• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mid-length 5.56 Daniels Defense vs LaRue Ultimate Upper vs Other

CAPTAIN INSANO

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2018
Hey guys, after my LaRue AR-10 6.5CM Ultimate Upper build I've been lusting for amother AR15 in 5.56/.223. I have a early 90s stock Colt Match-HBar with iron sights that I inharented...I plan on leaving that way for sentimental value.

So...after shooting the LaRue AR-10 I built the other day from the UU Kit I was absolutely blown away by the trigger and smoothness of the gun. Between my perceived (real or other) quality of the LaRue trigger assembly and cycling I've decided it's time for another AR-15.

I plan on using the gun for plinking and self defense (100 yards max with most action 10 to 50 yards)...thinking a 14 or 16" barrel with a Aimpro reddot.

I really don't have a fixed budget, thinking upto 1500 and thenjoy add for the Aimpro...been to a bunch of shops and handled quite a few ARs. I'm certain I want a floating barrel, no iron sights, and a GOOD trigger similar to the one in my LaRue AR-10 the MBT-2S.

I'm leaning towards a DDmk4v7 and upgrade the trigger, or another LaRue UU with a Stealth barrel. I've also looked at LMT and LWRC, along with KAC...not a fan of LWRC barrels. KAC is more than I can see spending on an AR for my purposes, I don't know a lot about LMT and the nearest dealer is like 3 hours away. I know I could order one to my local dealer but would like to hold one first.

Any other brands or considerations for 1300 to 1500ish? My priorities are reliability, non-proprietary parts, and good customer support if needed.

Build or have one built for you by a trusted LGS, ADCO, CLE, Craddock, MSTN, or a similar quality shop. Going to be miles better than anything off the shelf.

If you are using it for home defense/self defense and 100y max, then you should really do an 11.5in pistol-->sbr when you want. No reason to go longer. I can give a parts list if you are interested.

Build or have one built for you by a trusted LGS, ADCO, CLE, Craddock, MSTN, or a similar quality shop. Going to be miles better than anything off the shelf.

If you are using it for home defense/self defense and 100y max, then you should really do an 11.5in pistol-->sbr when you want. No reason to go longer. I can give a parts list if you are interested.
Sure shoot me a PM with your recommended parts

If you loved the Larue seems your answer is clear ;)
Hard to beat the price and value of their UU kits.

I would go with more of a duty use style gun for your application. DD offers a CHF chrome lined barrel that will outlast the Larue. DD barrels are quality and known to be accurate, but their compete guns are overpriced Imo.

I would recommend building around a DD barrel it look into BCM who makes great duty rifles. The Geiselle URG is sound $700-800 for the base version and uses DD barrel with a great handguard. Just add lower if your choice

I think the Larue UU kits are a great deal for sure or go with the DD. I have 10 ar's, now and I have owned all the top companies out there. I love DD though! You can pick them up on gunbroker now pretty decent. I think for a factory gun it is the best option. If you are gonna build then the options are unlimited and I would recommend Craddock. For the money and what you get he is awesome. My 14.5" I have from him is the smoothest shooting I ever shot, including my JP! Plus his prices are great and amazing customer service! You can send him the parts and just pick a barrel too. The slap it on a lower.

Reactions: bmash
If it is going to be more of a duty/home defense type gun, I would really consider getting something from Bravo Company. I’ve got a Mk 12 clone from them and the gun shoots great. Everything fits together on it really well - no rattle.

If you like the LT trigger, you’ll probably want to pick up a different trigger to replace the mil-spec one it comes with. Having said that, mine still has the original trigger, and it hasn’t kept me from shooting the rifle decently well.

I like it well enough that I’m thinking about getting one of their 11.5” pistols for home defense.

I love my larue .260 tOBR and grendel UU kit, but i carry a BCM 14.5" midlength in the trunk of my patrol car everyday and i wouldn't buy anything else for that purpose. I've run them in pretty harsh conditions and they go forever. look up the article pat rogers (rip) wrote about his bcm upper he didn't clean for 40k+ rounds.

Another vote for BCM mid length 14.5.-complete rifle or upper/lower combo. BFH barrel. Sweet shooter. Then pick up a Larue MBT right now for under $100.

I have a DD M4V1 from 2009 I’d carry anywhere without hesitation. I’ve used a bunch of BCM components and would have no qualms going that direction either.

I’ve built an SBR too, but it’s hard to think of a reason I’d ever run a barrel that short for anything other than amusement or dedicated suppressor use. Running a rifle that’s 30 inches in length versus 35 is not getting me much (if anything).

I’ve carried DD, Noveske, and BCM at work. My current is a KAC 14.5. KAC is the absolute, bar none, best out there. But, there are others that are also great guns. Stick with any of the top end guns and you’ll be great. It becomes personal preference at a certain point.

For a <100m defensive rifle, LMT 10.5 or Colt 6933. I like Larue products... I had one of their stealth barrels converted for use in my LMT MRP and it is the most accurate off the self production barrel I have used, but that doesn't really matter in your case. DDs have just never interested me, too much laser etching, you pay extra for furniture that looks like it came from a renaissance fair, and over priced rails that are forced on you. Other than that they are good rifles. LMT is my preferred brand but for some reason, they have had some QC related issues where they just flat out forget to drill and pin the FSB (my rifle) or forget to put the forward assist in (not mine), so i would prefer to be eyes on before i buy an LMT at this point in time. LMT, Colt, DD, BCM, in that order for me. You are really splitting hairs when you are talking about Larue vs DD vs LMT vs Colt etc.