think you'd find a better value action/chassis/optic combo in your price range, especially if you're only shooting out to 550 yards (I have a $400 Arken EP-4 and a $1500 Vortex Razor Gen 2 and I don't really notice a drop in clarity until beyond 600 yards).

I made the Bergara HMR mistake. Its a smooth action, but unfortunately the accuracy completely falls apart with their barrels as they heat up even after only 5 or 6 consecutive rounds.

I have owned 2 custom actions. They were very underwhelming for the money, and I actually like my Tikka action more. The only downsides to Tikka is that the aftermarket support isn't quite as high as the R700 footprint. But the factory Tikka trigger (with a $10 spring mod) is right up there with the Timneys and Triggertechs that I've owned. And KRG makes some great chassis for Tikka. If I could go back in time I would have bought a Tikka from the very beginning and never looked back.

I think buying a .308 to learn on is a smart way to go. Factory match 6.5 creedmoor ammo has been over 2.25/round for over a year now. And barrel life is better with the .308. If you get bitten by the PRS bug, it will be easy to have a new barrel in a flatter shooting caliber spun up for the Tikka, or there are several pre-fit barrel options now as well.

As for other gear, go with a Harris bipod, don't go any cheaper. And a quality set of rings (like Seekins or Vortex PMR).

I have owned 2 custom actions. They were very underwhelming for the money, and I actually like my Tikka action more. The only downsides to Tikka is that the aftermarket support isn't quite as high as the R700 footprint. But the factory Tikka trigger (with a $10 spring mod) is right up there with the Timneys and Triggertechs that I've owned. And KRG makes some great chassis for Tikka. If I could go back in time I would have bought a Tikka from the very beginning and never looked back.

I think buying a .308 to learn on is a smart way to go. Factory match 6.5 creedmoor ammo has been over 2.25/round for over a year now. And barrel life is better with the .308. If you get bitten by the PRS bug, it will be easy to have a new barrel in a flatter shooting caliber spun up for the Tikka, or there are several pre-fit barrel options now as well.

And a quality set of rings (like Seekins or Vortex PMR).
^^^
Smooth reliable action + accurate barrel + excellent single stage trigger =
Tikka

Stick with the factory stock for lighter weight

Get a heavier contour barrel to keep from stringing as your barrel heats up

Reactions: OG10