• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mid-power FFP - Mark5, Razor gen II or Burris XTR III ?

Undertow

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
Lehigh Valley,PA
I am looking for a mid-power (3-18 ish) scope for 800 yds and under target shooting and station hunting use.

Max budget is $2,000.
I believe I have narrowed it down to these three:
Mark 5 3.6-18
Razor Gen II 3-18
Burris XTR-III 3.3 - 18

most important:

- optical quality ( I’m very sensitive to CA)
- turret ease of use
- build quality
- FFP

not as important to me: weight, reticle

My questions:

1) I have handled the higher power versions of the Mark 5 and Razor, but I can’t find the mid range versions locally to see. Am I giving up anything major on optical quality with the 3-18 versions of these scopes?

2) of the three, which one would you go for and why?

3) Am I missing any obvious other options in the price range that would do better for my needs ?

Thanks,

GB

I just made a similar choice and went with the XTR III. You can find reviews from anyone suggesting one of these over the others. However, I highly respect Glassaholic / Dark Lord of Optics and what he said in his review and comments left on similar threads. "It is my personal opinion that the Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50 is the best overall scope in its class ($1500 - $2000) and offers a great value for its price." However, worth noting, which could easily push you away from the XTR III is the thin reticle (SCR2) on the 3.3-18x model + no illumination as of now.

Reactions: Undertow
If you want light weight go for the MK5hd.
If you want illumination and a good reticle go for the Razor.
If you want good glass go for the XTR3.

If you want a good all round optic then wait for the XTR3 with illumination.
Have it on good authority that's it's due out before Christmas 2025.

I don't believe you could go wrong with anyone of them. I have the Mark 5 with the illuminated TMR recticle and I have hit a 36 inch plate with a 16 inch barrel AR in 556/223 at 1,002 yards with this optic. It's in a 0 moa mount. You can dial elevation with that caliber on a 0 moa mount? Unreal. Glass is super clean, turret are awesome. Can't wait to smash some coyotes with it this fall.

The Mk5 3.6-18 has some chromatic aberration, which is a tradeoff for it being so short. I also dislike CA, but I don't really notice it in the field with the Mk 5, only when shooting paper. The image is otherwise very clear. The parallax adjustment is spot on for mine, and the fast focus eyepiece is convenient. The fixed zero stop can be annoying when zeroing, since it only allows you to dial under half a mil.

I'd say consider the NF NX8 2.5-20 as well. I've got tons of rounds behind the bigger Mk5s (have them on both comp guns) and really like them so was quite tempted to go with the 3.6-18 for a crossover/long range hunter but ended up going with the NX8 mainly because the weight is about the same (28 vs 29oz, I believe) but I find that with a FFP optic for hunting illumination is necessary and Leupy have a huge upcharge for illum and the only reticles they offer with it (TMR or T3) are each a bit too far to either end of the spectrum for me. I got the NX8 with the Mil-XT reticle which imo is one of the nicest reticles out there and it comes with illum. So far I'm pretty happy with the scope but only have maybe 100rds down range behind it.

Tract toric may be worth a look, they have a 4-20 albeit comes with a 30mm tube.
I'm waiting for @z71rat to recommend the arken

Last edited:
Might also want to look at the Razor HD LHT 4.5-22. Seems to be getting some love from Glassaholic as well as Ilya. Once funds allow it's one of the options I'm gonna look at for my MWS.

Last edited: